Suhrly you can help me decide?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by King Loudness, Jan 30, 2012.

1. King Loudness

King Loudness Member

Hey guys,

Since ordering my Modern and receiving it back in September, I've become converted. ALL of my other guitars (aside from my Martin which I use to teach lessons and a couple beaters that haven't yet sold) have been sold off and I'm looking to put the funds into another guitar, but I'm not sure what to get. Part of me wants another Modern as I love the feel of mine so much, but I also think that maybe I should get something different (Classic T) to have another "voice." Here are the specs of my Modern: Basswood body, flamed maple top, quartersawn maple neck/fretboard, SS jumbos, recessed Gotoh 510TS-FE1 tremolo, Suhr Aldrich humbuckers. I primarily play either riff based hard rock or more progressive fusion/shreddy stuff, though I do dabble in just about every other style from time to time. Anyone got any ideas for me? Here are the two I was throwing around:

1. Classic T: Alder body, maple neck/rosewood fretboard, SS frets, contoured like a Strat, H-S-H pickup configuration w/coil tap, Gotoh tremolo bridge, metallic finish

2. Standard: Ash body, maple neck, SS frets, Gotoh tremolo, H-S-S pickup configuration, drip finish.

Opinions?

W.

2. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

I think that all Suhrs look totally sweet, but if I already had a Modern, of the two you listed, I'd get the T.

I love their drip finishes, by the way -- a drip-finished T would be def

3. QQQ

QQQ Member

The classic T.

4. King Loudness

King Loudness Member

Forgot to mention, if anyone else has any other cool Suhr specs to share that I might like, fire away!

W.

5. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Don't call me Suhrly - sorry, couldn't resist!

6. artguy47

artguy47 Ol' CuRmUGeOn

Always happy to help anyone spend their GAS savings, as I've already depleted mine, several times over...

I'm currently waiting for my first modern, which happens to be a set neck(due in March!). Seeing as you are thinking of ash, why not wait for the roasted body?

Had planned on placing Suhr #3 this month, but will wait and get a roasted ash modern, set neck, with a roasted maple neck. Have played two of the roasted Suhrs, a standard and a modern, believe me they are worth the wait. The modern was very light, 6.18lbs, and sooooo resonate! Have to try one to believe how good it is!

The only problem, not sure when I'll be able to order... Fortunately, still need to thin the herd, so not short of axes.

7. simplecomplexity

simplecomplexity Senior Member

go for the standard! stick to your strat roots! :)

8. King Loudness

King Loudness Member

Hmm... that actually hit me after seeing Pete Thorn's new roasted Classic S here on TGP... a roasted ash/maple Classic T with trem and a versatile pickup configuration... hmm.

I don't love Strats for some odd reason... I've had many of them from cheap to costly and I've sold every one of them... must be a feel thing.

W.

9. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

get a roasted T with SSC system and single coils. The will make a nice contrast to your modern

10. Lambone

Lambone Supporting Member

I had a Carved Top Standard once. Made the mistake of selling it to stashman. Possibly the most resonant guitar I've ever owned.

11. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

This is the direction I think I would lean. I might opt for a humbucker in the neck, but I would get a broadcaster bridge pick-up in a Classic T.

Of the four variations of Suhr Classic T I have owned, three had at least humbuckers in the neck. Two had dual hums, one had the classic single coil pair, and one had a neck hum and bridge single. They all sounded and played fabulously.

The two with twin hums excelled under gain. But then, they both had maple tops, one with a mahogany body and neck, one with an alder body and maple neck. Both had rosewood fretboards.

The traditional swamp ash blackguard model with two singles played and sounded great. it had a soft V one-piece maple neck.

The most recent model was a swamp ash body with a big V vulcanized maple neck. The guitar pick-ups of single and hum with splitting were quite versatile, and the combination of the lightweight swamp ash and the big Vulcanized maple neck was remarkably resonant.