Suhrs...generally voiced bright?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Paul Conway, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

I've tried three alder/rosewood Suhr Classics in recent months. To me that should be a fairly warm combo. However, each of those guitars was acoustically very bright and not particularly fat in the mids. Is this just how they voice their guitars, or was the sample unrepresentative?

2. Lewkk

Lewkk Member

I kinda agree, I had an alder/rw and a basswood/maple/rw Suhr(kept the basswoood)and both guitars definetly have loads of clarity and high midrange(without being 'hi-fi') but lack bottom end and low midrange going through both a Cornford and a VHT.
    I would guess it's 90% down to the way the pickups are voiced. I did think about changing the pickups at first for my usual BKP combos but after using it in a studio situation I didn't because they cut through and record really really really well.

3. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I don't think my Classic is particularly bright, but my Suhr Pro is very, very bright.

4. xroads

xroads Member

I got the same impression, and in the beginning, it kind of turned me off. However, I quickly learned to use the vol./tone knobs, and now I usually have them turned down a bit. In the meantime, I feel that the other Strats I play are a bit dull and lack clarity...

5. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

I think that their clarity and even response can make them seem too bright at first, especially if you're used to playing Fenders. I also find that the lighter wood that Suhr uses lends itself to more of an upper mid/treble response, and heavier wood has more of a thick lower mid bump. At first, I thought it was the pickups, too. However, after swapping FLs and V60s into my Fender, I think it's more wood choice and construction.

It didn't take me long to get used to the different tonal response, and, like Lewkk, I find that John's instruments cut through any mix, while sitting just perfectly.

6. dookie

dookie Member

I refer to it as the "Suhr spank"... I like it...:)

My Suhrs are a few years old... They do have plenty of bottom IMO...

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i think some of the suhr's hi-fi vibe might be due to the little resistor and cap he puts across the volume pot. snipping that out might make it more old school sounding, and IMHO his excellent pickups don't really need the extra help.

8. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I definately think it is a pickup thing, the V60LPs are dark and smokey with plenty of midrange and low-end... though they still have some chimie and spank in the highs.

Suhrs cut period though... they sound so much different in a band situation than a woodshed application; to the point I noticed I had to turn my volume down on my amp one notch EVERYTIME I used my Suhr compaired to my other guitars because it seemed that much louder.

_TJK*

9. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

I too am very partial to the way my Suhr Classic sits in the mix. On most of my other guitars, the tone knob lives b/w 8 and 10. On my Classic, it's 4-6.

One other thing to bear in mind is that most Suhrs you play in stores will be strung with Elixirs. Having experimented with SOBs and Pyramids on my Classic, I've gone back to Elixirs for that "Suhr spank". But string choice can make a big difference on this one.

10. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

Not sure if the Moderns fit into this discussion, but the ones I have are definitely not bright. Clear and articulate, but not bright. In fact the Koa one is much like my old PRS ME that had a BRW neck - very warm, very full.

11. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

+1.

Or instead of cutting them out, try experimenting with more vol/tone settings/combos.

If the guitar has brazilian rw board btw, it'd sound brighter than indian rw.

12. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

All the Suhrs I've owned have been brighter than the equivalent Fenders I've owned. Guitars are the sum of all their parts, and I've not tried to narrow it down to wood, components, or electronics...... but I will say that they sound bright acoustically as well as amplified.

13. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

My band members have actually complained that my Classic Suhr with FL's is a bit much on the bright side ...
    Which is odd because I usually use EMG's in my guitars and like for my pickups to be a bit on the hi-fi side ...

I ordered a pair of DiMarzio 58's and a 61 to hopefully keep the vintage tone
    but just round off the treble top a bit ..

The way this guitar plays is like no other .... incredible workmanship!!
    So I'd like to keep it ...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  14. MartinC

MartinC Member

I have a Suhr Classic ... alder body, maple neck + Indian rosewood 'board. I don't think it's naturally bright, but it is a heavier piece of wood than my Fender Strat. It has V60s + a DSV in the bridge. Very clear and articulate as others have said. I tend to leave the tone all the way up on the guitar, but find that I'm setting the mids on my amp higher than I do with my other guitars ... that produces a beautiful warm tone with the detail still there on each note.

15. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I currnetly own 3 Suhrs and I have found that the brightness is really clarity. When I compared one of my standards to my friends CS Fender, it was day and night. His sounded dull by comparison. Mine sounded full and open. When playing out, I just turn the prescence down a bit on the amp and viola!

16. Alpedra

Alpedra Member

I have that feeling with my Suhrs too, when I compare them with me 2 Fender Strats.. The Suhrs donĀ“t lack any bottom end or fatness. They just sound much more clearer and open.. even when playing unplugged.

17. mibu

mibu Member

that's my opinion also! I play a S1 (no. 0075). recently I gave my guitar to a friend to play in a session, where another guitarist played a fender strat. both played one after the other, on the same amp (a marshall jcm800) and the suhr was miles away in clarity and punch!!!
    but... after the session, as I discussed with other guys about the tone and the suhr guitar, I sadly found out that the fender fans have had no ears to hear this difference as a good thing... is this false biasing or what?...

18. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

It's simply two different questions; one with an objective answer and the other with a subjective answer:

Is it brighter?

Do you like a brighter guitar?

19. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

I should clarify: one of the three tried is mine, and it's light alder with African Rosewood. I think that this combo is great for either a) humbucker guys or b) as previously stated, a recording guitar (or a guitar for use in a dense band mix), but I suspect my perfect Suhr lies elsewhere. I'm really sold on the build quality and neck profile, so I guess I'll be taking a bath on it and going for something else.

20. mibu

mibu Member

well, I wouldn't use the word "brighter", because I think this would imply "more high frequencies and, perhaps, less bottom", which is not the case. no, the Suhr is not brighter, just that it is better heard in a band.