Suhr's P90's: are they successful?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by dead of night, May 12, 2008.

1. dead of night

dead of night Member

Hi. I haven't read much here or anywhere about Suhr's P90 pickups. A lot has been mentioned about the 60 lp single coils or the FL pickups but, what do you think about Suhr's P90's?

How do the Suhr P90 pickups compare to Lollars, for example, or other well known, successful P90's. Are Suhr's sweeter? Harsher? Brighter? Noisier, or less noisy?

What do you think?

2. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

This question gets asked from time to time, but goes unanswered. I've owned a Suhr T with chambered mahogany body and 2 S-90s for three years now and am very happy with the pickups, especially the relatively low noise and great woody tone out of the neck pup. But I'd love to hear how Lollars would sound in this guitar.

3. Dave

Dave Member

Maybe because most people are happy with their S-90s and never swap them out...just a guess.

I've got a Suhr mahogany Classic T with S-90s and I love 'em. I've never thought of replacing them. Are there better P-90s available? Depends on your definition of "better" I guess.

4. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

I owned a Suhr Tele with 2 P-90s and an alder body. That guitar killed! Sounded much better than the PRS Soapbar McCarty I owned at the time..

5. george4908

george4908 Member

I have a Suhr Tele w/ash body and his P-90s. A wonderful guitar in all respects. Haven't compared to Lollars, but I found the Suhrs smoother and clearer than the Fralins or various Seymour Duncans. Some P-90s can be harsh. Not these.

6. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

PM me if you want to buy a used pair. They are great, by the way. I just don't have a guitar to put them in now.

7. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I've compared Suhr S90s to Lollars in the same guitar. I love both. In general, the Lollars sounded slightly cleaner, perhaps more like a big strat pickup; whereas the Suhrs have a little more edge to the upper mids. No drastic difference tonally and there was no discernible difference in noise level. Both are great, just a little different.

8. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

Thank you, 'afflicted' Suhr!

9. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

I've got a Suhr Mahogany Classic T with S90's to me they sound so close to the Lollars that I had I didn't bother switching them out.

10. oscar100

oscar100 Member

personaly i found tehm a little on teh weedy side ( especially teh bridge)- have swapped them on each ocassion ive had

11. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

Two Suhr guitars here...both have 2 S90's. I guess they're ok. :D
    I can't offer any comparisons as I've not had the need or felt any desire to swap them out.