Sultone Cabinets - scammer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MVrider, Sep 25, 2005.

1. MVrider

MVrider Member

I placed an order for an amp cabinet from Sultone Amps several months ago and paid a deposit via PayPal. Despite several e-mails in the mean time, I've had no communication from him. Anyone else have problems with this guy? I'll keep this situation updated, but at this point, I'd advise everyone to stay away from this guy.

2. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    I've read some posts on other forums that he's got some family situations that are getting him behind.

And it's not just people with open orders that are not getting responses, it's people trying to place orders.

So I'd be cautious on labeling him a scammer before all the facts are out. For the record, until some of the recent posts about him not responding, he's had a pretty good reputation from what I know. He also had excellent feedback over a nearly 5 year history:
    http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=sultone&iid=

I've PM'd you his phone number, but I'll let you know up front some folks are not getting quick responses to phone messages either.

3. MVrider

MVrider Member

Thanks for that input. I sent the guy a deposit almost five months ago via PayPal. I was promised an invoice the following day but never got it. In the intervening time, I have had no response to any of my emails.

I can appreciate that family matters can and do cause business delays, but I'm told his wife has an auction on ebay right now for an amp cover.

If there's time to list an auction, there's certainly time to take a few seconds to compose a "Sorry for the delay, but I've got family problems right now. Please be patient" message which can be copied and sent with the click of a mouse.

Again, thanks for the input. IS the guy a scammer? If what you say is true, probably not. However, I've sent a sizeable deposit and I've gotten nothing to show for it, not even an e-mailed response to any of my inquiries.

I'll post follow-ups as appropriate.

4. kego

kego Member

I have ordered three cabs from Sultone, and have one so far. Bill is running behind, but is definitely not a scammer. I talked to him two days ago and the second of my three should be shipped this week.

He is very dedicated to his craft, and does an amazing job, but I do have to agree that when he's running behind he could be a little more communicative. He has told me that he's not taking any new orders until he get's caught back up, so hopefully that will help a little.

FTR, I've been waiting for at least one of mine since last November, but all three of mine are fairly custom sizes and/or versions, so I understand that it takes a little longer.

Hang in there, you'll be happy with it when it shows up!

kego

5. MVrider

MVrider Member

Thanks, guys. That's a relief. I'll let you know when I get my cabinet.

6. Mark Williams

Mark Williams Gold Supporting Member

I can add that Bill is a decent & honest guy in my experience with him. I'm thinking it must be extraordinary circumstances that has him backed up, and I'm surprised that he's been uncommunicative. I know it's annoying to have to deal with the delay, but, in the end, I'm sure you won't be scammed.

7. larrylover

larrylover Member

For what it is worth, I just received a Straub Cantus amp that is in a cabinet that I understand was made by Sultone. (I ordered a different head cab than the Straub's current stock of mahogony cabs.) I cannot be positive that Sultone made the head cab because I never dealt with a cabinet maker. But I believe that is where I was told the cab came from.

The head cab I received was very, very nice. My brother also bought a speaker cabinet from Sultone a while back. All this is to amplify that Sultone is, in fact, legit and, in my experience, does very, very nice work.

It is unfortunate that, apparently, his skills managing expectations and in dealing with customers leave something to be desired.

8. HCStraub

HCStraub Member

Yes, it is a Sultone Cabinet and Bill did a nice job on it.

I received that head cabinet for the amp about 3 weeks ago. Bill has been driving back and forth to his parents place on a regular(weekly LONG drive) basis to deal with some issues. He has been scrambling for time and running behind.
    I have no idea how the situation is right now, but I will tell you from my experience that he is an upstanding guy. I have purchased several cabs from him and he always has done an excellent job and done right by me.
    Hang in there and try his phone, if I hear from him I will urge him to post a message.

Harry Straub
    Straub Amplifiers

9. kego

kego Member

I dropped him an e-mail with a link to this thread, hopefully he'll contact you here soon. But relax, I know it's frustrating, but it will be worth the wait.

What did you order? Just curious!

10. MVrider

MVrider Member

Thanks to all and a special thanks to kego. I just got an email from him this am. Yes, seems like he had some problems, but he assures me that I'll have the cabinet before too long.

kego, it's a cabinet for my High-power tweed Twin. Special size and two baffles - one for a single 15, one for 2x12's.

Looking forward to getting it.

11. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

I sent him an email months ago inquiring about his cabinets. To date I still have not received a reponse.

That was all I needed to know. I've long since moved on.

12. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

Bill does outstanding work and is not a scammer. Here is a picture of a set of cabinets he did for me earlier this year. I have another on order also.

[​IMG]

13. SAMIAM

SAMIAM Member

Wow! gorgeous work-and I bet those speakers are the most "transparent" sounding 12's on the planet!!!:D

14. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

Yeah, that was before I got the speakers put in. A set of SA-12-75-16 Scumbacks ( www.scumbagamps.com ) are now housed in there.

15. kego

kego Member

Yeah, all three of mine were "non-standard" sizes, and one is a total one off. It takes longer to do those. I'm looking forward to seeing your's when it arrives! I'll post some pics of mine as well.

Glad you heard from him, and enjoy the cab when it arrives!

kego

16. Distortion

Distortion Member

CAFeathers, How would you describe the sound of the maple cabinet?
    I have thought about building a flame maple cabinet but am afraid it would be too bright..

17. larrylover

larrylover Member

I will post a picture of my Cantus with the walnut head cab by Sultone when I can.

And I will also post a review of the Cantus once I have had some more time to get to know it. A tremendous, tremendous amp.

18. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

The cabinets are Mahogany/Flame Maple, The chasis is a modified Marshall JTM-45 RI, The speakers are Scumback SA-12-75-16's. It is actually a little darker sounding than you would think. If fact it is almost too dark sounding.

19. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

[​IMG]

Heres one of the pro cabs I got from Sultone. It sounds amazing vs a pine cab. Much louder and focused.

Amp is forsale if you are interested.