Sultone Hardwood Cabs and Now Amplifiers...18 watt fans rejoice!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wordsonyou, Dec 13, 2005.

1. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I just recieved my Sultone cab today from Bill over at Sultone and also the prototype of his new hand wired amp line - Sultan. It is an 18 watter that is a cross between the classic 18 watt and the Matchless Spitfire made with sourced 50's and 60's trannies. Initial reaction: holy crap does this amp sound toneful.

I am not allowed at this point to show you the innards as this is a prototype and Bill is protective of the design until they hit the market - but it is exceptionally well built; as well built as any boutique amp I have owned.

Swirling harmonics, tight bass, and tight even gain - it is quite a steal. Yes, this was well worth the wait, and the head is the size of a lunch box! The cab is unbelievably resonant: the walnut provides a nice even low end and the maple gives it a bit of snap. For those doubting Bill's honesty all I can say is the guy makes amazing product and it takes him while to make it because he is stretched thin but the quality is absolutely first rate. If you can handle the wait you will be rewarded with amazing tone, craftsmenship and price. If you need a quick fix then you are barking up the wrong tree. The point is you will get what you ordered, it will just take a while but you will be pleased with the results. And he packs like a titan also.
    Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Deaj

Deaj Member

Wow! The cab and head shell are gorgeous!!

3. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Looks really sweet!

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I hope it came with some coasters for your beer bottle!! :BEER

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

That is freaking gorgeous looking. Nice woodwork. If it sounds 1/3 as good as it looks, damn.

6. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

You know it really does sound as good as it looks...and the head is so small it's ridiculous. It is about 1/3 the size of a JCM 2000 head for perspective's sake. And the cab is like an instrument in itself it is so resonant. I would have no hesitation playing out with the head but I have to admit I am hesistant to take out the cab for fear of dinging...may have to save the cab for recording purposes. I'm realising I am a huge fan of the weber ceramic blue dog speaker - what a great sound. Bill at Sultone told me the heads will be available for under a grand in the hardwood cabinet - that should be some great value imho.

7. scottosan

scottosan Supporting Member

I have email hime twice in 3 weeks and haven't gotten a response. I would love to send him my business, but I have no choice to take it elsewhere. I can deal with a long wait, but not responding to potential customers is a huge pet peeve. I wish him the best.

8. Matt H

Matt H Guest

there have been several threads on the weber amps board over the last six months or so about him not responding to CURRENT CUSTOMERS once they've claim they sent money. I don't know the validity of these claims, but it would certainly be worth asking around on various amp boards (start w/ weber?) before considering giving him business.

9. MVrider

MVrider Member

And you can search this site for "Sultone" to find some of my issues. In the end, the cabinet was very, VERY nice and I may even order another from him. If anyone wants some ordering/payment advice, send me a PM.

10. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

He is hard to get a hold of but he is not at all dishonest. I can't even get hold of him to tell him I love the product for instance. But he had my money (paid in full) for over a year and he could have taken off. One day I got the call that it was being sent out. So yes it is a long wait. No he is not a crook. Yes he is streched thin and yes he is an honest businessman. I think we get so used to instant gratification that we panic if we're not tended to hand and foot. I was getting nervous when I started to see all the scammer threads, but whenever I spoke to him he was so friendly, knowlegeable and helpful that it did not add up when compared with the scammer threads. His product arrived and it is a great product. He has put some serious work into his amp line. Yes he could improve his communication but I have no reason to doubt his honesty as a businessman at this point. Plus everyone who has ordered has eventually gotten their order. The issue is really the lack of communication that people are experiencing. He tells me he gets so many emails that it is virtually impossible to reply to all of them. I imagine when your prices are this good you are innundated with tons of emails most of them tire kicking. I don't envy having to pour through them all to sort out the serious from the not so serious. I'm not saying the lack of communication is ideal or even good just that I see the difficulties with an Internet business where sales are done in person rather than by an electronic shopping cart.

11. scottosan

scottosan Supporting Member

Thats all fine, but I did not hear about him on this forum. I shouldn't have to do a search on a forum no way affiliated with Sultone to find this out. How hard would it be to put a simple message on his site about being backed up. I wasted time on a current project for 2 weeks waiting for an email that would never come. I emailed him from a link on his site. He should either put a message on his site, or return his email. Its a poor way of doing business in my opinion. :(

12. Srini

Srini Guest

That is such a silly comment.

Srini

13. Timster

Timster Member

A years wait and no communication...thats a fuc%ed up way of doing business in my opinion

14. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

YOU AINT KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD.. NEVER

It's got absolutely ZILCH to do with 'instant gratification' ... It's professionalism, courtesy, ethics, morals, niceness, decency, etc.. Whatever

ERIC

15. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

wordsonyou - fantastic looking piggyback rig. looks first rate! I'm anxiously awaiting arrival of my combo cab from Bill. Should be showing up in the next week or so (just spoke with him yesterday).

Not going to get back into this debate, but I think both sides are right here, and the events are mutually exclusive of one another in this case...

Timely correspondence and meeting deadlines is definitely a business ethics issue, and at the same time, our society has become increasingly more geared towards instant-gratification.

I'm sympathetic and accepting of Bill's business practices from the standpoint that I know what it's like to run a small business, but others may not be and each potential customer gets to make their own decision whether or not to do business with Bill.

I don't think Bill's big-picture honesty or personal integrity should come in to question here. That's not relevant, as it's been demonstrated enough times now that he's not just trying to rip people off. Though buyer be ware, if you're not super laid back you may find his business practices more than frustrating.

My own small business is keeping me from spending time on these forums these days -- I just searched for "Sultone" here to take a quick break from the grind to see if there were any new pics of Bill's awesome craftsmanship... I was pleased and excited to find this thread -- let's not ruin it with this already well-documented debate once again. If you want to read about both sides of the issue, just use the search function.

BACK TO WORK! C~ya!

16. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

To turn the thread back in another direction.... Hey Rich, don't you know you're going to have sell all those noisemakers and go unplugged once the baby comes!

17. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Ain't that the truth. I've already started trying to figure what one amp I'll keep since I have to sell all the others. I am a few days away from listing almost all my amps on the buy and sell section. My amp experimenting days are about to go on a hiatus. It is a bit of a heartbreaker because I finally have only amps that I love right now - not a dog in the bunch...

But it should be all worthwhile - the gift of life and all that jazz. Did I mention I am terrified by the notion of fatherhood :eek:

It's only a bunch of metal and wood after all - you can see I am trying to mentally divorce myself from my arsenal here. I just hope all the stuff ends up in good hands and that people can use and enjoy what I give up.

18. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Yes, people get so emotional on this issue, that is why I did not respond to the obvious attempts to try to escalate the argument. Ultimately people can do what they want. If they are pleased with his service they will go back and if they are not they will stay away. I am happy with the product, and maybe a little more patient than some other folks. Some might call this being a pushover, but it gets me less chest pains than I might otherwise experience. Bill makes great stuff. I hope that as he gets the next phase of his business ready that he is able to satisfy more people. Bottom line is I got a great product, built very well by a great guy who is very very busy.

19. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

Beautiful head and cab. I'm currently building an enclosure for a current project. Just typical that it's almost exactly the same woods and layout he used. LOL, I hate it when that happens.

20. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Cool, good luck with the project. And please share some pics with us when you are done!!