1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sultone UPDATED update (Threads MERGED)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by G'OlPeachPhan, Nov 7, 2005.

1. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I spoke with Bill yesterday. He's running a little behind, but everybody will get their cabs. He hasn't taken any orders since I placed the order for my cab in June. I think point right there indicates that he's an ethical business man. Just wanted to give a positive public update on this situtation that was being discussed in a previous (closed) thread. On a long enough timeline, everything works out. :)

2. MVrider

MVrider Member

Glad he had time to talk to you.

I get no replies to my emails and I still haven't received the cabinet which was supposed to be ready almost five weeks ago.

3. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

I tried contacting them a handful of times & never got anyone.....

Wound up going elsewhere.

4. Timmo

Timmo Member

Well yes, taken to the Nth degree.
    I'm just not sure this is a good business model. :D

5. MVrider

MVrider Member

Or as George Carlin said,

"If you bought land in the valley 100 years ago, you'd be dead now!!!

6. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

If you're OK with the way he does business, then that's great, apprently it works for you.

Personally, I just took my business elsewhere when he never responded to my inquiry. That action apparently has saved me a hell of a lot of headache and hassle.

7. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

If you don't like way a guy does business, go elsewhere. If you don't want to wait for a custom, handmade product, buy something mass produced off the shelf. These cabs are CUSTOM, expensive, handmade pieces, and the process of building one is more in line with artwork than anything else. If that's not worth waiting for, then it is the right move to go elsewhere. If Bill's not the kind of guy you wish to do business with, then go elsewhere.

Again, he's not a personal friend, merely an business acquaintance... So I have no vested interest here other than I think a decent guy is getting a bum rap.

Perhaps the reason that Bill is more eager to communicate with me is the difference in my approach. Unfortunately this age of instant gratification is fueled by annonymity on public internet forums, which tend to make a lot of people behave in an overly assumptive and opinionated fashion. Conclusions are jumped to at will, and being a gentleman in one's dealings is often cast aside in favor of getting what is desired.

I was trying to post a positive update here to indicate that everything is going to be AOK, so I don't really appreciate getting jumped on.

I'm usually pretty tactful, but quite honestly, in this case, I think the approach taken by several individuals on this particular topic is less than appropriate. I was trying to help, but that approach clearly isn't a valid one here. There are still some good things about this place, but stuff like this just pisses me off.

Take your business dealings in private like a gentleman, please. Until you've got your facts straight, forming conclusions through innuendo can only be harmful to everyone involved.

By the way, my e-mail address is publicly available if anyone wishes to contact me privately...

8. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Understandable G'Peach...I originally posted who I went with, but didn't think it was fair to either builder to air things out here with or without their knowledge.

Sultone makes some beautiful looking cabinets.

The only reason I went elsewhere was I couldn't make contact with them/him....

And I'm happy with what I got.

9. Timmo

Timmo Member

G'Peach:
    I don't think anyone here is argiung the point of "going elsewhere if you don't like Bill's way of doing business".
    WE all have different expectations when doing business with someone and to me, Bill needs to decide what HE wants to do and if he is happy with that then wonderful.
    I am just "wired up different" when it comes to customer service and communication when MY money is involved. But hey, that's me!
    Your comment on how "time heals all" did however give me a chill.............. :eek:
    You obviously are not in business for yourself.

10. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

The HE// I'm not!!! I've been running my own business for close to two years now, as my single source of income. Don't assume things you don't know... I think that was part of the message I posted earlier, and here's another great example of it. You don't know me from Adam, yet you assume you've got all the right information. You know what they say about the word assume??...

Get your facts straight, Timbo. Glad I could give you chills... I ASSUME my point must have really hit home then. I could really care less if you agree with my personal philosophies or not. I'm generally a nice guy in my opinion, but I'm a bit fed up if you can't tell.

11. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

+1

12. straticus

straticus Member

The only problem with your argument is that there seems to be more than one person that's having the same problem with Sultone.

I just checked out his site. It looks like he does some beautiful work for very reasonable prices.

I build custom furniture. I've been in business for over 25 years. I've even built a few custom speaker cabs. I also know what it's like to be so dang busy that you don't know what end is up. That's probably what's happening here. If so, I feel for him. That said, (IMHO) there just isn't any excuse for not responding to people that you have active contracts with. I don't want to roll someone over the coals for no reason but that's really the bottom line here.

Regarding your statement "Take your business dealings in private like a gentleman, please." if someone is taking deposits and then not responding to further inquires, I appreciate the heads up.

13. Srini

Srini Guest

I went through the same lack of communications with my cab; and I paid him the full amount up front.

I finally got the cab after several calls, including one asking for a refund. There was a false alarm, when the cab did not arrive as scheduled, and after a few more calls (including a couple to UPS), it turned out that the cab was never shipped. In fairness, he offered to send me a free cover to compensate, which I declined. I did get it the next week.

On balance, the cab was well made, although the finish was spotty in several places. I'm going to have to sand the thing and refinish it myself.

Bottom line - everybody knows that custom orders take time. That is hardly the bone of contention here. The real problem lies in setting expectations. Being in business for yourself goes way beyond good craftsmanship and just being a nice guy. If you're going to prospect for new business online, you had better learn how to deliver as promised.

On example of that was Bob Burt who, in response to my initial email, told me plainly that there is no way he could even begin my cab for two months - and I respected that.

I don't mean to ruin it for the guy - I do hope he becomes successful after resolving issues. But I think its good for people to know what they're getting into.

Srini

14. MVrider

MVrider Member

I sure don't want to deal with anyone who thinks "Don't worry about it. It will all work out eventually" is a valid response to a customer asking "Where is the delivery that was supposed to be here a month ago."

YMMV. But not on MY MV. hehehe

15. Timmo

Timmo Member

Get back on those meds NOW G'Peachy...............
    If you are indeed in business for yourself..........how's that working out for you considering "TIME" has no meaning for you!
    :)
    Thankfully, I don't "know you from Adam".
    Now yer boring me ........Adios amigo..............:D

16. MVrider

MVrider Member

Got a call from Bill at Sultone. I'm told the cabinet will ship tomorrow and I will get a tracking number soon. I will continue to update as appropriate.

Thanks to the "TheGearPage" for hosting this forum. I wouldn't have gotten that phone number without posting publicly. Complaints *can* work to benefit all concerned.

FWIW, Bill told me he saw the threads and wanted to clear up the issue.

Again, I will update as appropriate.

17. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I really enjoy the fact that the most bold posters on this thread have no e-mail addresses listed. That's very comfortable annonymity, isn't it? In the meanwhile, please rest assured that several of you are doing a very nice job of turning this place into Harmony Gear Page.

The reason these dealings should be kept private is due to the fact that the whole story is not being presented... There is spin on much of what is being posted, much the same as the spin a few individuals have chosen to put on some of what I have posted here in this thread, and the other thread regarding this topic. I can agree with many of the viewpoints that some of you have posted here, but the sad part is the whole story is not being presented here... It's not my responsibility to make sure that happens however, and after the way this has gone, I'm done trying to help.

MVRider - I never said, "Don't worry about it. It will all work out eventually." You can read that into it if you want to, but let's just say that you not wanting to do business with me is VERY mutual at this point. I pm'd you and was friendly and helpful. You were confrontational at best. I'll keep that in mind for the future, thanks. By the way, you have NO frame of reference as to how I conduct my own personal business. I 100% guarantee you that anyone that has ever done business with me, whether it's buying and selling personal music gear here, or in my chosen profession, has only positive things to say... A large part of this is that I'm careful to chose customers that I feel are respectable individuals as well... A story always has two sides, and a business deal is only as good as BOTH parties involved.

Timbo - You've misquoted me and spun things nicely as well. You also have no bearing on my personal business philosophies. Hell, you didn't even know enough to know that I'm in business for myself. As for your comment regarding me being on medication, you're bordering on lible pal, which is the tort or delict of making a false statement that negatively affects someone's reputation. I'm not on any kind of medication other than ibuprofen for a sprained ankle, but perhaps frustration with my ankle has tired my usual patience with individuals who behave in ways similar to yourself. I'm glad you're bored... maybe you'll quit particpating so negatively here, and actually go do something positive like adios and play your axe.

Feel free to read whatever you want into what I have posted here... I couldn't care LESS. I regret ever trying to help. I could care less what you think of me.

I'm going to take my own advice now... see ya.

18. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

"As for your comment regarding me being on medication, you're bordering on lible pal, which is the tort or delict of making a false statement that negatively affects someone's reputation. "

Please! I agreed with most of your post until I read that bit of nonsense.

There always has been, and always will be, a divergence of opinion as to whether people should post negative information about merchants. I can see both sides of the argument, but the moderators here have made it clear that such discussion should not be posted in this forum. Like or not, they make the rules.

So it should come as no surprise that the original thread was locked.

19. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

tacorivers -

Actually, the original thread was locked because of inappropriate off topic meanderings.

Also, why should someone be allowed to post false information abolut me that's clearly just a personal shot? That's a real tough and bold thing to do when hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

20. MVrider

MVrider Member

Got a return call today from Bill at Sultone. He indicated he saw the threads and wanted to clear up the issue.

I wouldn't have gotten the number without posting publicly.

Here is an example of a complaints working to the benefit of both sides, so restricting posts to "cheerleading" or simplistic Pollyanna-ish responses doesn't do much for those of us who live in the real world.

To claim "everything is going to be AOK" is cluelessness. This is my money, my purchase and it's up to me to decide what's acceptable and what's not. End of story.

Finally, here's a little test for anyone who claims to truly believe "On a long enough timeline, everything works out." Just send me a guitar, an amp, a stamp collection, boat, car, motorcycle, rare coins, guns and I'll send you some money, some day.