Sumarian cobalt noiseless pickups.....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 1968, Nov 19, 2005.

1. 1968

1968 Member

What can you guys tell me about these pickups?. I'm finding it hard to find info about them. What can they be compared to? are they noisy?..
    I'm thinking about getting a fender deluxe vintage player strat which come with these pickups- the pickups are the only thing I am not sure about..

2. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

One thing I know about them for sure - not noisy. They are the newest version of Bill Lawrence's noiseless "single coil" humbuckers.

3. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

Somarian Colbalt Pickups were designed by Bill Lawrence ( www.billlawrence.com ) for Fender. Fender builds them to Bill's specs.

4. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

to me...

they sound way better than Fender's last noiseless attempt, but at the same time still miss everything that a good set of Fralins or Antiquities will give you.

others will disagree with me i'm sure. that's okay. i'm just sayin', if that's the only reason you're buying that guitar and you find that you don't like the pups, you're still stuck with a mexican made guitar which is okay. but if you're going to pickup swap anyway, you could always get a highway1 for the same amount of dollars or less if you shop around and then you'll have a much better axe.

not trying to rain on your parade or anything. i don't like to operate that way, but since you're seeking advice in the pre-purchase time frame, i figure it won't hurt.

5. 1968

1968 Member

You sure its mexican?.. This is the one I am refering to:
    http://www.guitartrader.com/itempg....3&itmid=57419&eflag=0&curitempos=5&numitems=5

Seems like a nice guitar- has everything im looking for in a strat. Just a bit unsure about the pickups..

6. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

If you want to know more about the pickups go to www.billlawrence.com and find the phone number. Give Becky (Bill's wife) a call. She is great and easy to talk to. Tell her I sent you.

7. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

After I saw the typo thread title, all I could think of was this:
    [​IMG]
    ;)
    -Ben

9. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

So it seems that you're right. My bad. But you should know that there is a 50's classic series strat with noiseless pups that had the name Vintage Player Strat.

That guitar does look nice, but I don't see any difference in that and a regular Am Dlx.

10. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

follow up--- I looked at it a little more closely.

the tuners are different and the hardware is gold and the face dots are white instead of abolone.

it is different, so check this out. if you're only unsure about the pickups, white not go play a regular Am Dlx somewhere and then if you like them, buy the *Dlx* Vintage Player?

11. gururyan

gururyan Member

I have 'em in my Strat, and I really like them in 1st position with the S-1 engaged. This puts the neck and middle pups in a series, you get a slight boost and that "loudness" tone like on old tube amps (stereos, not guitars). I leave it in that position 90% of the time.

...and yeah, dead silent. I'm leaving mine in. :dude

12. mustangman

mustangman Member

those pickups are awesome!! i have them in my fender american deluxe strat and they sound so good, no hum, and they dont sound like humbuckers, like the noiseless ones.

13. stratneck

stratneck Supporting Member

I had those pup's on my american 50's anniversary deluxe with the S'1 switch and I foud them very quiet, but, also dull.
    The guitar, sounded very ballsy, specialy, when the switch button
    is on.
    To me they make the guitar very darkkkkk.NO BIT!!!!
    So, I replaced them w' Vand Zands vintage plus.
    I dont gig, so noise was not an issue.
    If that is the case, you might want to give the Jeff Beck Hot noisless a shot. I have them and liked them,also, I'm thinking
    about DMARZIOS vintage,they are suposed to be noisless.
    I'm never hapy w' stock pup's
    I hope it helped
    stratneck:)

14. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The SCN's were developed by Bill Lawrence in conjucntion with Fender and are a major step up from Lace Sensors and the poor sounding old Vintage Noiseless (which are the pickups in the vintage player strat). Bill's noiseless designs are comparable to the other 2 major players - Kinman and Dimarzio - and they all suffer from the same drawbacks: they lack the sparkle, sheen and glassiness of true single coils. The result,dependeing on your ears can be described as dull, dark, sterile, hi-fi, etc. The SCN's sound good and are completely silent but they DO NOT NAIL vintage single coils sounds. If that doesn't bother you then they are very good pickups in their own right.

15. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

The only thing I've played that silences the single coil hum without skrewing with the Strat tone is the Silent Single Coil System that Suhr guitars has developed.