Sunface "High Gain" NKT Chip???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jokerjkny, May 1, 2008.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

hey all,

i just got my "high gain" version of the sunface nkt, but frankly, it doesnt seem as over the top as i'd thought it'd be. about the same gain as my MI neo fuzz.

did i get a bum one, or are they not quite as fuzzy as say my frantone peachfuzz?

2. Don't Post

Don't Post Member

i got one too that seems to have less Fuzz & Vol. than my older regular NKTSF :crazy :NUTS.

3. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

You need to make sure that the trimmer inside is turned ll the way counter clockwise (I think)...it's one way or the other. I have had 4 or 5 regular NKT's and sent the last one back for a high gain.

I can say for SURE that the high gain has a LOT more sustain and gain (no more output volume) but does not clean up quite as well. But with a standard Highway 1 Tele or Strat with Dimarzio Area 58's I almost get into Muff territory in regards to sustain but a lot richer in harmonics.

4. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I think in the regular NKT Sunfaces, he uses 1 lower gain NKT and 1 higher gain one, so two higher gain ones would have more sustain but not totally through the roof compared to the regular Sunface (I think). Either way, those NOS NKT's are definitely worth getting, tonally-speaking.

5. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

It's still a fuzzface, and highgain NKTs have less gain than a silicon, so it won't really get into the Big Muff territory.

We are working on a new DARK PEPPERMINT fuzz that will be sort of a cross between the current peppermint, with some of the dark smoothness of the highgain NKTs... that might be a better choice for you, so far I am really enjoying it. Have to figure out colors for the case and get some made up.