Sunface Making Noises (help)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by krisharmony, Feb 25, 2009.

1. krisharmony

krisharmony Supporting Member

Hi all,

I've got a SunFace NKT275 with adapter jack and LED that's making an unusual amount of noise. It's kindof like 60 cycle hum but very loud (almost as loud as the distorted signal when I'm playing). I'm not using the adapter jack and have tried a new battery in it and still the same noise. When I roll the volume knob all the way off the hum stops but as soon as I start rolling it clockwise and a little signal passes through it appears.

What could this be?

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

sounds serious to me, mine doesn't do that at all. i'd take it to the shop for a fix.

3. stratplayer80

stratplayer80 Senior Member

I agree, mine and I do believe most Sunfaces/Fuzz Faces are prone to noise but sounds like yours is on the fritz.

4. krisharmony

Yeah I figured there's something wrong I just don't know what. Could there be a solder loose? I know next to nothing about electronics unfortunately.

5. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

I think you should sell it, or trade it...to ME!

Seriously though...send it to Mike...he's easy-peasy to have it fixed and sent right back to ya...

but really...I'll take it off your hands if you'd like...no joke!

good luck

6. krisharmony

Haha, thanks but I just got it in a trade so I think I'm going to hang onto it for a while. It really sounds great other than the hum:(

Does Mike respond to private messages or do I need to email him?

Mike respond here!:JAM

7. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

you got it in a trade? then i'd definitely work out a deal with the trader to recompense you for the repair bill, unless he's willing to trade you back and you search for a working one.

8. abadiemet

abadiemet Silver Supporting Member

I am the trader in question. :eek: I can't figure the problem out either.

I never had a noise problem with the Sunface. Maybe something happened in transit?

Kris, send it back to Analogman and I will cover the shipping and repair.

I'll PM you.

9. stratplayer80

stratplayer80 Senior Member

As far as I know Mike only responds to emails.

10. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

A hum would be a bad ground or loose solder joint. But if the seller did not hear the hum, it may be something else in your signal chain.

Maybe you can open it up and wiggle the jacks and wires, bend the board a little, wiggle the pots and pot wires with a chopstick, and find the problem.

Also make sure the input and output jacks are nice and tight, and the pots too. Especially the pots on the Beano Boost and Sunface need to be tight. Remove the knob (small set screw on the side) then hold the pot on the inside of the pedal while tightening the nut on the pot.

To test for noise you have to set pedals at the same volume ON as Off (unity gain). When you turn it up higher, it will amplify any noise which is already there, making it more apparent. Our pedals themselves do not add much noise. If you turn the guitar all the way down you can hear what is coming from the pedal, a slight white noise is normal when set at unity gain.

I have also found input jacks causing noise. Make sure it has good tension, try bending the input plug in different directions to see if it changes the amount of noise. If so you can retention or replace the input jack.

Also check the battery clip by wiggling it and see if that causes noise.

We can fix it no problem if you can't find it but it sounds like a trivial problem.

Good luck!

11. abadiemet

abadiemet Silver Supporting Member

Thank you for your input. Best customer service ever!

12. krisharmony

Well it's definitely not something else in my signal chain because I don't hook up additional pedals when testing new ones. And I know about unity gain and I am definitely doing everything right. I'll check on the rest and let you know.

13. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Think that was good you should try his email..Good luck with it.
    ;)