Sunface:NTK 275 or Standard germanium?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pold, Feb 27, 2009.

1. pold

pold Member

how do you compare them? There are not many available clips but from this sample the standard sounds even better than the NTK 275...
    http://www.mikepiera.com/samples/ge-nkt.mp3
    First phrase was the standard and second phrase was NTK 275.
    What do you guys think? :confused:

[​IMG]

2. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

NTK High Gain. This is my favorite pedal on my boards and I have a timmy, a zen and a bunch of other fancy analogman and and such pedals but If I could only have one pedal this would be it.

3. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Aren't they both NKT 275, but just one is standard and the other is hi-gain? I love my standard NKT275 sunface.

4. Floor

Floor Member

Go for the NKT 275 high gain version, it's simply the best fuzz box I've ever hear. It makes every other fuzz pedal look like a joke.

5. txbluzmn

txbluzmn Member

According to Mike's page, the first is the standard GE transistors and the second is the NKT-275's; however I disagree that the first sounds better. To me it sounds thin and buzzy whereas the NKT is smooth and warm. It's all a matter of opinion.

I have a standard-gain NKT-275 and won't leave home without it!

6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

This clip is not the NKT vs High Gain NKT...it's the "standard" Ge Sunface (which last I heard Mike was using some NOS Japanese 2SB transistors) vs the NKT-275 Trannys.

This is a completely different issue from the NKT vs High Gain NKT. I have 2 AM Modded Fuzz Face pedals, one has the regular NKT-275's and one is high gain NKT-275's and in truth they are pretty different pedals! I really love both pedals but they are pretty different...if you really spend some time you can almost get the HG NKT to sound like the regular NKT but it's still brighter, nastier and lacks the smooth warmth of the regular NKT.

Now, back to the Standard (non NKT) vs NKT...the standard is a cool sound but thinner, brighter and a little more fizzy than the NKT which is thicker, smoother and much fuller sounding to my ears. All that said, the NON NKT AnalogMan Sunface is still better sounding that most other Fuzz Face clones out there!

7. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

The high gain NKTs are the same parts as the standard NKTs, they just tested out with much higher gain than we normally use in the sunface. The higher gain of course gives them more fuzz but also makes them brighter and not able to clean up 100% sparkly clean like the normal NKTs.

Some people like our standard germaniums better, we have some old 2SB Japanese and some old USA 2N (fat metal cans)types, these are closer to the fulltone (often used nice old 2SB) or MJM germanium fuzzes. See the PEDAL GUTS thread and you can see what some of the other guys have used in their fuzzes over the years.

I am liking the TI/UK military germaniums that we got last year, sort of like the high gain NKTs... so many choices, but I hope it's good to HAVE the choices :)

Have fun!

8. chuckmoose

chuckmoose Member

I prefer the NKT sound, and I ordered it. It should be here tomorrow!

9. pold

pold Member

Does the standard sound thinner? Maybe hearing a short clip it's misleading, tell me, did you tried both versions yourself, and if yes, will you post any clips? That would be brilliant.

10. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I don't own a standard Sunface (I've just tried a few)...both of mine are NKT versions but one of them is 'high gain ' and the other is not

11. JLee

JLee Member

Had both the NKT275 Sunface and one of the Arbiter RIs with the regular Ge transistors. I liked the extra fuzz and thinner tone of the Arbiter with humbuckers. Still have it...I should open it up to see what's in there.

12. sabby

sabby Member

+1. The NTK High Gain is versatile as you can roll-down the gain and it warms up and cleans up as well. It's a pedal that seems to move from a bouncy, clean, sparkly amp, to an OD, to a full on fuzz.

Simply awesome.

13. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I love your low gain version that you built me last year with the red dot ones.

PSA: Read Mike's whole story on fuzz and you'll realize that there's yet another option to go more smoky bluesy with it.

14. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

While we're at it...anybody know the deal with the NKT-275's with the red dot???

15. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

I forgot about the old red dot NKTs!

Those are older and sound older too ;)

Lower gain, but a VERY cool tone, hard to describe, but there's something extra in there in fatness or smokiness. Gearmanndude emailed me and wants some pedals to make demos, I forgot to recommend the red dot NKTs, I will tell him he should try that one too. And the NKT274 is cool too... like a high gain NKT, so many options!

16. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I'm on an extended road trip from Spokane, WA to So Cal. Email me if I'm on the way and I'll drop in and let you try the Red Dot version. I've got my other pedals with me too. I'm currently in Reno and heading west then down the coast of California.

17. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Thanks Mike, sounds cool...makes me want to hunt down a red dot version! Cool deal about the 274's too...I see those from time to time was curious.

Im also really curious about the UK/TI tranny's you've got right now...

18. strings2wood

strings2wood Supporting Member

Love my Sunface and wondered about the high gain difference. I don't need anything more. Perfect as is for my set up.

19. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

The NKT is a beautiful pedal, the High Gain is nice but very different...I did a little review of both a few weeks ago...

20. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Anyone know what kind of transistors the Prescription Electronics Experience uses?