Sunface TI/UK or High gain NKT275? Help me out!

Kummeli

I've narrowed the transistor choise down to either TI/UK or the High gain NKT275. But I just can't make the decision. Help me out if you have owned/tried/played both, please! Or if you happen to have some comparison clips. Or just clips about TI/UK ' cos I've seen just one.

I'm after the Doyle Bramhall II's fuzz sound. I know I don't have his fingers nor do I have the same setup (check my signature) that he's got.. But I would like to get as close as I can with this setup.

Thanks in advance! :aok

vintage66

I tried both at a store and walked away with the TI/UK. It wasn't about price as I could have bought the high gain for $25 more, the TI/UK just seemed to cut through a little better. The HG has a ton of gain and the TI maybe a little less. The TI seems to fall in between a germanium and a silicon soundwise-has some characteristics of both, cuts better than a germanium but not as warm and doesn't clean up quite as well. They are pretty similar in that way really, but the TI seemed to retain highs a little better at full volume on the guitar. If they'd only had the HG I'm sure I would have bought it but being able to compare, I prefered the TI.

rambleon223

I like the TI/UK Sunface but have never owned the NKT so I can"t directly compare. I'm very happy with the TI/UK's for sure though, haven' felt like I'm missing anything at all by not opting for the NKTs.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
I've narrowed the transistor choise down to either TI/UK or the High gain NKT275. But I just can't make the decision. Help me out if you have owned/tried/played both, please! Or if you happen to have some comparison clips. Or just clips about TI/UK ' cos I've seen just one.

I'm after the Doyle Bramhall II's fuzz sound. I know I don't have his fingers nor do I have the same setup (check my signature) that he's got.. But I would like to get as close as I can with this setup.

Thanks in advance! :aok
The gain levels are very similar to the same and the tone is also quite similar...I had my high gain NKT before the TI/UK came out and after trying the UK/TI decided it was too close to the high gain NKT to have both...

vintage66

Do you mean the beeing in between germanium and silicon or the cleanup? Or both?
Yes, they are both in between a silicon and a typical germanium. I had a London Fuzz germanium and it cleaned up much better but it got really wooly very quickly when the guitar's volume was near 10, making it tricky to find anything between totally clean and wool. Some days I found it to sound really good and other days, total woolly mush. My TI Sunface, as well as the high gain I tried, both have the sundial and the internal trimpot so it's a bit more adjustable, but the transistors are also brighter and grittier over much more of the range of the guitar's volume so it's much more usable to me.

Concerning the two Sufaces, yes they are very close but I found the HG just a bit higher gain and at full volume, just a bit less clear, maybe because it was higher gain. Either could have worked for me better than the London, I just prefered the TI/UK, as did the friend I had with me. They also had a regular version with the stock transistors, but I really don't remember too much-it was lower gain with no bias knob, but I quickly ruled it out as I liked the other two better. I was looking for a sunface that had the least amount of wool.

DraggAmps

Definitely the HG in my opinion. I really don't think it's that high gain. It doesn't even really seem to have that much more gain than the other NKT's. It's not even a high gain version of the white dot NKT, it's just a white dot NKT that happened to be on the higher end of the gain scale. Basically, it has about a much gain as the Foxy Lady riff, and there's a reason it's known for being "the one" for Jimi tones.

Trending Topics