1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Sunface w/ mullard, Jam Fuzz Phrase, or MJM big London?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wundergussy, Jun 28, 2017.

1. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

choosing between three in title.

Guitar will be an American deluxe strat with N3 pickups.

Amp is a 6v6 20watt with a celestion greenback.

Nothing else in chain.

Goal is to leave fuzz always on and get range of gain from guitar's volume knob.

Choice is based on which cleans up best and also has most saturation with volume knob up.

This is TGP, so I expect people to suggest whatever pedal they just bought and now love forever, but really have narrowed it down to these three.

2. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

3. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

/thread

4. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

I've got a Sunface with the Mullards and it cleans up better but doesn't get quite as dirty as my buddy's London, which gets right to the edge of splatty fuzz but never gets what anybody would call clean.

I like my Sunface for what you're looking to do, but I also have other pedals to push it over the top. It actually sounds best to my with the guitar volume at about 9.5.

If space is at a premium, go with the London and back the fuzz off. I just find it's easier to just crank up s fuzz and let control at the guitar.

5. sweetpea

sweetpea Supporting Member

All great fuzzes. My search ended with the Oxfuzz Silicon=Awesome!

I sold one a year ago and it was the biggest gear mistake (pedal mistake :)) I have made to date. Keep the fuzz at around 4:00, bias at just past noon with volume to taste. Add a Belle Epoch and enjoy.

6. CiscoKid

CiscoKid Member

I can't comment on the 3 pedals you listed, but I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.
    I have a couple thoughts on your rig.
    You may need to use single coils to get the sound you're after. Noiseless stacked pickups are typically hot vs vintage type low output SC's.
    The 6v6 amp will need to be cranking otherwise you can use an OD after the fuzz to get the tonez....

7. moidan

moidan Member

Jam Fuzz Phrase is my all time favorite fuzz...operate with battery!

8. Caprica

Caprica Member

I have a jam fuzz phrase. I bought it because of the great review on the Gilmourish site.

It responds to my strat volume and picking exceptionally well and finding nice bluesey tones is pretty easy. At the extreme end you can get stones as well. But it does not get as extreme as some fuzzes can.

I must admit though it is not a staple on my board. I just get it out when I have a hankering to play fuzz. I am more of a rat kind of guy (probably cause I was a teen in the 80s).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  9. 71strat

71strat Member

Id get a Sunface/Sundial with the CV7005s. If you want more Fuzz out of it, Drive it with a 1458 chip Timmy.

For a Silicon Fuzz, Id get the new Roger Mayer Visage Fuzz. I myself would get 1 of these over anything, but the CV7005 is a nice pedal. Ive got the 2004 regular gain NKT275 Sunface/Sundial, and its supposed to be very similar.

The Visage has YUGE GAIN, and cleans up Better, than my Analogman Sunface/Sundial NKT275.

10. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Heard nothing but great things about the Jam Phrase and the Sunface is a proven winner , I can only speak for the MJM big box London Fuzz and it sounds great, very thick and wooly. Good news is any of the three should make you very happy.

11. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

Im a huge fan of jam, custom paint / enclosures / layouts etc win for me. However i own an mjm london simply because i got it before jam were on my radar. Its a great pedal, the way it cleans up with the guitar volume changed my view of fuzz

screamingduck likes this.
  12. louis

louis Supporting Member

I know this is an old thread but was wondering why some Fuzz Phrase have Jimi's face on them and others show hair only ,
    Is there a difference !?

13. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I was curious about the JAM change also, but I just chalked it up to individual differences. I have a Chill trem with a different paint and knob scheme than most too.

Concerning the OP, I would now go for the RCA high gain Sunface over the Mullards and over the JAM or London. I keep mine at about 3 o'clock on the fuzz into a clean 6v6 amp andit kills. The Fuzz Phrase was good, but a little dark for me. The London is also good, but, other than the AVS version I had, all the ones I have owned are a bit too compressed and wooly sounding. The RCA cleans up well and is a touch brighter and more open sounding.

AceBSpankin, louis and Flatscan like this.
  14. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Old thread but...

I would drop in N4s, sell the N3s, and get a Monsterpiece Ge Fuzz. (This is what I actually did.)

If I didn't get the Monsterpiece I would get the AMan RCA.

15. PedalCrazyFool

PedalCrazyFool Member

They changed the design due to copyright issues.

I ordered mine without the crazy hair and had a friend paint Jimi for me.

And yes, KILLER pedal...

louis likes this.
  16. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Monsterpiece Ge Fuzz. It is one of the 3 Fuzz Faces I have kept along with the RCA Sunface and King Tone Mini Fuzz.

Flatscan likes this.
  17. louis

louis Supporting Member

Thanks!
    Any reason why the're so expensive!?

18. PedalCrazyFool

PedalCrazyFool Member

Yeah, they’re really good at what they do, inside & out.

19. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I loved my big London. A monsterous sounding fuzz.

20. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

Nice avatar! I need to get me a mic-stand shaped one, too, one of these days.

So far, not much mention of if one is referring to Ge or Si. There are large sonic and girth differences, even in the same pedal line-up, depending upon your pickups and your amp settings.

< Edit: Looks like the OP ditched TGP back in Oct 2017. >

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019