1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Sunface w/ mullard, Jam Fuzz Phrase, or MJM big London?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wundergussy, Jun 28, 2017.

1. MrakS

MrakS Member

I have a 1988 Roger Mayer Classic that's always on and is my only pedal. But my amp is 1978 Marshall 2150 Rock and Roll Baby so it's MV. I'd quite like another Ge FF though once I've sold my RM Axis. Can't afford a sun face, but could get a s/h London fuzz or Fuzz Phrase. Which one would I like better? I appreciate it's a pretty personal thing, but thoughts?

2. MrakS

MrakS Member

Or even a JHS Pollinator? There are so many!

3. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Sun Face starts at $185... quite a bit cheaper than the Fuzz Phrase and similar to the London Fuzz.

AceBSpankin likes this.
  4. MrakS

MrakS Member

Actually after I wrote that post I did take a look at your prices and they were lower than I had assumed. I got wrongfooted by people selling them second hand for silly money. I actually went to Roger's house in the late 80s and bought the classic off him directly. What I like about it is because his mod gives it more volume, I can back it off a bit. I find that if you turn the volume on a FF right up it can get harsh. What germanium sun face would you say gives a great gtr vol knob clean up like the classic? You probably know my amp is basically a superlead in a 1x12 combo. I have the gain up about 2/3 (its not a super high gain) and with the pedal always on I can go from nearly clean to exploding volcano...Thanks for your reply!

5. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

All of our germanium options except the high gain ones clean up very well. NKT is warm, dark and temperature sensitive. RCA is bright and not very temperature sensitive. Other germaniums are somewhere in between, see my website for details, thanks!

AceBSpankin likes this.
  6. MrakS

MrakS Member

Cheers Mike! I'll have a think - and maybe canvass some opinions. We don't get a huge range of temperatures here in SW England.

7. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

When deciding between Sunface and other fuzzes...always choose the Sunface!

tomasz_el likes this.