• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Sunn model T50C

telejammer

I have a chance to purchase a Sunn T50C combo amp with matching extension cabinet from a small shop near were live. The crazy thing is its brand new, was never sold and is mint in every respect. I had thought of making the combo into a head since the deal comes with the matching 1-12 cabinet. Anyone have experience with these or had one, if so please post your experience with them. Now the best part is they want $800.00 for the combo and cab,I think its a good deal, how about you ? Please let me know before I buy the thing, Thanks to all on The Gear Page!

risto

Love those amps. They’re sorta sleepers, if you consider the market for non-Sunn options in the same power class. With the accompanying extension cabinet, I would hop on that for $800. It’d be nice to keep the pieces together instead of orphaning the cab and shunting the combo chassis into a head. It’s been a unit for all these years, right? But that’s just my sensibility. Cool find, go get some!

We had a good thread a while back:

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
Consider it's just getting old enough to maybe need some basic maintenance. I had a Model T reissue head years ago and loved it. I wouldn't chop it up, although it's very heavy. The price is right.

If everything works on it and basically new, only thing I’d check is if you have a repair shop local that could service it if necessary, then go for it.

If just looking for the model T sound and new components, you might think about an all tube model T preamp and couple it to a separate power amp. Correct Sound makes several tube preamps including a basic model T, Model T with rat in the same pedal, dual Model T and Beta Lead in the same pedal.

Jim Kelley

Platinum Supporting Member
I have a chance to purchase a Sunn T50C combo amp with matching extension cabinet from a small shop near were live. The crazy thing is its brand new, was never sold and is mint in every respect. I had thought of making the combo into a head since the deal comes with the matching 1-12 cabinet. Anyone have experience with these or had one, if so please post your experience with them. Now the best part is they want $800.00 for the combo and cab,I think its a good deal, how about you ? Please let me know before I buy the thing, Thanks to all on The Gear Page!
Don't ruin the cabinet, man. Try and be reasonable! ;-)

telejammer

First of all thanks for your replies, the only reason I thought about making into a head version is that its so heavy .You guys bring up a good point about preserving the combo the way it is. I actually got to play the amp and it has a good clean channel and a very usable overdrive channel also. I am going to see if it's still available tomorrow and buy it, like I said it is brand new and was never sold all those years. The guy had it stored away in its original boxes in his basement. Its really a cool looking retro amp that would be nice to have. If things work out I'll definitely post some pics. This one is the re-issue made by Fender.

Al Rose

Gold Supporting Member
You know, you could always have a headshell made for it, and keep the combo shell for if and when you might want to sell it. Mojotone might build one for you.

Al

risto

I know you’ve already played through the amp but before you start using it on the daily, have a tech give it a checkup. More than a few times over the years I’ve bought vintage gear that looked spiffy but held hidden problems. Time isn’t real kind to electrical components.

And, yeah, photos would be nice :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom