Sunshine Blues Festival: Boca Raton, FL 2012

Stratoben127

Supporting Member
I went to this yesterday to see Sonny Landreth and Tedeschi Trucks mainly, but I wanted to check out some other bands too.

Without rambling too much, let me say the event was great! For a first year festival at a location that is not really meant for this kind of thing, everything was run very professionally and smoothly with great vendors and a great layout. I really hope there are many more to come and they add more bands in the following years considering this venue is 25 minutes away from me.

I got to the show at about 12:00 and missed the first band (not sure who). I got there during Jaimoe's Jasssz Band which was great. Then on a smaller stage I saw Big Sam's Funky Nation which was one of the most high energy bands I've ever seen. The crowd ate that up. After that was Sonny Landreth. WOW. I've seen videos of him and seen him in the Crossroads DVD, but watching him up close was a whole different thing. The subtle nuances to his playing with both hands are so interesting to watch. The way he makes harmonics is crazy. I forgot to mention that it was raining this whole time, so it eventually started pouring and I left before Sonny's last song to go get some food.

I came back later to catch the end of the Wood Brothers on the second stage and right as I walk up I hear them introduce Susan Tedeschi to the stage. I had to get up front for this and I'm glad I did. It was great! They did an Allan Toussaint song, but I don't know which one. Susan played a solo behind the guitars player's back on his guitar! It actually sounded really good too. The guitar player (Oliver?) was playing an old Guild T-100 through an old Kay amp that looked like a wooden lunch box and an old Princeton Reverb with a Fulltone Fat Boost and it actually sounded great. He was a really nice guy too and seemed willing to talk about gear while he was packing up his own stuff.

Then came Walter Trout. Great player and singer but a little bit of a cliche' old white blues guy to me, but I really enjoyed the show. He was the loudest by far so I went and looked around at the great vendors towards the end of his act.

After that was Matt Schofield. He was on the smaller stage in a little grassy area and I was able to walk right up to him as he tweaked his rig and talk for a bit about gear. First of all, he had the best tone of the night by far. Unluckily, all of his gear was boutique. But man, his tone was so thick and warm, yet clear. You could hear every note perfectly with no mush or mud and his playing was absolutely fantastic. He also has one of the cleanest boards I've ever seen a pro use. I think it might have been done by RACKDOCTOR on here. I got some pictures of his board if anybody is curious to seem them. He was one of the best performers of the night.

After Matt was Dr. John which kind of sucked. I liked his music when he was a little less senile, but tonight was a little bit of a mess. Terrible backup singer that clearly led the band that was all together a little out of sync. I'm not a music critic and I'm certainly not as famous as Dr.John, but it just wasn't my thing.

The Joe Louis Walker played on the small stage while the big amphitheater was being set up for The Tedeschi Trucks Band. I chose to save myself a spot leaning right on the front of the stage in front of Susan's mic. I was literally resting my head on the stage and it was amazing. The best concert I have ever been to in my life. They played the most high energy, flawless two-hour set I've ever witnessed with new songs and tons of great jams. At one point Susan took a solo (and a few other great ones, in fact) right on the other side of the monitor I was in front of. It was crazy being less than a foot away from somebody like that. They finished with a Sly medley that was possibly the best 15 minutes of music I've ever heard. Derek was ripping all night. I've never been that close to such a ridiculous talent. I think he also noticed me staring at his hands all night because he had a little flub during one song and looked at me and chuckled. I really don't know what else to say. The band was on fire and it was something I think will be very hard to top. Literally sitting right there in front of Derek and Susans's CRANKED Super Reverbs during Bound For Glory was a crazy moment. They said they'll be done recording their new album by the end of the month with music to come sometime this summer. I can't wait!

Mattbedrock

Silver Supporting Member
My wife and I went to the St Petersburg leg of the festival. The weather was great and the place was jammed. I don't think the promoters were expecting such a large crowd and the amenities were stressed to deal with the crowds.

We showed up late, just as Sonny Landreth started up on the main stage.

He had a pair of those Strat style guitars with a thin humbucker in the bridge position. Looked like he was playing mostly in open E, Em for one song. He's really a great talent and had nice sound.

Here's a shot of his Demeter amp. The Twin is a backup amp.

Most guitarists seemed to have a backup amp onstage and ready to go. Didn't see anyone actually use one.

Walter Trout is a blast to see live. He has an irreverent attitude and plays guitar like he's being paid by the note.

He was playing a Mesa through a 2x12. Didn't love the sound, but he sure had plenty of it.

That Strat looks like a 70's model, big headstock, bullet truss rod. A couple of added string trees.

I'd seen Matt Scofield before (at Wanee), so I was eager to see him again. He was playing some new material but sounded fabulous. Great mix of blues and jazz fusion.

His Two Rock was f-----g LOUD!!!

I thought the cab was a 4x10, but it looks small in these pics. Great sounds - loud and sustainy but pretty clear if not clean sounding. Nice.

It was kinda cool to hear Dr. John, but he was kinda a mess. Band was ok but not great. Female trombone and vocals seemed to be in charge. Kinda weird. Whatever.

Tedeschi Trucks band. Want to see some BFF Super Reverbs?

That's five, including one in a head cab.

Derek played a small pick guard SG all night. Susan switched between a brownie Strat and her old blue Tele. She played a bunch of solos, surprisingly. Her singing was awesome as usual. Nice use of the wah pedal. Hadn't seen that before.

S

The band was great and Derek was pretty f-----g awesome. No surprise there.

Looking forward to Wanee!

Two-Octave

Susan sat in with her brother-in-laws band at the after party. The drummer in Flannel Church is Duane Trucks. Playing a Bill Withers song.

frennis

Was at St Pete, and agree with every word of both reviews. That female background singer/trombone singer (and I use both terms loosely) leading the band was the weirdest thing of the day.
The first act that Strato missed was Sean Chambers. Excellent, texas style, blues rock guitarist/singer. He was Eubert Sumlin's touring band leader for years. I've seen him a few times, and he always delivers. He came off the stage and wandered around the crowd during his last song. Fun stuff. Sounds great through his Crate V50s!

Schofield's sound is always amazing. He really puts his own jazzy spin on the style. I believe his two-rocks are his signature models. Singing, clear, and loud tone.

Tedeschi Trucks were on fire, and awesome (like always). I've seen them a few times, and they never disappoint. I thought I would miss Oteil on bass, but the new guy did a great job. Not as fun to watch, but didn't affect the overall show negatively at all.

It was a great festival, with one of the best lineups I've ever seen at one of these things. Only gripe is they needed about twice as many porta potties...

Matt,
Good pics, the Wanee lineup came out yesterday. Looking forward to first-timers to Wanee Royal Southern Brotherhood and Blackberry Smoke. Not really a big Wide Spread Panic fan, but I am a fan of getting my face melted by Jimmy Herring...

bbarnard

I had to be somewhere else or I would have been in St. Pete solely to see Matt Schofield. He's on my "must see" list.

Surprised to hear he had his own gear with him since we had actually tried to book him in Gainesville for Sunday night but his promoter indicated he'd need backline for the gig which simply made it too expensive for us to do the show (and at least break even).

Frennis, don't miss RSB at Wanee if you go. Just saw them in Gainesville a week ago and they were stellar. Mike Zito is really playing great and his Cat 5 amp sounded wonderful. Devon Allman sounded great too, playing through two Fuchs heads and a Fuchs cab.

bullfrogblues

Silver Supporting Member
I really wanted to attend, but our daughter had tickets for the Cirque Du Soleil in Miami Gardens for the same afternoon. That was fantastic!! But I sure wish I could have seen Matt and a few others. Great photos, too!

BlueHeaven

Ah, great music, palm trees, and short sleeved shirts. But mostly palm trees and short sleeved shirts...brrrrr :D

frennis

Ah, great music, palm trees, and short sleeved shirts. But mostly palm trees and short sleeved shirts...brrrrr :D
Actually, for St Pete it was pretty overcast for most of the day...which was great, because when the sun came out for a while, it was too hot!

....sorry, couldn't resist :hide

Stratoben127

Supporting Member
Actually, for St Pete it was pretty overcast for most of the day...which was great, because when the sun came out for a while, it was too hot!

....sorry, couldn't resist :hide
Yeah it was raining until about 5:30 in Boca and then it was beautiful, but muddy. But the rain was nicer than 90 degree weather.

Peteyvee

Premium Platinum Member
Why do I always miss these things? :waiting Anything going on in February near Tampa/St Pete or even Orlando?

reddog112

Silver Supporting Member
Looked like no Oteil? Seeing the TTB is a goal of mine for the new year...I dont think they like the cold!

Mattbedrock

Silver Supporting Member
Frennis -

Yeah, the Wanee lineup looks awesome. I'll be getting my tickets on Saturday. I hope lots of tgprs will be making that trip. No excuse - tons of great players and bands.

I'm a ABB guy but I'm starting to warm to wsp. But it is till Herring that makes it for me. The cat can PLAY!

LocustXReign

Not to steal your thunder, but, I covered this for work. I enjoyed all of the performances a great deal, and I def agree with your review of the show. Please note that I was extremely gentle with my critique of Dr. John as I am a huge fan of Mac's and I feel that slagging an elderly man that has been through that many years of mental illness/jail time/addiction would be in bad form.

That said, the band was not as tight as they should have been, and the broad leading the show made me borderline uncomfortable to watch.

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/countygrind/2013/01/sunshine_blues_festival_boca_raton_review_2013.php

Trending Topics