Super 17 owners, what tubes are you running?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cyguitar, Feb 4, 2012.

1. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

I have a S17 Mk II head on the way, and want to know what tubes you have under the hood? I am interested in new production tubes, as I can't afford to go NOS for now. Also what type of rectifier tube are you using? Richard said 5Y3, but on the website I see the picture of the S17 has a 5V4 I believe.

2. ugameus

ugameus Member

I have a S17 Mk II and I use EHX tubes. No complaints. I am using a Sovtek 5V4G in the rectifier.

3. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

I also use all EHX tubes in my Super 17 head. Richard recommends using EHX power and preamp tubes, I can't argue. I believe there is an RCA 5V4 in the rectifier as well. It is a fantastic sounding amp. It responds beautifully to pick attack/volume changes on the guitar and loves to be pushed with pedals. You are going to love it.

4. jamesrsmith

jamesrsmith Supporting Member

i have had two super 17s,, the last one was a mark 2, traded it for a black dog 20 with 7189 power tubes,, the mark 2 had EH tubes,, i am sure they were matched by mr richard for that amp,, i have used jj's, but hands down the best thing to do is buy the EH's from richard goodsell ,, they work perfecto.. similar to the carmen ghia, but slightly different, i would have to say the perfect desert island low wattage amp, that would be the last one i would buy would simply be a super 17.. they really are that good. subtle, but good. some people want an amp that will blow you out of the room, and these are NOT that,, but for what it does it does it better than most..

5. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

I need to get some EH power tubes then. I am also curious to try the Mullard's in there. I know both are now made in the same factory in Russia. As for the rectifier Richard said to use a 5Y3, but I see you guys have 5V4's in your amp. What would the difference be sonically with 5Y3 vs 5V4?