Super Bass??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fenderbender4, Jan 9, 2006.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Got to play one of these things (a '71) and really liked it. I used a Fender strat and it sounded amazing. I was wondering if there are any builders out there who is making a Super Bass replica. I know a lot that make a Super Lead, but I don't know of any who make a super bass. I was wondering if anyone knew of any builders? Thanks.

2. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

I've got a '73 with a PPIMV that roars.

Mebbe check with Greg Germino? See if he'd be willing to voice his big 100w'er (Monterrey?) on the Super Bass side of things. Worth a shot & super nice dude to deal with.

3. kevo

kevo Member

www.metroamp.com

he's supposed to make the best sounding clones available. you can get a super lead, a super bass, or anywhere in between

4. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

The Super Bass is the best kept secret in guitar amplifcation history. I've heard that Hendrix's Marshalls were closer in circuitry to a super bass than a super lead... :eek:

5. fenderbender4

Shh.....people can't know how great these amps are.

6. rockstrongo

rockstrongo Member

I've got a '73 handwired, one of the last true handwired Marshalls from the original era. The filter caps are starting to show their age and will be replaced soon, but damn if it doesn't sound incredible every time that I play it. I'd take a Superbass over a Superlead any day of the week.

7. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

Buy a real one, thats what you played that you like, all due respect to the great builders, but metal panel super bass's, are around for about the same as a boutique clone.

8. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

will a early 70's superbass(71-72) get a good malcolm young tone circa the Let There Be Rock album? and there's also a cream clip of sunshine of your love on that youtube.com site. i really like his tone. it's real dark and dirty sounding. i thought it was a jtm45/100 but greg germino and george from metro amp said it was an el34 amp. will a superbass get that tone as well?

9. fenderbender4

How "consistent" are the 70's super basses? Also, I really liked its clean sound. Right behind the Onyx, in the best cleans I've ever heard from an amp I've played in my opinion.

10. LZ_69

LZ_69 Member

That album reminds me how my '71 lead stickered superbass sounds everytime I listen to it...

11. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Duane supposedly played a 50 watt Super Bass on the Fillmore sessions, and Gary Moore had one as his main touring amp for a large part of his career. On a lighter note, Rumor has it that Chuck Norris now plays a Super Bass.

12. fenderbender4

Chuck Norris plays one? That's it. I'm buying one now for sure.

13. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

That link is funny as hell!!!!!!!

14. Roe

Roe Member

mal used a superbass on most - if not all - records, staring with dirty deeds
    One exception is ballbreaker which is a jtm100 (with one PT and one OT)

15. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I've got a '71 lead-stickered SB too. Best amp I've ever owned, it roars more than it screams.