Super Bassman Pro 300w for guitar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Samskeyti, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Samskeyti

Samskeyti Member

Has anyone experimented with using the 300w Super Bassman for guitar? We all know the vintage models were popular and highly effective with guitar usage, but I'm wondering if this modern beast is suited for similar applications. An used one of these would be a lot cheaper than a Verellen Meatsmoke.

2. guitargod0dmw

guitargod0dmw Member

I'm sure it would be great. Absolute ridiculous overkill though. A 300w guitar amp?

3. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

4. Samskeyti

Samskeyti Member

My guitar has humbuckers and even most 100w amps are breaking up too early for me. I can't afford a decent Reeves or Hiwatt, so those are out of the question. I don't really need the volume so much as I need the clean headroom.

5. jcarpenter

jcarpenter Supporting Member

Holy **** I thought the same thing a few months back just browsing the fender web cite.

6. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Your 100-watters are probably breaking up because you are clipping the preamp, not because you are clipping the poweramp. This preamp probably doesn't have particularly high headroom so it is likely to do the same thing. You might consider padding down the input a bit on your current amps or switching to a lower output pickup before buying a new amplifier. That said, I have a 200 watt guitar amp and its very cool but it will still clip the preamp before other amps I have that have higher headroom in their preamps.

7. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

Fender Twin not your style?

8. Weezykid

Weezykid Member

Depending on what amp you have since you have not listed it, have you tried swapping in different pre-amp tubes? If it has a 12ax7 preamp tube, try swapping it for a 5751, 12ay7 or even a 12au7 for a little less gain...

If you have a gain knob, try turning it down.

If you are using a gain/overdrive/distortion pedal, try turning it down.......

9. Samskeyti

Samskeyti Member

I had a 70's non-MV Ampeg V4 and Sunn Model T (Reissue), neither of them would stay clean long enough through a 4x12 (T75s) to match the drummer's volume. I'm not interested in dragging a super heavy combo around. I have been looking at Showmans, but the 300w Bassman has me interested, especially since it has all those modern features like the ability to switch output impedance (Dual Showman is stuck at 4 ohms).

I always use the low sensitivity input on an amp and my guitar (stock 72' RI Tele DLX) doesn't really have super hot pickups.

10. Lef T

Lef T Member

That's what I was thinking.
    Clean all day long and then some.

11. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

This is the clue you need. My Redplate amp will play perfectly clean to beyond the capacity of the Eminence Swamp Thang to play clean. In other words the speaker distorts before the amp will. Try using a 12Au7 or 12AY7 in the preamp. That will give you maximum clean headroom. If it is a Fender type preamp also try the low gain input.

12. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

I could have answered this, but the Bassman 300 I bought came to me DOA and I changed my mind about owning one so I just cancelled my order rather than having them send me a replacement. I wish I had it though; I really crave having a bad ass tube bass amp.

13. Weezykid

Weezykid Member

Have you tried adding another 4x12 to the mix? Adding more speaker surface will be better to start than adding more watts to the same cab...

Also, have you suggested to your drummer to "turn it down"?

14. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

SVT's work for guitar, even better is the V-9, SVT power amp-V-4 pre.

15. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

That sounds truly lethal! What years were they made?

16. amphog

The V-9 i have is a later version, it has the distortion channel.

17. Weezykid

Weezykid Member

One thing to consider for wattage increases is that doubling the watts does not mean doubling the volume.. Or in this case tripling.

Doubling the volume is only going to yield a 3db SPL increase which isn't a lot. So jumping into uping the wattage while using the same cab wont yield much of a volume increase.

Here is a good article about appropriate wattage...

http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/appropriate-wattage

18. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I seriously doubt the relationship between this amp and any other Bassman is in name only. It seems Fender's goal would be to compete with Ampeg's SVT, not to make a vintage Bassman except for having 300 watts instead of 45.

19. amphog

The 300 watt Fender was a Sunn rebadged.

20. Samskeyti

Samskeyti Member

This is a different amp. Bassman 300 is a rebadge, this is a Super Bassman.

I'm looking for headroom, not volume, as stated previously.

Thought about it, but as with the Twin Reverb problem, I don't like lugging around heavy stuff. Super Bassman is 65lbs.

I'm playing instrumental post-rock/metal, the whole point is to achieve the "wall of sound" wash. The drummer I play with isn't exactly the hardest hitting guy on the block either.

Hence why I'm trying to find out if anyone has played this amp! I don't expect a BF Bassman tone.