Super Blacks picks (Hell Guitars)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rob G, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Rob G

Rob G Member

I've been using the same Jazz III Ultex picks for many moons and have dabbled with alternatives that fellow musicians have raved to me about, but until recently nothing I have tried has been extra special or effective for me.

I liked V-Picks but find them hard to hang on to.

At the recent NAMM show I met Michael Evanston from Hell Guitars who told me about his Super Blacks picks. These picks have a very different texture to others I've tried- they are made from Delrin, are extremely smooth, rounded with a nice grip and they mold to your finger and thumb.

I have to say the Super Blacks have absolutely blown me away. I am incapable of putting mine down!

The first thing I noticed was a more balanced attack and I found that I was able to play faster runs more cleanly and smoothly. I also noticed a warmer tone coming from my guitar both amplified and acoustic, because the pick enables more of the guitar tone to come through. In the same way you search for a transparent boost/overdrive pedal that lets you hear the characteristics of your amp this pick lets you hear the real sound coming from the guitar. It does not have that brittle edged sound to it that many picks have when they strike the higher strings, it sounds much warmer. The picks currently come in three sizes, 1mm, 2mm and 3.2mm - my fave is the 2mm.

I don't align my name with products unless I believe in them and actually use them all the time myself, so consider this a big thumbs up for the Super Blacks.

http://www.hellguitars.com/picks.html

If you have any comments or questions drop Michael a line at contact@hellguitars.com

He's a friendly guy and won't mind one bit.

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

The point looks a bit blunt compared to a JazzIII.

3. Rob G

Rob G Member

Yes, it's more rounded and less pointy than a Jazz III

4. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

That would rule it out for me .

5. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

Thanks for posting. I'm going to check those out. I've been using the Jazz III's for quite a while.

I found the John Pearse Fast Turtles easy to hold onto also. I only use time for my archtop though.

6. Rob G

Rob G Member

The Super Blacks give a nice warm tone for jazz but I also use them for rock.
    I didn't think I'd ever leave the Jazz III's so you may like them.

7. fyler

fyler Member

hmmm....i will try a 3 pack. i like that they say "Hell" on them. :Devil

8. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

On a related note, those Zero Dot HSS guitars look interesting. They come with Bare Knuckle pickups for $629?

9. Rob G

Rob G Member

Yes, I believe so. Send Michael an email at
    contact@hellguitars.com

10. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

The real surprise to me was the Bender model, an actual set neck guitar with a pair of BK Mules for $649. International shipping for $49? Crazy stuff.

11. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

If anyone asks why it says "Hell" on them, you can always say "Cause it's a Hell of a pick". :facepalm

I'd like to try them but I think they'd be too small for my taste. The material and thickness sounds interesting, but I like to have more surface to hold on to. It's weird to me with smaller picks. I don't let a lot of the pick stick out from between my fingers, so even I think a smaller pick should still work, but I always find myself feeling like I'm going to drop smaller picks when using them. I have no idea why either.

12. Rob G

Rob G Member

You might like these as they are bigger than Jazz III's and feel more solid because of the thickness (if you try 2mm or 3.2mm).

13. S1Player

S1Player Member

What's the exact length and width of the 3.2mm? if you have caliper or ruler to put measure, it would be appreciated.

Also, the "point" doesn't look sharp, but it could be the pictures on the site. Is the point sharp or is it blunt?

14. Iron Guns T

Iron Guns T Member

I've only just started using Jazz III's, thanks to previous info from this forum, and it was a revelation. Love the whole 'cult' status thing associated with them as well........

15. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

I might just try them sometime soon then. I love messing with different picks, so far I've always migrated back to the V-Pick medium pointed since I first tried them but I still love to experiment with picks.

16. Rob G

Rob G Member

Ask Michael for the precise specs contact@hellguitars.com

You are correct, the point is rounded and not sharp.

17. fyler

fyler Member

i got mine in the mail (shipping from Japan took about 2 weeks). i like these & will keep them around for certain things, but they won't replace the (increasingly hard to find) blue Herdim triangles as my go-to picks. the rounder tip definitely blunts the attack a bit. that could be useful for mellower stuff.

18. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

Nearly $2 per pick?

I lose them faster than golfballs.