Super Champ XD Observation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MBreinin, Jun 29, 2008.

1. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Has anyone else noticed that the Super Champ XD sounds about 10 times better after it has warmed up a few hours? I find that the distortion tones go from being a bit too digital and harsh, to being very round and full with a nice compression and that the clean tones really smoothen out as well.

I wish this amp had a standby, because I feel bad essentially letting it cook for hours on end...but that is how to get the best from it, I have found.

Mike

2. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

Hi Mike. I have one that is a very nice little amp. I replaced the 12AX7 with a GT 12AX7M. The stock EH power tubes seem to be OK. I also replaced the speaker. I really haven't noticed it sounding better after a few hours but most tube amps do sound better after the tubes have a while to warm up. I will be using mine a band practice today. I will take care to note if mine sounds better after a few hours. In reality, I think I sound better after a few hours and a few beers! :BEER

3. biggreen

biggreen Member

Not at all. I don't find it digital or harsh when I first turn it on and I don't think it sounds noticeably better after a significant amount of time. I think the digital Pre amp makes this amp more consistent then a traditional fully tube amp.

4. champster

champster Member

I find them great sounding right away. I like them so much I bought a second one.

5. Griz

Griz Member

Me too. It was one of those "how can they do this at that price" moments. The sales guy unpacked the store's first SCXD for me to try, and 10 minutes later I had bought that one and ordered the second.

The footswitch situation is bizarre, though. Still not available...

6. MBreinin

Well, maybe my ears hear something different...because mine does sound a good deal better after a few hours, especially the distorted tones. Mine has a NOS 12ax7, the stock EH power tubes, a RC and a beam blocker. I have been running it into a 2x12 cab with G12H and V30 speakers this weekend.

Mike

7. biggreen

biggreen Member

Doesn't that seem weird being as all of the distortion is derived in a static digital manner?

8. mbratch

mbratch Member

Not necessarily. The signal goes through the tube-based PI and power section, which will impact the tone.

9. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

I noticed no difference in sound between startup of band practice and finish which was 4 hours later.

10. procyon44

procyon44 Member

I liked the SCXD so much I bought its little brother the Vibro Champ XD which is a nice little 5 watt amp also. Channel 6 and 8 are killer preset on both amps for that plexi tone. Mine has a little bit of hiss but not too bad.

11. Zim

Zim Member

the FS are shipping now. My local store has 5 coming in this week. Get the FS! It lets you get the most out of the amp!

I love mine too. I;m on #3!!!! I'm a sick puppy, lol

12. Whamosi

Whamosi Member

Yo Zim! You were right about this little amp... .you got a bad amp habit if you're on #3.

Have 'em hold one of those FS's for me! Got a Ragin' Cajun and a Mullard PI coming this week to put into my SCXD too... I'll PM you.

13. MBreinin

I swear mine compresses once it is hot. I am not imagining things. Even though the preamp is digital, there are tubes in there....three of them. Maybe the power section being totally warmed up has an effect? Or, maybe mine is screwed up...but in a good way. LOL.

Mike

14. richey88

richey88 Member

SCXD had been on for 5 min. here: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6679974

Is good from the get - go. recorded in 15 min., but was inspired w/a riff. You buy, talk to my wife.....Toshiba guts! (tried like hell to find footage of a SNL skit w/ Tom Hanks....oh well)

Check the Stratotone......

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008