Super Champ XD or Blues Junior?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sonic Reducer, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I don't play out, just play at home and get together with some friends. I got to briefly play a Super Champ the other day and was impressed. I"m trying to decide between it and a Blues Junior. I doubt I"ll use the effects on the champ, but I'll definitely mess around with the different voicings.

Had a few questions:

1. Is it a bad idea to buy a super champ used? I'm just asking because if anything happens to it I don't know if Fender would honor the warranty if bought used. It's not like it's a straight up tube amp and would be easily fixed.

2. Any downside to the champ? Low end issues etc.

3. Does the Champ really do a convincing Marshall, Vox and Fender?

Any input would be appreciated.

2. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

#1 I wouldn't be fearful of buying used as long as the amp hasn't been abused or tampered with by an unknowledgable person.

#2 I found 2 faults with mine that are easily fixed. First, the 12AX7 in my amp was utter shite. I replaced it with a Tung Sol and it changed alot. The other thing is the speaker. Toss it in the trash. I replaced mine with a 30 watt, USA Fender Ceramic and now it kills. Loads more headroom and lots of bottom. When I first got the amp, it had a terrible rattle that I sourced back to the cheap tube and speaker. There are many great 10 inch speakers out there, it just depends on what you're looking for.

#3 When plugged into a Marshall 2x12 with 75's I'm able to get a killer JCM800 on steriods tone when at the #8 position on the red channel. The normal channel does a pretty nice Fender blackface Champ/Princeton thing, but breaks up pretty soon, so don't expect loads of headroom.

I paid 10 bucks for the tube and $30 for the speaker. These upgrades really make a difference and I recommend them to anyone buying this amp.

Good luck

3. Dale

Dale Member

I think these get different tones. So it is a matter of what you want it to sound like I think.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  4. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

The Super Champ XD with an ext cab is a lot of fun. I use one for around the house practicing and am quite happy. There are a lot of great sounds in the amp.The BJ is cool too but costs more and does less.

5. Axe-maniac

Axe-maniac Member

Had both - SCXD all the way!!

I run my champ through a 1x12 closed back ext cabinet combined with the internal speaker which I upgraded to a Ragin Cajun and it smokes. Voice 8 on channel 2 sounds massive with this combination. I also love voices 2 & 4. This little amp has plenty of low end which really benefits from the upgraded speaker.

I modified the guts out of my BJr, did all the BillM mods, better speaker & tubes as well and it couldn't hold a candle to the Super Champ which is now my go to amp.

6. champster

champster Member

I have essentially the same exact words as Axe-maniac. I've had two blues jrs and presently own two SCXDs. On my last blues jr I did a number of the BillM mods and tried a few different speakers. After all that I still wasn't that impressed with the blues jr. If you like it for what it is that's fine but it's to me a very limited amp. The SCXD, especially with a Ragin cajun installed is a sweet sounding and very versatile amp. They always sound great.

7. Franktone

Franktone Member

I was wondering if some of you could post pictures of your champs. Thanks.

8. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

I've got the BJ and love it, i didn't really dig the SC just because of the effects and voicings.

the BJ's 3 way EQ is really adjustable and you can get a lot of different sounds just by playing with those, and the reverb is decent if not good depending on your uses.

also the Blues JR has a lot of options for customizations as well as upgrading to 6v6 tubes and getting a bigger reverb tank which can start to push you towards a princeton reverb.

not to mention no finicky electronics to worry about

9. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I had a BJ for about a week. I found it adequate in some respects, but I have a Princeton Reverb. A PR walks over and stomps on BJ's, clean wise, tone wise and reverb wise. The only thing a BJ can do somewhat better than a PR is breakup, but thats not what a PR is for.

The new Superchamp is awesome, compact, and amazing capability with its footswitch. Not all the voices or modeling are best, but a few of them are really good.

10. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

yeah definitely regret getting the Bj and not saving up a few more bucks for a princeton :jo

11. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

What about the Super Champ as far as being reliable and the warranty? Will Fender honor it if I buy used? If there is a problem with it and they don't honor the warranty will it be hard to fix (voicings, fx etc)?

12. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Owned both, the BJ is overrated. Not versatile, midrangey and a bit bland. The SCXD with an RC is as loud but vastly more versatile. Does some BF sparkle, while the BJ just has treble. Vastly different concepts. BF sparkle is magic, the BJ has none. And the bright, vibrant, defining edge holds up through many of the SCXD's overdrive tones, while the BJ has this pleasant one-tone lead sound that is utterly generic. Plus the SCXD benefits from the transcendent sweetness of the 6V6s. The BJ is just another EL84 pleasant workhorse.

Bottom line: after bringing home the SCXD, you can't stop playing it even if your GF is doing the Wii Hula-Hoop exercise in her underwear. It's an addictive toy that probably should be illegal. And so is the SCXD.

Fender kinda blew it here: The cheap SC clobbers the pricey BJ. Oops.

13. champster

champster Member

I have owned both and recently got rid of my blues jr. I tried the blues jr stock and also modded the heck out of it. No matter what I did it still was basically just a boring sounding blues jr, to me. I never have understood people saying that their modded blues jr sounds almost like a DRRI. Bought am SCXD right after they came out. To me these are great sounding amps with a sweet Fender tone. Heck, I liked it so much I bought a second one. I have a Reverend 1030 in one and an emi Ragin Cajun in the other one. I basically just use channel 1, a bit of reverb and an overdrive pedal, or two.

14. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

15. fish78

fish78 Member

Would sombody do some rockabilly type clips on the SCXD...ala the Standel amps of old....pretty please?

16. heavypick

heavypick Member

Got a SCXD and love it. Can't see buying a Blues JR over the SCXD. Much more bang for the buck and sounds just as good.

17. heavypick

heavypick Member

By the way the price of the SCXD went up to $329. Ten years or so ago I bought a Blues Jr for $300 out the door, now they're like almost $500 I think.

18. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Is the Rajun Cajun hard to install in the SCXD?

19. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Word is you just have to really clamp down on the screws to compress the speaker frame to make the short screws fit the deeper screw holes on the RC. Much easier than installing new screws.