Super Champ XD or Line 6 POD X3

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Axe-Man, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Sorry, (in case anyone notices) I posted this in the amp forum by mistake...I'm reposting it in the correct place now...

Hey all,

I'm tossing up between an XD and an X3.

I'm looking predominantly for clean Fendery tones and simple versitility.

I have 2 powered 15inch cabs/mixer etc so the POD could be pretty useful.

They are both coming in at the same price. The POD is not the 'Live' rather the bean - the X3 Live is $100 Aus more...I'm thinking I don't need it as I have a M13 and really just want to use it for it's amp models.

I'll never use it direct or without it's amps/cab sims as this is what I would want it for.

I've heard the SCXD via youtube etc and it sounds great for a little, cheap amp.

Fits the Fendery tones perfectly.

What does everyone think? I prob would be happy with either...though the X3 is on special and available whilst the SCXD isnt' avail til late Jan...odd Fender Aus is out during the Christmas rush...kinda crazy really.

2. mcdonaldkd

mcdonaldkd Member

3. pitseleh

pitseleh Member

Having used both (my main amp at this point is a rehoused 1x12 SCXD), gonna go ahead and say the Super Champ is significantly better.

IMO, the POD X3 is... eh. You have an M13, so you know the effects can range from subpar to shockingly good, but the amp models just aren't there. It's strictly last-gen stuff, I think. It may do it for others, but for me I would go so far as to say it's downright unusable. It FEELS like modeling. As in, it doesn't feel like an amp at all. I just can't get into the sound or feel of it. And of all the models in it, I think the Fenders were some of the most difficult to get "traditional" sounds out of. The go-to Fender tones were, at least for me, very elusive.

The SCXD, on the other hand, more or less feels like a real amp and cops the classic Blackface tone well in stock form, and very well if you upgrade the speaker to something Fendery (I went with a Jensen C12N, but have used a Mod 10-50 in it with good results as well, pre-rehouse). So it definitely beats the hell out of the POD for Fender tones, but in general also just sounds better for just about everything else, save maybe high-gain stuff, and Vox sounds (the Vox model on the SCXD is pretty awful). But, that's not what you're going for, so I'd say it's not even a fair comparison. For simple (the POD can be a little confusing with all its functions) versatility and good Fender tones like you asked for, the SCXD blows the POD out of the water.

4. jezzbo

jezzbo Member

XD no question about it.
    Clean fender sounds (and slightly dirt) are really good.
    Just remember to replace the original speaker because that ain't so good (it sounds good but does fart very fast).
    I replaced it with an Eminence Legend 105. Very, very nice speaker in this amp (IMHO). A lot of people also like an Eminence Ragin Cajun in this amp.

The sounds I like in the XD are:
    (I don't know them by name but you can look google that)

Channel 1 (very nice blackface sound)
    Channel 2: preset 1, 2, 3 8 and the jazzvocing somewhere at the end.

I Hope this helped you.

5. Electric I

Electric I Member

SCXD - no contest.

Chuck in a cajun/copperhead/ramrod & you're good to gig.

6. cber1517

cber1517 Member

+1 on the Eminence Legend. My favorite tones are Channel 2 - Voice 1 (Fender Tweed Clean) and Voice 3 (Tweed OD) at low gain (around 2) for a bluesy, slightly dirty tone with lots of sustain and punch. No pedals required!!
    :drink

7. Casadebomba

Casadebomba Member

Hey man..I am an owner of both The M13 and The SCXD is great (Mod'd mine with a ragin cajun).

They are great to use together....the blackface models are scary good.

I would wait for the SCXD.

rr

8. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Cool, thanks guy's for all the replies.

I am a little surprised that no-one was supporting the POD!

Guess Line 6 needs to work on their Fender models!

Cheers,
    AM

9. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

I had an M13 for 30 days and turned it into the SCXD and cash in my pocket.

10. scott58

scott58 Member

Surprising to me also. It's been awhile since I tried the XD and it was certainly better then my POD through a PA, but I didn't think it could touch my POD through my Valve Junior. I'm going to a store tomorrow to get some strings and they have them so I'll give it another go. If I think it's better (or even as good) I'll buy one. Been thinking about a grab and go amp anyway.

11. jezzbo

jezzbo Member

the SCXD is indeed my grab and go amp.
    And actually the one I play most!
    It's not my best sounding amp but still very very good though.

12. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Hmmm...now to complicate things...

If you now considered the POD for it's other tones...such as Vox, Marshall and a bit of it's metal tones, would the POD then be the better choice?

No recording or other stuff...straight to PA...would the much better Fender sounds of the XD still sway you?

(yes I know this is very subjective and kinda silly but I'll really torn between them...currently leaning toward the SCXD as everyone seems to really love it)

13. scott58

scott58 Member

My problem is the POD to PA thing. I just don't like it at all. Sounds thin and lifeless to me and I was going to get rid of it until i just offhandedly plugged it into Valve Junior combo I'd purchased for my G/F when she wanted to learn how to play. Seriously the improvement was so dramatic I ordered a VJ head/cab for myself about 20 minutes later. I still wasn't that impressed with the OD/Distortion/Fuzz in the POD so i turned to Mr Wampler and Mr Skreddy. Needless to say I really like my "little" practice rig now. These pedals work great with amp models, but it's no longer a fair comparison for the SCXD. Tomorrow I'll play a bit with just the POD and VJ then go try the XD.