Super Chile Picoso and ZVex SHO

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by silencer eleven, Jan 25, 2008.

1. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

As far as clean boost goes how do these pedals compare to one another?

2. JVania

JVania Member

I went with a SCP because it, for lack of a better term, "has more balls". The Zvex is a beautiful shimmery pedal that adds a little more treble than the SCP. It just depends on what you need.

3. JVania

JVania Member

PS Try doing a search for clean boosts. You will find a million threads on this very topic, I should know I started this exact thread like 6 months ago, hahaha.

4. sandman

sandman Member

Yeah, I'm addicted to SCP...can't seem to turn it off, never played a SHO but judging by the clips only it does seem to have more treble.

New SCP with 'fat' switch is even more versatile but I like the dual outputs on my old one...you can bridge Fenders w/ reverb. Serrano Picoso is cool if you want it smaller without the 'fat' switch.

5. erksin

erksin Member

The Serrano doesn't have the top end sparkle like the SCP does though - it really is just a 'MORE' pedal - no added bass or treble boost at all.

6. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

The SHO is a great pedal but its a 1 trick pony. If your looking into SHO's you might consider the Super Duper its 2 SHO's 1 pedal with a master vol, does the same trick with a few more features.

The EQ on the SHO and Super Duper isnt anywhere near flat. It adds more treble . The best thing to do is turn back the amp treble 5-10% otherwise the pedal can sometimes be capable of producing signal that most guitar speakers cant produce without distortion at high volume..

I suppose its a matter of really tweaking the amp right.. I spent 20-30 minutes messing with my mesa to use the SD with it.. Once you get it though the reward is good clean boost :)

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

Yeah, it definately depensds on the rig. My mesa boogie sounded like arse with it, but I like it with my '65 DRRI -which is considered a bright amp.

Go figure....

8. sandman

sandman Member

Really? Cool. I thought YOU once mentioned it's identical...my bad.

9. erksin

erksin Member

Tweren't me... :)

10. sandman

sandman Member

Yeah twere u! But, I think that thread is dead, so we're cool :D

11. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

Thanks for all the info guys. Considering I'm not really looking for the treble boost, I think i'll probably go with the SCP.

Evan

12. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

The SHO or Super Duper, does in fact have a presence boost going along with the volume boost. Depending on the rig, it could add clarity to a long signal chain or add some sparkle or cut to darker guitars, rigs, or humbuckers. You have to try to really know.

I currently have a Creation Audio MK.4.23 and that is a well known pedal for clean, quit, transparent, no-tone change boost. Well, I have to say that it does in-fact have a slight boost in the top end like the SHO but not quite as apparent. It is very nice through and a great looking pedal.

For just your tone but more (volume) so far the best I've tried is the Lizard Leg Flying Dragon. Super transparent, no coloration of any kind, and true bypass. Works great! I'll get this pedal again once I've had a chance to try most of the top clean boosts out there...maybe a long journey.

I have yet to try:
    • Catalinbread SCP
    • Keeley Katana
    • Moolon Signal Booster
    • Landgraff Clean Boost

13. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

The SHO does not have a treble boost. That's a myth. Sparkle is a good description. The improvement is very subtle... the SHO is completely linear, and because of its very high-impedance input, it lets you hear the natural sparkle of your pickups. It does not boost them... it keeps them level instead of killing them like your cable and other effects can do.

If you were to put the SHO on a scope with a frequency generator, you'd see that it's completely flat from a few Hz to well above 20kHz. There is no boost at any particular frequency... there's simply not any muting of the presence, which is what makes it sound different.

14. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Mine definitely has a bass boost with some added grit and a touch of sparkle. Maybe he tweaked the circuit over time(mine is a early blue version). The added character was what kept it from being sold over a couple of other more neutral boosts I had.

15. erksin

erksin Member

Are you refering to the SPP?

This is the pedal I'm talking about - its fairly new...

http://www.catalinbread.com/SerranoPicoso.html

16. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

17. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

You're definitely thinking of the now discontinued Sagrado Poblano Picoso. We folded that into the SCP with the FAT setting.

Seems as if everybody is describing the Catalinbread boosts accurately, no repeated "myths". Other than RoHS, we've changed very little about the circuit overtime. It is based on Orman's MOSFET circuit which we tuned to keep the high frequencies in check inspite of the high input impedance. Resulting in the MORE! pedal.