Super Duper vs. BOR stack into Tim

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dr.tdw, Feb 12, 2012.

1. dr.tdw

dr.tdw Member

For those who are knowledgable about both the SD and BOR, I'm looking to add a double OD + clean boost before the Tim. I think I have a handle on how each pedal sounds, and used to own a SHO, but I have a couple specific questions comparing the overdrive characteristics (leaving the SHO boosts out of it):

1) How realistic and poweramp-like is the overdrive channel 2 on the Super Duper? I know I can hit the front end hard, but I am more interested in unity volume overdrive and don't want to muddy things up with too much preamp gain.

2) How poweramp-like is the overdrive on the BOR set at low gain and higher tone settings? I'm not a big gain guy and want to brighten & thicken up the Tim, which pedal will do this better?

Cheers,
    TDW

2. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

From a low gain guy to another ...

Bump for interest.

3. jjmoreno

jjmoreno Member

I like to use my box of rocks last in my chain because of the major boost it has(10:00 is a bit past unity), I set the volume for the drive portion @ around noon, tone maybe around 1-2:00, and the gain around 11:00.

I use other distortions, overdrives before it sometimes and the soft drive section of the box can give you a great open sounding vintage marshall start. Course once you kick in more before it you get more compression.

Right now I've got a variety of pedals(never thought about using the timmy last since box has the boost).

Are you putting the tim last because of the boost or the natural overdrive? Doesn't the double rock also have a boost?

I've been thinking about getting a new klon and/or double rock to check out as most of my amps I love for clean/loud tones. The days of channel switching/fx loops are long since gone for me. Pedals are more fun!:bong

4. dr.tdw

dr.tdw Member

I'm thinking the Tim will work better as the last overdrive because it's so transparent and the EQ knobs are so subtle. I just wanted to know how the Box of Rock does lower gain tones and how it sounds compared to the Super Duper.