Super glue to fix a chip

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by vortexxxx, Feb 9, 2015.

1. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

My rosewood Tele has a chip on it's neck that I used super glue to fix. I often shave down most of the excess glue with a razor, but in this case I can't because it's not a flat surface. What grades of sandpaper do you recommend that I use?

Here's what it looked like:

[​IMG]

After. you can't see the buildup of glue though
    [​IMG]

these are the glues I'm using by the way.
    [​IMG]

2. B. Howard

B. Howard Silver Supporting Member

I still scrape the CA down a bit with a razor blade. I work very carefully and flex it like a miniature card scraper. I do this with the guitar securely in a vice. It takes agood eye and steady hand. Once I have the majority scraped down I will sand and polish as any other repair. The problem with just trying to sand these repairs down is that you will often wind up through the finish adjacent to the repair. This is part geometry and part because the CA is usually a bit harder than the finish itself.

3. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I did a sloppy job when I used the CA. I noticed there is a drip down the back of the neck. Am I correct to assume that debonder would only cause a mess if I used it on the drip?

4. Chadjohneto

Chadjohneto Supporting Member

The CA will be harder that the surrounding surface. It is very had to get it blended. A drop fill of something like shelac will do better imho.

5. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I just finished sanding the excess CA and it turned out perfectly. You can't tell that there was ever a chip.

6. dazco

dazco Member

Excellent ! I've done many CA glue repairs and have made many of them totally disappear so you couldn't tell if you tried. People will tell you atll sorts of reasons it won't work, but if you know all the tricks it works great. But it's true that in some cases it doesn't work well. Depends on many things. Some finishes it won't melt into, some it will. I've had it work perfect with some ply type finishes and not with others. But theres even more to it than that. Sometimes the type of chip or the color of the finish can make or break it. But unless it's nitro CA is IMO the best way. Even nitro lacquer it'll work with, but it would be better to use lacquer in that case.

7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Not true IME and you will be waiting a very long time building the thickness .

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Yes my experience as well.

9. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I have had great success with Micromesh pads, and would've used them here.

10. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

In what way would you use them here?

11. Rockinrob86

to level and polish out the CA fill, but I see where B Howard is saying that it will be easy to go through the surrounding finish, so it would require a light touch.

I've never had much success scraping with a razor blade

12. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

You need something hard to level it, the micromesh would conform to the shape of the drop fill and you need to flat it ??? You would be in danger of rubbing through the surrounding finish. I make sanding sticks out of hardwoods and various grits of paper for this.

13. Rockinrob86

thanks for the tip, I'll give that a shot. The micromesh would work well after it is leveld to blend it in

14. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Yes it work well.

15. ChuckR

ChuckR Member

Spray the mesh with water as you sand and take it all the way to the finest grit you can get. I take it to 15,000.

16. jcs

jcs Member

I take a pencil eraser & wrap sandpaper around the eraser and then twist it around exactly on the superglue......once you practice, it works well, but it can be slow going.

17. dazco

dazco Member

Don't you mean 1500? Finest i've ever seen is 2000. I would think if theres a 15000 it would be less abrasive than a sheet of writing paper.

18. ChuckR

ChuckR Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  19. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

20. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I actually have some micro mesh pads but I haven't really tried them yet and I'm not sure if my set would have one that is that fine, as I bought them from somewhere else.