Super light portable rig suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slybird, Apr 14, 2015.

1. slybird

slybird Member

For various reasons I am wanting a second guitar rig. It needs to be a super light weight rig. The heavy stuff I currently use will stay at home or sold.

Rig must be able to keep up with a very loud drummer and 100 watt tube amp. I also want the entire rig to weigh less than 40lbs (50 max). The rig needs to be easily to thrown into a cab, a Smart Car, bike trailer, and fit on a luggage trolly.

I am thinking a Quilter Tone Block, a 3 to 5 pedal board, and a sealed or vented pine cabinet with a Eminence Deltalite 2512 will meet my needs

Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  2. stevel

stevel Member

Mic it?

You're never going to keep up with a "very loud drummer" and 100 watt tube amp with most things under 50 watts...but if you mic it, it makes no difference. You could play a pignose.

I would get a modeler pedalboard, run everything through the PA, and be done with it.

I mean, if you're not using a PA, the only options that exist are to have them play as quiet as you'll have to be, or get up into the 100 watt range as well.

You might be able to hear yourself with a 15 watt amp - but the audience won't.

Mic it, or go direct (from a modeler). Problem solved. You could carry a Pod or something like that around - in a guitar bag. Done.

3. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

A Zoom G3 instead of the pedal board. Up to six effects at at time, including amp sims.

4. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

The Quilter Tone Block is 200 watts (and is loud as f**k).

5. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

To me if you are talking a Smart Car, bike trailer, etc... it appears your ideas are on the right track as this setup would surely be ample power in a small package. How it all works out in the real world may be difficult short of putting it all together and seeing how it really goes.

Only thing I can add here is I do plenty of gigs as fly dates, and the most common backline amp is typically a Fender Twin Reverb. A Twin is a quite a bit more power than I typically need, however I find a compressor pedal, a nice overdrive, and a volume pedal to be essential in taming the Twin in a live setting. I run the compressor ON all the time which helps to smooth out the peaks that can easily get out of hand with a big amp.

6. rsm

rsm Member

Nope.

Good luck buying a new one.

:bonk

My new light weight rig is: two Roland Cube-80GX up on tilt back amp stands with a Boss GT-100 in front for effects. The Cubes have a direct out, but will need DI.

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

Ultra light weight, all tube.
    Viking Pillager, 30, 60 or 90 watter.

Head or combo.

8. micycle

micycle Member

I would have laughed at myself for saying this a year ago (I'm 40 and have been playing for 3 of those 4 decades and gig pretty regularly) but a Fender Mustang III v2 1x12 with the 4 button footswitch should not be overlooked unless you've tried/considered it already and it's not your bag.

My other rig when there's a backline amp is a Fly Rig 5. No more tube amps for this guy.

9. zenas

zenas Member

Two things there's very loud drummers and there's VERY LOUD DRUMMERS.

As far as the 100 amp the other guy has that's meaningless too. I use a couple of Twin Reverbs at home and I've played with a group where the another guy uses uses a Mark V. Biggest amp I used with them was a Blackface Deluxe on maybe 4.

But if the other player gets his master volume past two and the drummer really is loud. You need a big amp (or as has already been said) mic a small one.

Really wondering where your playing that loud these days? Used to be head to a club and hear the band from inside your car. Now you have to go inside to hear them.

10. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

I run a Fly Rig (RK-5) @ 18oz.(?) into an Alto TS110-A, 600 watts & 27lbs.

11. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

12. straightblues

straightblues Member

The Crate powerblock might be another choice for amps. It is very small and easy to carry. With the right pedals in front of them, I have heard some really god tone from them.

The Quilter stuff does sound very good.

13. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I think the smallest best sounding thing I could put together would be:
    A Quilter toneblock
    A Zoom g3
    And a tiny high wattage 8 inch speaker in tiny cab.

Should be able to fit that in a backpack.

14. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

I recently played a bunch of fly gigs with a Tone Block, 1x12 pine cab and tech 21FR5. Worked great !

15. realdealblues

realdealblues Supporting Member

Carvin Legacy 3 100watt all tube head (29 lbs)
    They make a carry bag so you can sling it over your shoulder and will hold the footswitch and cords.

A 1x12 Cabinet (usually 30 lbs or less). I have several. They are light and if you want you can take 2 and stack them and you can usually fit them into a go cart because they are so small.
    Carvin's Matching Legacy 2x12 cabinet is very small for a 2x12 and only weighs 40lbs.

I usually put a delay pedal in the effects loop for my solos but that's all I need.

I can play any gig and be plently loud enough to keep up with any band and I can carry the the amp in it's carrying case around my shoulder and the speaker cab in one hand and if someone gets the door for me I can carry my guitar in the other hand and only have to make 1 trip.