1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

super mysterious rmc3 wah noise - help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tonewave, Feb 15, 2009.

1. tonewave

tonewave Member

my rmc3 has just started to get real weird on me.
    and the worst part is that its random and intermittent problem.

when I have the wah on and have it in the heel zone (last %10 of travel or so) there is this massively loud low howl that just comes out of nowhere.
    This howl just randomly will be there (everytime I turn on wah) for about 5-10mins then goes away for a random amount of time, which is really annoying because it often goes bad in the middle of a gig.

I have a bjf ppf on the board too, but having it switched on or off doesn't make any difference as to whether the howl is there or not.

I will say that this is not the normal (high) squealing problem that you get with fuzz and wah. This howling noise is much louder and in the low mids area.

What gets me is that its random and I can't trouble shoot it because its not alway there! (however it does seem to always rear its head at rehearsals and gigs)

power supply or battery doesn't make a difference.

I just don't whats going on,
    have any of you had this problem before with a wah?

thanks

2. tonewave

tonewave Member

bump- anyone chip in?
    I'm really at a loss here as whats going wrong with this wah

3. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

The wah is sensitive to placement proximal to other electronic devices. Does the howl change if you pick the wah up off the ground? Move it away from the amp and pedalboard? If so, you need a shielded inductor.

4. tonewave

tonewave Member

well I'll have to try that.
    but the thing is the noise comes and goes randomly all the while its just sitting there on my board.
    my big question is why does it go? and then come back?

5. muffinman

muffinman Member

you say this just started happening...was it not an issue up until a recent change to your chain (new pedal, different order, change of cables, power supply moved around), or is your setup exactly the same as when the issue did not yet exist?

did you email/call Geoffrey Teese (among the best customer service on Earth) and ask him about it?

6. dosmun

dosmun Member

7. tonewave

tonewave Member

dosmun thanks
    i should've gone to the source first
    I reckon it just might be the loose jack syndrome

and yes muffinman mr teese is amazing with customer service