super re-tension tube sockets

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by flywheel, Feb 6, 2012.

1. flywheel

flywheel Member

I have to re-tension my super reverb tube sockets.I filled the amp up with anos glass but the tubes are dangling by a thread .If I do this could get a shock if the amp is unplugged?I have seen and heard people say that the caps hold a charge and that you can drain the caps.Do I really need to do this or is there an easier way to re-tension without having to hall the chassis right out?Please help:huh

2. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

I'd drain them. I'm one of those hacks who just uses a huge screwdriver and uses it to short the B+ to the chassis. Sparks sometimes...sometimes not....

3. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

You need to drain them.
    There are videos on youtube on how to do this safely.

4. cap47

cap47 Member

Turn the amp on and let it warm up a bit. Leave standby as if you were playing and shut the power switch off. Let set for 10 minutes. The caps will discharge. Unplug and pull tubes. Check pin positions for voltage, if any voltage is still at pins use a test lead with alligator clips. attach a resistor to one end and tape for insulation all but enough of an end to probe with. Attach the other clip to the chassis and probe each pin hole in the power tube socket and check again for voltage. Check, check and check for saftey.

5. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

Sorry, I'm a technician and that phrase means absolutely nothing to me. Please use a descriptive term rather than a metaphor.

If you mean to say that the tubes are barely functioning, then get new tubes.

If what you mean is that they wobble around in the sockets, that might be perfectly okay as long as the electrical connection is solid. Many tube sockets are like that -- the tube moves around but the contacts grip the pins tightly.

If you push the tubes around while the amp is on, does it make a bad noise?

6. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

anus glass?

wait a minute...maybe he means "all new old stock glass" as in TUBES. :lol:

Personally I HATE it when you plug in new tube upside down and they feel like they could fall out if you bumped the amp funny.