Super Reveb vs. Twin Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Joey22, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Joey22

Joey22 Member

Hey guys. Without volume and headroom being an issue, What are the tonal differences between a twin reverb and a super reverb? I can't decide :D

Also, do they have the same reverb tank? Or is the reverb different?

Thanks!

2. m.z.

m.z. "Musician" /Gear Hoarder

get the super! gives up the tone at a lower volume..... others will comment about the tonal differences.... twin is clean for days.... super can get a bit crunchy. 4-10's sound amazing.... I'm totally NOT answering your question..... off I go! sorry! oh and buy the super! thanx! do it! go !

:jo:NUTS:bong:stir? :dude:puh

3. Joey22

Joey22 Member

Haha, thanks.

4. stratcat62

stratcat62 Member

I have a blackface Twin and it's incredible, especially if volume isn't an issue for you. The cleans are excellent, the cranked tone is awesome, and it sounds so big. I run mine boosted HARD from the front by a clean boost (Bad Bob). Yes, it's loud enough to seriously injure both small children and the elderly, but it sounds so damn good.

I believe the reverb tanks are identical in all of the Fender blackface reverb models.

5. wesv

wesv Member

Super reverb, definitely... Breakup around 5 with single coils, around 3 with humbuckers

6. m.z.

m.z. "Musician" /Gear Hoarder

did I mention that you should get the super? I did? oh...... well why are you still sitting there? :) by the way I have the twin reverb..... both are great.... just depends on what sound you're looking for.....

7. rockbutt

rockbutt Member

Comparing the Twin Reverb with the Super Reverb, both Reissues and side by side with a Les Paul, the Super seems to have a more scooped midrange, a bit "drier" sounding than the Twin.

8. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

Super Reverb is more punchy IMO

9. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

I have twins and super reverbs, the super reverb sounds so good, more punchi more clear in the highs. The twin has a great tone but the super is always better to me. The 4x10 is always a great tone.

I think the reverb tank is the same.

10. angelo

angelo Member

Before I got caught up in a world of boogies, I had a Super Reverb and a Twin.

Still keeping the boogies, but when I can justify it, I'm getting another Super.

Tone wise, a Twin is what it is, probably the best tube clean sound around. The super can get that, but also some sag and break at what loud guitarists call a reasonable volume.

11. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Just sold my 65 Super sigh Had the Jenson 10Q's Sigh Ran a new set of NOS Tubes straight across Sigh Played that sucker at full Ten and the walls come tumbling down.Sigh

The Twin I just can't do that Sigh

Anyway I sold a Pro, and a Super and kept the 65 Vibrolux Sigh

12. Joey22

Joey22 Member