1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

super reverb/2 ohm hotplate? Anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Silverboy, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Silverboy

Silverboy Member

I have a great 65 BF super reverb that I rarely use, due to the volume I need to get before it breaks up. I have an airbrake and Ultimate attenuator, but neither are usable with 2 ohm amps. (Unless you buy a specially made Ultimate Attenuator 2 ohms, which is more money than I'll spend for a one-trick attenuator.) Anyone tried to taming the SR beast with a 2 ohm THD hotplate? Does it work reasonably well?

2. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I've used a 2.7 Ohm HotPlate on my transition (drip edge) Super.

I'd say no, it does not work reasonably well. It's one of the few cases where I don't really dig the effect of attenuation on the amp. It makes the amp sound cloudy and sort of lackluster.

Sorry it's not better news from me, but that's what it is. I'm usually pretty happy with HotPlates otherwise.

3. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

I had a different experience from riveratoasters. I had an SRRI that was just too loud (loved the tone). I bought a 2 ohm HP for it and it made the amp much more useful. As long as I didn't attenuate bast 8db, the tone was not impacted to any great extent. I eventually sold the amp because it was too heavy to lug around and replaced it with a DRRI. The guy I sold the amp to did not want the HP to go along with it but I suspect he will call me back for it one of these days. Unless you are playing out in fairly large rooms, the SR is a lot of amp. YMMV

4. ridecat

ridecat Member

Yes, the first Hotplate I bought is for a 71 Super Reverb. I think it works great. I alos tried the a Weber, but found the Hotplate worked best with this amp. YMMV.

5. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I also have the THD 2 ohm Hotplate and think it sounds great with my '66 Super Reverb. I never took the SR anywhere because it was always too loud. Now, the volume is very manageable and it doesn't loose any tone until you get down to almost complete attenuation.

6. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

I`ve been using a Mass 100 set on 4 ohms for my Super, and it works very well. The folks at Weber assured me that running it on 4 ohms won`t hurt the amp.Doesn`t compromise tone that much at all, but like mentioned before, 70 % and up. Anything below that and the tone goes out the window. It sure makes a great amp a lot more useable IMHO.

CT.

7. Silverboy

Silverboy Member

thanks for all the input folks. Ridgeback, you interested in selling your 2 ohm hotplate?

8. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

You may want to check out the weber mass, also. A friend of mine has a vintage SR, he runs it through a weber, it sounds mighty fine.

9. Leftee

Leftee Guest

10. Silverboy

Silverboy Member

thanks for the tip leftee!

11. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

one other suggestion in addition to an attenuator, try the 6L6CB chinese coke bottle output tubes from Groove tubes. Get the #3 rating tubes so that they breakup earlier. Had them in an old 68 Super reverb and the breakup can be had at way way less volume on the dial.

12. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

Silverboy,

If the one linked above in the classifieds doesn't work out for you, e-mail me at nick.carnevali@metrokc.gov.