1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Super Reverb '68 are there any good mods?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by KingsHighway79, May 21, 2011.

1. KingsHighway79

KingsHighway79 Member

I sent my amp to a amp tech, and I am thinking if there are any great modifications on these amps.

One thing we talked about doing was to put on a switch to disconnect one or 2 speakers so you can crank it up on smaller venues..

I don't play clean I want some kind of dirt in there so, what do you guys suggest?

I play mostly strats

I like all kinds of music, but Mato Nanji, Tab Benoit, Scott Mckeon, Shawn Pittman, Ronnie Earl, Mike Morgan, Derek Trucks, Doyle Bramhall II, Greg V, Sean Costello... etc are influences that I have

2. mxvin

mxvin Member

If I may suggest...if it is not the AB763 circuit then have it modded to that. Even if the tube chart says it is it may not be. The tech will know as soon as he sees inside the chassis. I have 1965 SR. I run it with re issue Tung Sol 5881, s and a 5751 in the the V2 hole. I have the tubes bias on the warm side. I forget the exact number.
    The usual tune up items are the filter caps/ Some do the bypass caps without even thinking about it. If I like the tone of an amp I wont change these unless necessary. Thats just me though. There is a tremelo disconnect mod that is easy and its a matter of installing a on off type switch in the speed control spot. I did this on a Band Master Reverb. It def adds more gain and you will get break up at lower volumes. Speakers are huge in any amp....what do you have in there now???
    But please take your time and think about what you want to do and do your reasearch. Most importanly....let your ears tell you like and dont like. Good Luck!!

kosycat1 likes this.
  3. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

I don't think disconnecting two speakers will give you the ability to crank it in a small venue. Try a master volume (mount it in the polarity switch hole). Or...Rewire the Normal channel like this. Crank the Volume and use the 3rd pot as a channel master. Works great for me.

4. mxvin

mxvin Member

very cool.....learn somehting new every day!! I may try that in the BMR/Vibroclone thing I am currently getting together....

5. KingsHighway79

KingsHighway79 Member

well I have done the Tremolo Disconnect mod I have a pot that I can set it on and off, and I also tried the v1 mod which I like, it is a AB568 circuit but runs with a GZ34 rectifier so someone has done something to it already.. It sounds great, but It's got lot of upper-highs with the Utah Speakers which I don't like, I am more a low-mid type of guy but I have discovered that you need treble to sound good in a recording situation..

I just want some options IF I decide to do any mods to it, the amp sounds good as is, so it may work just to get new electrolytics and recap it..

6. KingsHighway79

KingsHighway79 Member

We have spoken about if a Master or PPIV is the way to go for me, I am not sure on what differences there is TONEWISE

I am not a Clean kind of guy, I want dirt and if I want clean I roll of the volume on the guitar..

Do you think your master work ? the polarity hole? where is that

I did see a Fargen modified normal channel on youtube, it sounded great with a much more nicer overdriven tones

I wish I could have heard that mod with a strat guitar

7. CaptainJake

CaptainJake Member

I've had a 66 Super Reverb for a month or so now and it sounds so perfect I haven't even opened it up yet

8. mxvin

mxvin Member

You are right about need some highs for cutting through. SR are treble monsters for sure. Thats why I wen the 5581 and 5751 in v2. Kinda cuts that bit. Also I have the CTS alnicon which tame the treble bite as well.
    If you dig the sound do some simple stuff first and go from there.
    Have you tried playing through a EQ type box to take the highs down?

9. pdf64

pdf64 Member

If the number of (identical) speakers is doubled, then efficiency (in terms of dB/watt) increases 3dB; so if the number of speakers is halved, you should lose 3dB; but you need to consider whether the remaining speakers can handle the power, and the increased stress on the tubes, due to the reflected load increasing to ~8k from ~4k, an consequential reduced tube life.
    I think that Bandmasters were basically the same amp but with only 3 10" speakers, so that may be acceptable, but I would consider fitting beefier speakers remaining speakers to cope with the power.
    A PPIMV is about the best type of master, but even they lose the dynamics and so reduce the ability to effectively clean up by rolling back the guitar volume control.
    Consider different rectifiers; a 5U4 or 5R4 would reduce the B+ and lower the power output some. The 'Ground' switch socket could be used for a switch to reduce the bias voltage a little, so as to suit the alternative rectifier.
    It's not practical to swap rectifiers between songs - they get super hot! - but you could set up the amp for quieter venues, or the 1st couple of sets, then swap the 5AR4 back in when the band can kick up a gear. Just give the amp 5 minutes to cool down and use suitable hand protection before touiching the rectifier. Pete.

10. KingsHighway79

KingsHighway79 Member

No, I use a Barber Half-gainer pedal really sweet OD unit, it doesn't change the amps tone if you don't want to..

I tend to turn the treble down and mid about 4 and bass higher.. I tend to use the Bridge and middle pickups.. for a while I always used the Neck pickup..

Here is the Fargen modified super.. The normal channel is really sounding sweet.. love that overdriven tone..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBeDNp77F5o

11. KingsHighway79

KingsHighway79 Member

I am mostly searching for options, and we have talked about changing the GZ34 to a GZ32.. your Idea was not so bad ;)

12. Funky54

Funky54 Member

Hey , for the record, using two speakers instead of four is great. I did it for like four or five years. Just dont connect two. What you ARE doing is running the amp at higher (safer to a point, ohms) The Super Reverb runs at 2 ohms. Using two speakers you can run it at 4 ohms. Less power means less volume to crunch. I dont know that math, but something like 45 watts to 25?? Anyway its a good sound. My problem with it is the Output Tranny was not designed to run at 4 it was designed for 2 ohms.

I did this for years and played through it at stage volumes with a band at least four hours a week and probably more like 8.

Your call.

Me, I'd go with the Barber Half gainner or a KOT. Another cheap solution is a Butah pedal. You get the crunch as if its at 5 or 6 volume wise only at 3.

Mine is a 67 BF Super. Another side note... two 12" speakers sound awesome and will fit with a new baffle. I did this too. That was my favorite sound, but I needed my bulldogs back for a AC30. I put my four tens back in and use the Butah, but I may go to two 12" again.

Personally, dont mean to dissagree with anyone or make waves...but turnning it into a master volume or getting rid of its wonderful tremollo is like butchery. Two speakers is great, easy, lighter, and best of all, something you can change back with no damage or value drop.

13. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Why buy a nice Super Reverb and castrate it?

Tune it up (new electrolytics, clean, replace worn tubes) and if it's an AB568, consider "Blackfacing" the circuit, including the mains supply dropping resistors, reverb and PI circuits.

No master volumes, no running two speakers ********, no goofy "gain" mods.

signed,
    The Amp Nazi :)

14. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I truly agree with you, however I cant at any gig I play at turn it up like I use to. To make it usable you have to do something to lower volume. maybe a pedal, maybe a attenuater or maybe two speakers. But you have to do something. I love it when the guys who dont play out anymore or who play huge venues say they play guitar into amp direct blah blah blah..cause in my neck of the woods that means you dont play out any more period cause nobody wants that volume anymore.

15. KingsHighway79

KingsHighway79 Member

I am looking for options, and modifying it for my needs isn't a bad thing. Why have a normal channel that is useless? I am thinking of getting reverb on that channel too and try maybe something like the Fargen video on the normal channel.. The PPIMV is something to think about, because in Sweden it's hard to play loud if the venue is small, and a super reverb doesn't sound good when volume set on 2

Pedals can be great, but an amp turned up sounds better to my ears

So like I said, I am looking for options, because I know there are things that could be done to make it more suitable for me

16. RussB

So buy a little amp :)

Why carry a big SR and maybe an attenuator around when you could be rocking a Tweed Deluxe?

17. RussB

Why take a big amp and struggle to make it "suitable" when you should just seek a "suitable" amp in the first place? :)

18. KingsHighway79

KingsHighway79 Member

I had a Tweed Bandmaster that didn't had enough headroom, I don't like the bassman sound, (maybe the Tweed Twins could have done it) but ended up with a Super. I work to get money for my family and can't spend a lot of money on a whole bunch of amps, if I could then yeah of course I would buy different amps. That's why I would like my super to have more options tonewise and be suitable for different venues.

19. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

You could pull all four speakers and load the top ow with a couple of our ohm (your choice of flavors) and get an attenuator (brakelite) to knock a few db's off. Then you still have a super and it's usable.

20. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Member

Hmm...a Super is pretty loud indeed. But a 68 Super is a really nice amp, and I wouldn't modify it too much. I think ordinairy garden-variety tube-screamers work great with SR's and Fender single coils, but I guess that's a matter of taste.

Disconnecting one speaker isn't going to hurt anything (you'll have a 2.7 ohm load, and the O.T. will still be perfectly happy).

Still, sounds like you'd be much happier with a vibrolux.

Does the amp have the original speakers?