Super Reverb ('73) decision...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Artimus82, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Artimus82

Artimus82 Member

I brought my '73 Super Reverb into a local tech who was recommended to me by my most trusted guitar tech in town. I just bought this amp last week.

I haven't received an estimate from him yet, but based on what he and I went through when I dropped it off and what other people on this forum are telling me, I'm probably looking at 350 bucks to get this thing giggable.

Now, a lot of the cost is having to re-cone two of the speakers (all of them are original and from what the tech tells me, he sees holes in speakers in these amps all the time).
    Do you guys think that if I skip the re-cone for now, I can get away with having a respectable sounding amp for a while? I would just have him recap and retube the amp for now and then either replace the speakers or have him re-cone them later.

I've got quite a few shows coming up and I need my amp. But i need it sounding decent~

any input?

2. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 Member

Through a couple cheap re-issue jensen c10r or p10r speakers in there. That will definitely get you through. Tubedepot sells them dirt cheap.

3. Swarty

Swarty Member

I'd say get the amp recapped and have a good set of output tubes installed and see how you like it.

4. jcs

jcs Member

what are the speakers and what exactly are the issues with them? maybe they can be patched if there are slight pinholes only.

weber sig 10s are cheap and better than the reissue jensens,but the truth is there are lots of great choices in used 10s for fairly cheap as well.

i dont know exactly what the tech is doing but you want to redo the bias supply to blackface specs and replace all of the electrolytics (but not the blue molded caps if your amp has them).

5. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Reconing two 10 inch speakers should run you around $100-$120 for the pair. Probably cheaper to find new or vintage replacements.

6. Artimus82

Artimus82 Member

I'm thinking that might be the road I take.
    He's definitely going to be recapping and re-tubing and replacing all the electrolytics, we went through all that.

but two of the speakers (original 137's) have two dime sized holes in them. the tech says he's seen that a lot in those make of speaker. they just collapse on themselves.
    so yeah, he quoted me 70 bucks a shot to recone them. but I'm thinking I'm gonna try some webers or something.

thanks guys!

7. VikingAmps

VikingAmps Member

Those CTS alnicos are the shiznit in SR's. I would patch em up for now and get them reconed later by Ted with his break in procedure.