Super Reverb - Aaaahhhhhhhh!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thorny64, Jan 20, 2008.

1. thorny64

thorny64 Supporting Member

I just finished working on my friends blackface super reverb (real deal, not the reissue) and took her for a test drive. She was slightly bastardized - the tremolo intensity pot was gone and the speed had a master volume installed. I never liked a tacked on master volume on these amps. I called him up and got permission to put her back to stock AB763. Just finished with her, put a new set of 6L6s, rearranged the preamp tubes around and replaced one (to where they should be), fixed a disabled bright switch (why?), and fired her up.

This thing is back to stock except maybe slightly less negative feedback, grounded plug, recap, and a few minor changes. I moved a nice telefunken to V2 (it was in the amp at a different location). Turned her up around 5 and "5"s on the tone stack too. Plugged in a Telestar Mona I had sitting close by (like a silvertone/danelectro 2 pu model). The brightness of the Telestar combined with the compression of the four CTS alnicos is simply magic. That neck pickup is HUGE sounding. Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh! Big - FAT - and Rich TONE. That thing is simply magic - loud as hell! But Magic! Yeah, now it is back to stock - tremolo works, reverb works, simply killer tone - yeeee haaaawww.

I will hate to take it back to him. I like it even better than mine for the moment (can't tell you why except maybe difference in the speakers). Also, I don't usually play this telestar with this amp and so cranked. Maybe mine sounds the similar. Mine certainly is in better condition. Anyhow, I can only guess what a good strat or tele might sound like. I imagine hubuckers would sing with this thing too.

Anyhow, some of these sound absolutely amazing - and this beat up one is definitely one of those. He is going to love having this amp back!

:dude

2. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

3. hasserl

hasserl Member

Personally, I like the added versatility a good MV adds to these amps. Without one they are too damn loud to actually use anywhere (unless you play a lot of outdoor or stadium gigs). The ground switch hole would would work, I'd put one right there. Make it post PI and you'll get all the goodness of the amp at controllable volumes.

4. auffredou

auffredou Member

are they as loud as the twin reverbs? i got a deluxe for the exact reason youre talking about, it was between the twin and deluxe and the twin just seems TOO big and loud.

5. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

I've got a '68 SFSR that I blackfaced. It's got the CTS alnicos and it is a superb amp, and I leave it at the church that I play at cause it's so heavy! But what a sound. Strat or Paul, it doesn't care. It just rocks.

6. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

f*cking loud. and yes, as loud as a twin. . . .'specially with all that air pushin'.

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Great tone! If my back could handle a Super I wouldn't mind having one.

8. scottlr

scottlr Member

I use a dolly for mine :)

9. rastaman

rastaman Member

Dayyumm! I had a chance to buy one of these (a Silverface though) that sounded phenomenal but I didn't..:Spank:FM Reason being I was going to AB it with a Marshall JCM800 and I thought it would be TOO heavy for a clean amp but Dayyumm!! that sounds killer!

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Does she work cheap?

11. scottlr

scottlr Member

Naw, but the view is nice ;)

12. StratTone

StratTone Member

People please stop referring to your gear as "she", "her", and so on......... and if you do at least try and limit it and not use it in every sentence. Kind of physco.............

13. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Thanks Rastaman. Yea if it wasn't so DAMN heavy I'd be using it on my live gigs. The amp has NEVER left the studio since I got it. I've just used it to jam with and record some clips. I've thought of turning it into a head, which I may still do. :D

14. rastaman

rastaman Member

I was thinking the same thing, what kind of cab and speakers would you use to keep the tone sweet? I have a Marshall 1965 4/10 that has Celestions in it, I don't think the clean would sound right do you?

15. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I think you could get away with a 2x10 open back cab. I don't think that any closed back cab would give you the top end you'd want to hear. I'm thinking I'll go the 2x10 openback with some nice Weber Alnico speakers. I'd be nice to leave the cab in the band trailer and just haul the head to the gigs. This would really cut down on the lugging of equipment and be very easy on my back. :D

16. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

Nothing beats a good Super. A cool old Marshall comes in a close 2nd.

17. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

All of this talk makes me miss mine.

I've owned 5 over the years, ranging from 1964 - 1967. Yep, they're loud, and they're worthless for playing at low volumes, at home, etc..., but when you're playing in a big room, there's nothing quite like 'em.

18. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Why doesn't Fender make a modern custom shop Super Reverb, PTP wiring of course with NO circuit boards, with neodymium magnet speakers to cut down on the weight? That would probably take 15lbs off of a Super, and make it almost fun to carry from the car into the club. Oh yeah, and an aluminum chassis with welded seams would be nice too, another few pounds gone. Dear Fender...how 'bout it?

19. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I used to gig with a modded SRRI and used a fold-up trolley to get it from car to venue. Actually I didn't think it was that heavy - not compared to other amps I've had!

20. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Kind of 'phsyco' eh? Put up yer dukes buddy.:dude