Super Reverb, etc.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bleomonkey, May 17, 2008.

1. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

I've been playing a squier starter pack (se-100 with sp-10 amp) for 4 or 5 years now, and I want to buy an american vintage 62 strat and I was thinking about a Super Reverb(probably a silverface). I play in a bedroom and play SRV and John Mayer stuff, but I know the Super Reverb is supposed to be loud. Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether I should get this amp or another one? If I do get a SR, should I get an attenuator or isolation box/cab?

2. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

Hey man,

the 62' ri stat is a very good idea. A super reverb is a VERY loud amp though. Honestly, if you're just going to be playing in a bedroom for now, I would just get a fender blues junior. It's a great starter tube amp. Hell, I have several true blackface fenders, including a 65' Super Reverb, and from time to time I still break out my blues junior for small gigs or home use. It will be infinitely better than your squier amp. I promise you that.

p.s. If you're still a beginner, beware spending too much time here, because it's easy to get addicted, and it would be shame to take away from time that could be spent connecting with your instrument. (Although again, upgrading to an american 62' ri strat would still be worth while)

Good luck on your quest,
    Ryan

3. Joe Gamble

Joe Gamble Member

What HVC said. I would ad that if you're interested in the "old" stuff you could pick up a blackface Champ that would be great for the bedroom thing as well. A Super Reverb is monstrous (I own a '68)!

4. bgroup

bgroup Member

5. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

For a bedroom just get a Champ...You can get a SF for under $300.

6. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Been looking at Trinity's 18w marshall stuff, looks good. That Trinity Deluxe is still what, 15w? Might be a bit loud. A champ would be my vote too.

7. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

I thought a Blues Junior what be a good idea, but I've heard many bad reviews about it. I just want one amp (and a guitar) that will last me a long time. I don't have GAS. On the other hand, how does the champ compare to other amps, and do any significant guitarists use it?

8. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

Sorry, I don't think that the "one amp that will last you a long time" exists.

My opinion? Dump $125 into a Roland MicroCube or Vox DA-5 modeling amp. It'll give you a wide variety of tones to explore at bedroom volumes. When you're ready to play larger places, these amps will have given you experience with the "major" styles of amps and let you know the type you're going to want. Plus you'll still have the tiny amp for quiet practice.

I know that if these little amps had existed (and sounded this good) 20 years ago, my gear search would have been MUCH different!

9. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

I really only want to play the blues. I started playing the blues, ventured into classic rock, then went to shred (vai, malmsteen, satriani) and realized that even though shredding was fun, it didn't feel like real music to me. So now I'm back into the blues and I'm not leaving. I do think the champ is a good idea, but I'm still not certain.

10. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

I just did some research on the Blues Junior and I think it might be a good decision. This helped:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg7KRR9FBlc

I'm really looking for an SRV type tone (I'm already using 12 gauge strings).
    Does anyone know what a Blues Junior would sound like with a Tubescreamer?
    Thanks

11. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

One last thing. Which Blues Junior should I get (Tweed Nos, Tweed, blonde, etc)?

12. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

Good choice on the Blues jr..

13. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

The tweed gives nice tone to the cab. For best tone, rub some dirt on it, and spill some beer as well. If you smoke, blow about twenty packs worth of smoke on it to bring out the real mojo.:cool:

CT.

14. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Member

If you were thinking vintage Super Reverb, a Blues Junior seems not only like big jump down in power (good idea!), but also a huge jump down in...quality! (not so good obviously)

To stick more with your original idea, if you want a mini-super reverb I'd try a vintage Princeton Reverb, same tonal ballpark, but about 12 to 14 watts into a single 10.

15. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

BJ's are a very effective amp in that range. The 12 in spkr is a plus.
    MANY music stores will have a Super reissue and a BJ on the floor to check out.

16. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

A blues junior is not that poor in quality. If you're just going to keep one at home (not taking it on the road) it will not break down. I have had 3 BJ's over past 10 years and never had one go down ever.

BTW, the early silverface champ is also a very good idea. the wattage is so close it doesn't even matter. They probably are built a little better, however it really depends on how well they were kept over the years (they are almost 40 years old) There is no master volume though, so it just depends on what you want.

If you do opt to get the Blues Junior, I recomend the tweed one. It is a little more expensive, but it has an upgraded speaker which make a pretty big difference. Throw some better tubes in that bad boy and it really is a great amp.

Don't get a modeling amp! For the type of music you are playing (good music) you need dynamics and touch sensitivity. Modeling amps have not come far enough along to match tube amps yet. A tube amp will make you a better player. It sounds crazy, but it's true.

Good luck,
    Ryan

17. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

At bedroom volumes, I respectfully disagree. But to each their own.

The Blues Junior is a fine choice if it's gotta be tubes, and you're OK with where the tone will take you. However, I'm even more partial to the Fender Pro Jr - especially if you can find an older tweed model with the blue frame speaker. They're getting up there in price, but there's a reason for that. Great little amp.

18. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

I agree that the pro junior is great amp as well, probably even better than the blues junior. However, to maxamize the PJ's potential, I feel you have to rehouse it in a larger cab, which is kind of a pain in the ass.

as far as modeling amps, I have never played a modeling amp that will bounce and sag with my hands like a tube amp. And I've looked pretty hard. Props to you for finding one you like though.

19. JDJ

JDJ Member

Wait until next month and check out the new Princeton Reverb reissue that's coming out.

20. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member