Super Reverb Experts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Souled Out, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I am demoing a 75 SR. The store wants $1200 for it. I've seen some 63 and 64 models for around $1800 and up. What are the main differences between the seventies version and early sixties models? I've pretty much given up on the new reissues after some inquries here. Thanks for your help.

2. stump

stump Member

I'm no expert but here it goes. Up to 1967 they were " Blackface" 40 watts no master volume. 1968 to about 1971 or 1972 they were "Silverface" 45 watts with no master volume. After that they were, I think, Silverface 70 watts with master volume. The " Blackface" is the most desireable with the 1968 - 1971 being next. I picked up my 1970 for $600 already converted to " Blackface" specs. I think $1200 is too much. It sounds like a Guitar Center price. But it's up to you, play it and if you like it buy it. Happy Hunting.

3. Profklamen

Profklamen Supporting Member

I agree with stump. $1200 is too much if you are in the US. $600 - $800 is the range that these go for. For $1200 you can get a very clean 68 or 69 or mayber even a blackface if you look around a bit.

4. hasserl

hasserl Member

There were more variations. I have a '77 silver face SR w/, 45 watts, w/ 5U4 tube rectifier, Master Volume & Pull Boost.

Like I mentioned in another thread yesterday, if you do not use the pull boost and leave the Master Volume wide open the circuit is basically the same as a bf SR, with some minor changes in the PI circuit.

BTW, it sounds very good.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I agree that $1200 is high (unless it has great tubes in it and has had a cap job recently) but $600 to $800 sounds like "cornfield" pricing. If you're near a major city (with internet access;)) , I don't think you'll find one that cheap.

If no work has been done to it yet, figure on about $200 for a cap job, bias conversion and general maintenance soon after you buy it.

Good luck!

6. Colt

Colt Member

I'm getting a 65 or 66 for 1200 at the end of the month.

I know where 4 blackface SR's will be available for 1500 at the end of the month, or the first of the next. PM me if you're interested, I can give you the guy's number.

So yeah, he's asking WAAYYY too much.

7. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

600-800.00 is totally right for a mid 70's in the Northeast , and we're not cheap. They're not that great amps either! I 've worked on 2 mid 70's Super Reverbs for friends, and they could use some good mods if you ask me to make them sound a lot tighter (similar to what you said) ... But that's the price for them.
    ERIC

8. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

I believe there were some changes in cabinet construction as well for mid-70's SR's. I'm not sure what the end-effect on tone and construction quality would be (I don't have my '74 anymore), just something to be aware of.

9. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

Thanks Guys, spot on replies. I have had a little time with this one and agree it not worth near $1200 to me. As with case with most Vintage style amps I will hold out until the right one comes along. Thanks Again

10. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

i retubed my SRRI with jj's, and it holds it's own with most supers i have
    heard, warranty inc. FWIW!
    ;)

11. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

+1, 1200.00 is too much

12. Screen Reject

Screen Reject Member

Two years ago, I paid $700 for my blackline '68 S/R. It has a screwed in baffle board, metal pot shafts and the back panels are made of plywood. The '68 has its grill cloth stapled to the baffle board.

My '78 Vibrolux Reverb and '78 Princeton Reverb have glued in baffle boards, plastic pot shafts, pull boost switches and "pressboard" back panels. These amps have grill cloth frames that are held in place with velcro.

I love the S/R but the Vibrolux is so much easier to carry! Good luck with the search.

Curt

13. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Whats wrong with the reissue??? I`ve had one now for 4years and its been dead reliable. Sounds great with good tubes. Don`t fall for the PTP vs PCB hype. I`ve had both, and they`re one of the better RI`s that Fender has put out.

CT.

14. doctorx

doctorx Member

$1200 is way to ****ing much for a 75 SR. It would cost another couple of hundred dollars at least to blackface it and get is sounding vintage. I don't think it's a 70 watt amp, but if it is don't buy it at any price.