super reverb how loud

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarwill, Aug 2, 2008.

1. guitarwill

guitarwill Member

i've decided to go looking for super reverbs. I've found a used one to go look at. I'm thinking once i get done doing some upgrades to it, its going to get me as close to the mayer/stevie tone as i'm going to get without going two rock.

I'm sure the volume is going to be great in a live band setting, but how loud is 40 watts. I've got a 30watt peavey classic, but it only has one speaker and breaks up quickly. am i going to be able to practice at home at all with this amp?

pedal wise i use t rex delay, blues driver, voodoo sparkle drive probably get some more at some point along same lines. Will it take these well, or at least as good as my peavey i would think?

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

a super is VERY loud for 40 watts. I think they are too big for most small to medium sized bar gigs.

Good luck.

dk

3. karmadave

karmadave Member

4 x 10" move a LOT of air. Super Reverbs take pedals fine. Volume, on a SR needs to be past 3 to get a decent tone IMHO. Speakers make a difference too. Alnicos tend to break up sooner than ceramics. CTS Alnicos are my favorite speaker in these amps. Oh yea. SR's are heavy so I hope you have a strong back or a decent cart...

-KD

4. guitarwill

guitarwill Member

is it do able or would you recommed something else. is three or four going to be louder than my 30 cranked?

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

probably not THAT loud.

I had an SRRI and I'd say it's a little bit louder than my vox AC30 (wharfdales). Probably a little bit quieter than an ac30 with blues.

bottom line is they'll really make your band sweat before they break up. The amount of headroom is directly related to how much treble you have in your EQ. High treble breaks up a lot earlier.

6. sinner

sinner Member

When you are out looking and trying the SR, plug into other Fenders as well, like a Vibrolux Reverb (blackface or silveface, not the reissue), or even just a Deluxe Reverb. The Vibrolux has 2 10", Deluxe 1 12". Still, they're Fenders, and all have some of the tones you crave.

If you plan on gigging and using at home, pedals do help. I run my '66 Vibrolux on 2 and stack a RC Boost, Langraaf, Zendrive to get me fun tones at a little apartment. My Vibrolux is old and tired though, probably weaken than many. I had a '64 Deluxe Reverb that was very strong, and as soon as the sound came on, it was loud, too loud for the apartment.

7. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

my 66' super is pretty damn loud, but then again, i dont usually hear it played under 6 too much.

8. ozspawn

ozspawn Member

I find my '72 Super Reverb very, very loud. So loud in fact that I almost never play it. It does sound awesome though, but you have to be loud to hit the sweet spot. I mean painfully loud. I get a lot more use out of my other Fenders, especially my '64 Champ, '66 Deluxe Reverb, '69 Princeton Reverb, and '70 Vibrolux Reverb. The Super Reverb does have something these other Fender's don't: Thunder! The Super Reverb is easily my most visceral amp. The sound is penetrating, even at low volumes. However, unless you're playing mainly large venues, you would probably get more use out of a smaller Fender. However, none of the smaller Fenders have the Super Reverb's OOMPH. So it depends on what you are looking for.

9. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Sometimes, you'll see someone with a guitar case covering two speakers to reduce the volume a bit.

10. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Member

I've removed 1 of the 4 speakers with good results (2.66 Ohms I think ?). Less air moving and not enough change in impedance to really make a difference.

11. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

How does a Super Reverb compare to a Twin Reverb? Does a Twin really feel twice as loud? (45 to 100 watts).

I'm going to look at a 70' Twin tomorrow.

12. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Im sorry could you speak up a little my ears are ringing

I use an amp switcher and go between the SR a Vibrolux and a Vibrochamp thrown in for dirt some times all three

13. khromo231

khromo231 Guest

A Super Reverb might be just what you are looking for if you get used to riding your guitar's volume control. Mine doesn't sound like anything special until the volume control gets to around 4, but the tones are waiting for you once you get the thing breathing a little. They can be great amps for live use with the right EQ, use the tilt-back legs, maybe beam blockers/gaffers tape on the grill cloth. Turn the amp up and your guitar down, try a little palm muting. Lots of major electric blues players kill behind these things.

Four tens are very formidable. I have two old ceramic blue labels and two CTS alnico's in an early '70's silverface that I got stupid cheap. It is fine with loud drummers and half stacks and it gets great overdrive without castrating your guitars pickups by having to turn them down too far. Bass response is very solid.

I never thought to use mine for bedroom use, but you should try it anyway.