Super Reverb lovers/experts...Could you give me some info?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by leftyaxeslinger, Jun 8, 2006.

1. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

I've always wanted a Fender Super Reverb. I really dig some of the tones I've heard from them. I have a few questions though...

I probably won't spend the cash on an old blackface. How are the Silverface or the newer re-issues?

I play Strats, a Les Paul, a 335 and a juiced up tele. Will this amp sound good with all these?

Is it pedal friendly? Are there any pedals that shine with a SR? Any to avoid?

I guess I really just need to go play a few but I wanted some feedback from some knowledgeable players.

Thanks!

2. hasserl

hasserl Member

I have a SF Super Reverb, it sounds excellent. I may make a couple of mods to take it a bit towards the bf circuit, but to be honest, it sounds so good I really won't do much to it. Except for the ES335 I play all the other guitars you mentioned thru it, they all sound good.

I think Tube Screamer type pedals work best with these amps, there is something about the Tube Screamer into a Fender Reverb amp that just works like magic. I also like clean boosts into it, I use a Seymore Duncan Pickup Booster, but any clean boost will yeild similar results. You could spend a lot more for a fancy smancy boutique pedal, or not.

3. leftyaxeslinger

Very cool. Thanks for the input. I have few different OD pedals I could test. Some are TS like, some are not. Wonder how the OCD sounds with a SR.

4. karmadave

karmadave Member

Super Reverb is a great all around amp. They can be a little on the bright side and really LOUD with the 4x10" speakers. They can also be a bit heavy to haul around. Good news is that SR's, both SF and BF sound great with or without effects. Most SF models are easy to modify to BF specs. Speaker-wise, I prefer CTS Alnicos or a combination of CTS Alnicos and Ceramics. I've heard good thing about the Re-issues too, except that most amp techs don't like them because they are PCB vs. PTP.

These amps are plentiful which means you can usually find a used BF or SF at a decent price. Good luck your quest for tone...

-KD

5. leftyaxeslinger

How was The One different from the rest? What did it do for you that the others didn't?

6. clunk

clunk Member

The circuits as you probably know differed in the SF amps. Without going into detail, stick with non master volume versions (not sure if fender even made a master version for the super reverb). Also check out both versions with rectifier tubes. Some used the 5AR4 (GZ34) tube and some used the 5u4. I have found the ones with the 5u4 have more SAG. I like both versions. Just a matter of taste.

Clunk

7. kush06

kush06 Member

Les Paul + Zvex Super Hardon + OCD + Super Reverb = :drool

8. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Mine is a '74 SFSR that I had blackfaced by Charlie Barcellona (before he disappered). He dropped the B+ a hair and "blackfaced" it to the extent that was possible.

Its brilliant.

I gigged this amp and a Matchless DC/30 up and down the left coast for years in a two amp setting. The SR was the highs and lows and the Matchless the mids. The SR got a touch of verb, the Matchless was dry. It was glorious.

Takes many pedals well, others less well. It is not an "all-rounder" by any means, but a very fine amp. Heck I even played in a Black Sabbath cover band with this thing.

I like it alot.

9. leftyaxeslinger

Thanks for all the great info!

10. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

My favorite blackface tones live in the Super Reverb. I had a '68 w/CTS speakers that was my primary amp for a long time. Not as complex sounding as a Bassman but much brighter, louder and heavier. My old Super did have frequent issues but nothing that wasn't finally ironed out by a qualified Tech. There are more nuanced amplifiers that partner with pedals better than the Super Reverb. It takes them OKAY but it's an amp that needs volume to shine and unless you have venues to crank I'd say a smaller wattage amp will serve you better. Having said that, there's nothing like a Super pumping a chorus of 4x10 alnico's up your backside. It's a goosebumps experience. It sings especially well with a Strat or ES335. Still, your nuts will hate you and the volume will be an issue for 90% of the clubs you haul it to. Lots of blues-cats dig these amps - and almost every single one of them plays it too loud. Ronnie Earl use to run two together or one with a Twin reverb. I'll never understand the sonic merit of that..certainly not inside a club that seats 200 hundred people.

11. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

Three things you need to know about a Super right off is:

1) They're big

2) They're heavy -- 65/70 lbs.

3) They're loud

All things to consider if you want to gig with it, take it to jam sessions etc.

Plenty of times I took that amp to gigs and didn't turn it up past three.

They sound killer, but honestly they're impractical in many situations. I can't remember the last time I took mine to a gig and I especially hate moving it -- putting only one handle on it was total idiocy, for how heavy it is -- but I can't bring myself to sell the thing regardless.

Silverface Supers are great -- get a non-master volume, late '60s/early '70s ('68 to '73) model. Plan on putting tubes and caps in it which will run $100 to $200.

The '65 reissue is pretty happening too. Last I checked you could buy a used reissue for around $800 -- give or take. New ones are more like $1,100 or $1,200 and everybody I talk to says the stock tubes and speakers leave quite a bit to be desired.

The upshot to buying an old one is that it's going to hold it's value and will eventually go up over time.

12. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I played through many to find that one great one. It was a '67 BFDR with CTS alnicos. The great part was the depth and warmth of the sound. Cavernous, huge tone, worked so well with the reverb. Got real lively when you turned it up. (So far, the SR reverb is the best I've played in the combo amps). Yes, LOUD. Yes, HEAVY. To the point where I never used it, which is how I come to miss it now. One of the best strat amps ever made. Mine sounded even better with 5881s. Maybe a little less bass, but the sweetest midrange and highs. Strangely enough, mine didn't seem to take all that well to pedals.

13. hasserl

hasserl Member

Just my opinion, but it would be wrong to discount the MV versions. My SR has the MV, and though I find the MV practically useless, the amp itself sounds terrific. Just leave the MV dimed and it does not effect teh circuit. This amp also has the "pull boost" function, I'm not settled on that yet. At times I don't like it, other times I do. Typically though I do not use it. I may end up using the switch for something else, but again, the amp sounds so damn good I have not wanted to touch it. I've got a new set of Sprague Atom filter caps here to install in it, but I'm in no hurry to do anything to it.

When I picked up the amp I fully intended to experiment away with it, trying lots of different hot rod tricks. Since it's a sf I felt it was fair game to do so. But once I got it home and played with it and found out how good it sounds, then gigged with it and found out how well it works for that, I've not felt the need to dig into it. So don't fear the sf's or the MV's, they are damn fine amps!

14. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Had a new and an original '65 (plus another '65 that needs speakers and work). Decide finally to solde the new one (in new conditions). The new one sounded very good and very close to the original.

The OCD pedal should work great, I have one on layaway and I tested with a bassman RI and it make it sound like a Marshall, also it will make it louder.

Wathever you decide good luck.

15. JustAHack

JustAHack Member

Definitely try them out. The silverfaces sound GREAT to me, are a relative bargain, and are easy work on. Mine is a '68 SF, and I'd never part with it.

They are heavy, and loud. Get a good road case with casters and lots of handles. Road cases aren't cheap. But if you find a good Super, you'll keep it, so the cost of a road case is stretched out over time. And you can slide it on it's side up and down staircases when you have a road case, hehe. Get a grounded power cord installed to avoid getting the piss shocked out of you.

Unfortunately there seem to be a lot of totally beat Supers out there right now that seem inexpensive, but would be expensive to make right. Lots of crappy mods, cheap speaker swaps, and abuse. Hold out and find YOUR Super - cosmetics aren't that important. Lots of "pristine" old Fenders are still pristine because they suck, and didn't get played. Honest wear is often a good sign. If you can drop the chassis to peek for original components and layout (lots of big fat blue Mallory capacitors), do it.

A few years ago, Supers seemed easier to find. Maybe it's just me, or just in the Southeast. I was lucky enough to be able pick mine out of four SF and BF Supers, all in one spot - Atlanta Vintage Guitar. But that was almost three years ago now.

In your favor, small BF Fenders are really hot now, holding down the prices of larger amps like SF Supers. They just don't KNOW, mercy!

16. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

I have a 67 Silver Face Fender Super Reverb that has been
    modified to 65 Black Face specs. The silver face has been removed and replaced with the 65 Black face panel.
    My buddy Todd who is literally a electronics whiz/genius did all the work, changed resistors/caps that were bad. Some of the original speakers were blowned, so I bought (4) x 10 inch Kendricks Blackframe speakers.
    The coolest part is that he modded the Super Reverbs Normal/channel 1 to
    a Marshall JTM 45 Specs. Man this channel totally screams with amazing tones! Not to mention that Reverb channel is just total Fender Bliss just a big fat wonderful sound. I either use a Landgraff OD or Landraff M'OD and my Klon works fantastic with this Super Reverb.
    I have to admit definitely one the greatest amp ever made, it has enough power yet but more important is its tone and fabulous sound!

17. Mullet Kingdom

I had that done to mine too. And it's totally bad ass! :dude :drool :crazy

Mine also has a 25k midrange pot installed where the low-gain channel 1 input used to reside. The amp tech insisted on it - to make the JTM-45 pre-amp more authentic to the original schematic.

When I take that amp to a session I don't even bother with pedals for lead tracks -- just crank it up and wail. :dude

18. leftyaxeslinger

Sounds like it may be too loud for my needs. I may end up trying out a few silverface models and picking one before they get too expensive.

I was thinking about maybe getting a 20w Fargen Dual Classic. Would the "blackface" style channel of that amp get me in the tonal ballpark? I know I would be missing the the 4x10 and some of the other SR mojo.

19. Mullet Kingdom

The pre amp circuit in blackface amps are pretty much all the same with one or two exceptions -- but the twin, pro, super, deluxe, band master, showman, vibroverb etc. are all based on the same pre amp circuit.

So in response to your question, a Fargen amp (based on a Fender blackface design) should theoretically sound very similar. Though not exactly the same -- given the difference in transformers, speaker loads etc. Also, bear in mind I've never played a Fargen or Allen amp.

What you might consider as a viable alternative is buying a low powered head -- say in the 15 to 30 watt range with a blackface-type circuit -- and play it through an open back 4X10 cab.

A BF deluxe reverb chassis stuffed into an open back 4X10 cab won't sound exactly like a super, but it should sound close enough -- and without being quite as loud -- to do the trick.

Low powered amp pushing big cabinets is a cool trick a lot of guys don't seem to be hip to -- but it sounds great and you can crank up without getting too loud on stage.

20. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

I'm no SR expert, but I would definitely try putting it in and out of your car trunk a few times, and haul it up and down a steep filght of stairs before pulling the trigger. I love old Fenders...for 25 years I owned a '67 blackface twin with JBL's...a back breaker for sure. I also had a Kendrick 4x10 amp for awhile, and it was murder getting it in and out of a vehicle. I'm very old though.

-SF