Super Reverb or Les Paul? Which to get?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by waylay00, Oct 13, 2008.

1. waylay00

waylay00 Member

OK, I'm a dilemma. For a long time, I have been wanting both a Les Paul and a vintage blackface Super Reverb.

Right now, I have:

2005 American Deluxe Strat
    Splawn Quick Rod

The Splawn is great for my Marshall, dirty OD stuff, but obviously, nothing can sound like a Super Reverb for that pristine, signature clean tone. But nothing sounds like a Les Paul with some nice PAFs into a cranked Marshall-style amp.

So what do I get first?

2. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I think everyone needs a humbucker guitar and a strat. Les paul. But if a blackface (or late 60's Silverface) presents itself to you in a deal...go that route.

3. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

Hmmm...what a dilemma! :) Is the Strat your only guitar?

If so, I'm almost tempted to say Les Paul since that would give you a little more versatility guitar wise. i.e if you're going to a gig, I'd rather have two guitars and one amp rather than two amps and one guitar.

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

That's the real shame because LPs sound fantastic through SRs!

5. karmadave

karmadave Member

I'm a big believer in getting the guitar right before the amp. However, a blackface Super Reverb in good condition is heaven, especially if you've got the room to crank it. Otherwise, it's a just a heavy amp...

-KD

6. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Well, I've got an Ibanez RG550 with Dimarzio PAF Pros, but with the locking trem, thin neck, and basswood body and all, it's no substitute for a Les Paul.

7. rog951

rog951 Member

Get the Super. Les Pauls are everywhere and you'll be able to find a good one anytime. Seems like Blackface Fenders are getting harder and harder to find.

8. JLaps

JLaps Member

:agree

9. playon

playon Supporting Member

Me too, get the vintage amp. The way the economy is going you'll be able to find a good deal on a Les Paul in the near future I bet.

10. westchesterdave

westchesterdave Member

I've been playing a Blackface Super Reverb for about 17 years and have never regretted buying it for single second. Gibson will make more Les Pauls. Fender, as hard as they may try, will never again make a real deal Blackface Super Reverb.

Buy the amp!

11. thesooze

thesooze Member

12. es125tcd

es125tcd Member

go with the super, ( or pro reverb, or vibrolux , or even a black face deluxe) - Leo must have sprinkled "magic dust" in these amps up till the late 60's-you can pick up a LP on just about any Craigslist, but a Blackface Fender, well, you could say, Is a horse of a different color !!! Warm tube tone of the Gods !!!! The LP's made now are decent, but don't hold a candle to the Gibson Electrics from the mid 50's to the Mid 60's - I do agree that you need 2 guitars, one of them being some type of fender( or a Home built !!!) , but I'm not a humbucker fan- My #1 guitar is a late '59 ES 125tcd, bone stock except for a tuner upgrade ( grovers, installed way before I bought "Brownie", in 1980) to me , P 90's AND a Blackface fender are the ultimate tone combination - Btw, my amp "collection" consists of a 1971 "B" series UNivox stack bass amp ( 2 6l6's, 2 12" emminences, - The 2 tone blue amp that appeared, then disappeared in about 8 months- used by Jeff lynne of ELO, Edgar winters group and others- very similar to a silverface bassman; a late 50's Airline ( 1 12", 2 6v6's 2 channel amp - has a "mic" ( preamped) and an instrument channel- I run the 59 through the Mic channel and she really screams !!!, and a solid state small marshall combo, 30 watts rms, with 1 10" - the only amp I own that has reverb !!! GB.

13. jcs

jcs Member

any of the silverface supers into the mid 70s can be outstanding too and are a bargain.

if it were me i would buy a silverface super reverb for $500-800 range and a used les paul studio (or a great les paul copy) for $500-700,that way you will have both covered and these are very easy to resell as long as you price them about what you paid.

you can always go out and pay say $1400-2500 for blackface supers,but they wont resell as easy as a great sounding silverface.

same with les pauls,the market is flooded with $1500-4000 les pauls of every kind,myself i prefer a great sg into a super reverb (so does derek trucks).

14. scottlr

scottlr Member

I lucked into a 67 SR a few years ago for $900, w/replacement speakers and grill cloth. I wanted a player SR, not a collectible, necessarily. I'll be keeping that amp forever. But man is it loud! AND heavy! Get the amp, some earplugs, and a dolly. "D

15. citiesLA

citiesLA Member

I'd get a super. I've got a '67 and a Paul and value the amp more than the guitar.

That said, I do hear the argument that you should have your guitars before you get your amps though. I went that route with the exception of a serious detour into pedal-land. :)

16. parker

parker Member

Super Reverb any day! Wonderful amps...

17. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

I think Strats are far more versatile IMO. Go with the amp.:AOK

18. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I traded away my '76 Les Paul Custom. Never regretted it. But a Fender amp? My Tweed and Brown/Transitional is off the table, and every time I think of moving the little '65 Vibro Champ, I get huge withdrawal pangs and kill that idea. Something special about those Leo tube amps that hit you in the gut.

19. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

Get the Super. I've got a '68 that's been blackfaced, and a '74 non-master volume, and I'm out of work----And I just sold my '57 LP VOS. That tell you anything???

20. MartinC

MartinC Member

Super reverb. Strat + Super Reverb is just a superlative combination.