Super reverb overhaul

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kinkirsi, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

I have a silverface super reverb that has been modded to blackface specs. The first input on the left side is now a gain channel and now has a mid switch where the second input is. The vibrato side is my clean "channel". I run an ab to switch between the "channels" It is loaded with Celestions vintage 10s. The master on the dirty side when cranked to about 5 or 6 starts to grind a bit but it doesnt get that "singing" lead tone that I have heard Derek Trucks or Jimmy Herring get on the project Z album. The bass gets very flubby when overdriven, even with an analogman ts9. My tubes are rca black plate 6l6s with nos phillips preamp tubes, no deficiency there! I have no problems with the cleans, just the harsh flatulent overdrive. The tranny isnt an issue,Mercury Magnetics. I was thinking of sending it to Lord Valve for an overhaul, I know these amps can sing if set up right. Any reccomendations on mods or builders who can help with my "project"? I was thinking the vintage 10s might be an issue,maybe something Weber would help. Also, forgot to mention that it had a cap job and has a cathode bias mod as well.Any suggestions?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    It depends what's been done to the "drive channel". Seeing the amp or a schematic of what's been done is the only way anyone would be able to comment intelligently.

If the "clean channel" sounds good, it's definitely possible to get the "drive channel" sounding good.

3. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hey dude, me again .. I'm not stalking you really! lol... Did Billy Carruth do this SR's mods? Just curious. IF NOT , meet up with him up in VT . IF SO , nevermind.. I'm not an amp tech , but I fixed up 2 SF Super Reverbs for friends, and did some mods and they sounded JUST LIKE YOUR DESCRIPTION.. TO me they sucked!!! The guys liked them tho... I've seen Derek numerous times right in front of him , and neither of these sounded remotely like his.... ERIC

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Eric, doesn't Derek use a pedal into a clean amp to get his tone?

5. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

derek never uses a pedal, his tone is just from his amp cranked up. i think one variable here is the speakers that you are using. lord valve sells clones of derek's 10" pyle drivers, he calls them DT-10's and they're something like $70 ea. that may give you the smoothness you want.

6. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Hey dude! I think Lord Valve has got it handled, he is going to put his p10s in the amp and do the "Derek" mods to it, should be fun. I'm gonna run the super w the superdrive 45, ab rig.Clips soon ! Happy turkey day, watch out for the dopamine!

7. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

He cranks the amp to 7. The Phillips 7581's break up sooner than some 6l6's.No pedals ever. Just a 20 foot cable and his fingers, I've owned several Supers and have not heard one sound anything like Derek's. Cant wait to get mine back from Lord Valve!

8. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

+1, Have you heard those new webers?

9. Shea

Shea Member

If you want "singing" overdrive from a Fender, I really think you have to use the vibrato / reverb channel. The vibrato channel has 3 gain stages, whereas the normal channel has only 2, and the tone of the vibrato channel is a bit more compressed and sustains more than the normal channel. Even with a straight-up, unmodded blackface circuit, you can get guitar to sustain sweetly into feedback on the vibrato channel if the pickups are strong enough and you crank the amp up high enough.

Shea

10. ericb

hEY there, just got home from work and noticed the other guys answered this. Each time I stood in front of him he used NO pedals.. In fact he might be the ONLY guitarist I've seen using no pedals!!! Each time I've seen him was with his own "Derek Trucks band" and once briefly with the Allman Bros. IT's a cranked saturated BF Super Reverb and a really nice old Fender tone, but nothing like the clean and flubby Silver Reverbs I've worked with .. . Come to think of it , 1 guy who took my place once in an original band's reformation had a great sounding bf Super Reverb too ... Just beautiful .

ERIC

11. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

12. ericb

13. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

I have a 68 Drip Face with Ragin Cajins and DT10 speakers; It is very loud with a lot of headroom and some wierd brightness with strats. What mod is Lord Valve Doing? What power tubes does everyone like? What tube slot is for the vibrato channel
    Thanks
    H

14. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Here's the tube layout chart. http://kcanostubes.com/content/newsletter_details.asp?ArticleID=5

Honestly, I don't know how anyone is using Super Reverbs is small/medium clubs without getting thrown out unless they have the volume set at 3 or less.

I get enough dirty looks with a mic'd Deluxe Reverb (with OD pedals) when I turn it much beyond 4.

15. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

call him, hes a good friend of mine, he won't do you wrong;
    Lord Valve;303-778-1156

16. Swarty

Swarty Member

Not sure where your info comes from, but 7581s do not breakup earlier than 6L6s... I also think that DTs amps are basically stock and that Willy just gives them a tune-up.

17. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

I got my info from "Willy";)

18. Swarty

Swarty Member

You'd better double check your info. 7581s are high powered/high headroom 6L6s...

19. ericb

I certainly agree.. That's pretty common info Mark .. Maybe he meant 5881's, which are lower powered , ezier overdriving 6l6's.

ERIC

20. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

I could be wrong, I'm just passin' along what Lord Valve said regarding Derek's set-up. While your online, I was thinking about getting an older Marshall combo and souping it up, you seem to know your way around these pretty well, shoot me an e-mail ,we'll discuss.