1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Super Reverb Players......settings, axes, music??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jimfog, Feb 13, 2008.

1. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Hey,

Been digging my recently acquired '68 blackline Super Reverb recently............just a fine, fine amp.

Seems to sound great no matter what I run through it......Strat, Tele, hummers, P90's....whatever.

I'm just wondering what you folks who use them regularly play?

What style?

What axe?

What are your settings....especially volume?? I like it at low-volume, but this is one loud puppy. Any hints on taming it?

Mostly, just sharing the current infatuation.....

- Jim

PS....my 2000th post!!! I really need a life.

2. johan

johan Member

I'm just like you. I get a GREAT tone out of my SR no matter what guitar/pedal combination I use. It's my favorite amp by far!

I usually set the T and M at 6 with bass slightly lower. Volume - the SR sounds great from low settings at 2 and up. It's loud, yes, but as a much better tone at bed room levels than my Deluxe Reverb.

Original CTS speakers

3. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

I play blues and funk.. A P90 Goldtop is my favorite ax right now, although I have a PAF Les Paul and several Teles too.

I like the sound of the amp starting to break up.. This starts with the volume knob around 3 or 4 (depending on pickups, and tone controls). I usually keep the bass knob set low - 2 or less, especially with PAFs.

Outdoor shows or larger rooms, I just run it on it's own. I have a hot plate attenuator I use in smaller rooms to bring the volume down and still get the breakup I like at a lower volume.

4. RACKDOCTOR

RACKDOCTOR Member

I have Kendrick Black Frame speakers, JJ 6L6 power tubes, Sovtek 12ax7 LPS preamp tubes. I only use the first side with the bright switch down volume 4, treble 7, bass 4. I prefer it because it is thicker and fatter sounding of the two sides. I mainly use my Super for clean with a Tyler SE.

David

5. 67super

67super Supporting Member

Almost any guitar sounds great!. I have 67 with original CTS alnico's which kill. I play mainly strats bit my 335 sounds great as well. SR's been my favorite amp since I started playing, 35 years ago. Setting are so easy, I start with treble on 5, mis on 7 and bass on 4 and dial accordingly. It really starts to get loud and fat by 4 on the volume. Blues and Rock are my main styles.

6. 67super

67super Supporting Member

As far as taming goes, I got a 68 DR. I don't want to tame the SR so the DR gives me good tone at less volume. The SR out shines the DR for sure but as you have noticed, Supers are LOUD!!

7. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I used to think that the HRDeville 410 was the best clean amp I'd ever owned until I got my SRRI. It can do just about any style you throw at it. I pretty much use it as a base clean sound for my distortion/overdrive pedals.
    Clean, for me, it covers my blues, jazz and some rock stuff. With distortion pedals, it gets pretty much any tone I want; with my Dr. Boogey I can do Mesa/Rectifier metal. I play on the reverb/vibrato side, Input 2, treble 5, bass 4, mid 6, bright switch off. I replaced the stock 10k mid pot for a 25k (HRDeluxe) that I got from Antique Electronic Supply.
    I've been considering leaving this setup to go with a multi-channel tube amp (Egnater), but the Super Reverb is it as far as a clean amp for pedals goes.

8. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

Mids on 6 to 7, bass no higher than 3, treble on 5 to 7 depending...It starts singing about 4-5...I've got a 66 with 3 CTS Alnicos and 1 EV10M in it. I play a VHR 62 strat, a 335 style and a Les Paul...It plays very nicely with an OCD v3, Fulldrive 2 MOSFET and Xotic BB Preamp...but you HAVE to own a TS9 or other tubescreamer with a BFSR...essential...

Other cool things you can do are swap the 10K midrange pot for a 25K...that said, I won't list out too many amp mods as they sound wonderful stock and you shouldn't open her up unless you know how to safely work on an amp.

9. monstermike

monstermike Member

I haven't used a Super in a long time, but I remember setting it with Treble and Middle somewhere around 7 or 8 and bass and reverb on about 4. No bright switch. I was also playing in a very loud band, so the volume was up around 7, usually. I can't imagine gigging in small clubs with a Super on 7 anymore...

10. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

• 67 Super Reverb
    • Diaz Mods (done myself)
    • 73 Strat
    • EVM 10M Speakers
    • usually set: Bright:ON V:4-5 T:6 M:6 B:3

Mild Breakup Clip

Usually playing Texas-style blues/rock. But I do basically play anything that comes to mind. everything works well with a super reverb.

Taming? Not really sure I understand that question. I've done a series of improvements on the amp to help it tranistion into distortion smoother, but for the most part, the volume is always going to be there. four 10" speakers and 50watts (if you have a SS rectifier like me) is going to stay very loud.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  11. JDW3

JDW3 Member

What are the Diaz mods? Very sweet tone.

12. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Those settings are the sweet spot on a Super. Vol 6-8 is the primo, but Llike Mike says, LOUD!!! I use a Webber with mine, and makes it workable without sacrificing tone. I run a 5761 instead of a 12AX7 in the trm channel, as it smoothes it out a bit less gain. :AOK
    Mike,,,heard your CD on XM Satelite!!! Nice job!!! Great to hear some from here on the airwaves!!

CT.

13. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

• Orange Drop PS caps throughout
    • .047uf Preamp Coupling
    • Normal channel disconnect
    • Tremelo Disconnect
    • SS rectifier
    • .68uf/2.7K Cathode pin 8
    • 22uf/2.7k Cathode pin 3
    • 2 x 200uf series caps in power filtering
    • 100k input resistors (I didnt do this though..)

... I think thats it.

14. gushtone

gushtone Silver Supporting Member

I like to play my '63 Firebird through my Super. Vol = 5, Bright off, Treble= 5.5, Mid = 8.5, Bass = 6.5. Killer on any pickup setting! Huge on teh neck, super wide and detailed in teh middle, and slicing/biting but fuill on the bridge. Yeah! Mini hums just slay through these amps, and there's something about the Firebird neck through thing as well. But my LP Deluxe also crushes through this setup.
    Can't go wrong with the world of Fender either, I also play my 77 Tele and '65 Strat through it, though I tend to goose the volume, lower the treble, peg the mids and pump the bass a notch.
    Peace...

15. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

great thread!

16. Trainwreck

Trainwreck Supporting Member

I have a Silver face Super with Eminence speakers and i use big bottle Mesa tubes...Vol. 4...Tre 3-4...Mid 3...Bass 1 1/2-2...Rev 2...I have been using the new Road Worn 60s Strat and it sounds Amazing...I play Blues/Classic Rock/and what ever inspires me...Music is Good for the Soul.

17. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

The Super Reverb with a strat with low output pickups is to my ears the definitive Fender tone.I own five(64,66,73,and 2X 74's)My favorite Super player is Ronnie Earl and he has stated his setting as Vol-7 Trb-10 Mid-10 Bass-4 Reverb-4.5.
    As for the volume at these setting a 2 ohm Hotplate at -8 works nicely.What i'm talking about take it away! Mr.Earl- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ_TD6nPctM&feature=channel

18. TheMachine

TheMachine Member

'64 Super Reverb, always in the Vibrato channel. It is currently loaded with Weber DT-10 speakers (LOVE these in BFSR's). Settings are:

Bright switch - up (on)
    Volume - (as loud as the venue will afford)
    Treble - 6 (a little higher if the amp is being pushed hard, a little less at low volumes)
    Mids - 5
    Bass - 7
    Reverb - 3.5-4

Great amp for lots of styles.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  19. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

I have a 64 I've owned for years. They are truly great amps. Yes, the SRV, Ronnie Earl, JLV tones are available in spades, however, I think this represents the best of a Super Reverb tone. Note how it sounds BF, but so much different from a Pro Reverb or Twin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr9vKWLgZzo

20. Reeltarded

Reeltarded Member

Pretty much all sevens with the volume on 10 with a Les Paul... not reverb!