Super Reverb Question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Charlie_Strat, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Charlie_Strat

Charlie_Strat Member

Some time ago I put a Blues Jr into a Head Cab and used it with an Avatar 2x12 Cab loaded with Scumbacks, and it was a great combination, but I traded for a lovely Strat. Now I'm looking for a new amp and somehow I ended in this page: www.vintagesoundamps.com

Since I still have the avatar cab with a H75/M75 pair of speakers, and I would love to have another nice fender amp, this guys can make their version of a Super Reverb into a head cab with a multi-tap output transformer with a selector switch so I can use practically any cab.

So my questions are:

1. Has anyone ever used a Super Reverb with a 2x12 cab?
    2. Did you like the sound of it?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  2. candh

candh Member

Old Tele....he did mention a multitap OT...

I've been meaning to convert my 73 SFSR to a 2x12 with an OT swap as well...but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Let us know how it goes Charlie.

3. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

It may sound a bit like a Pro Reverb.

4. jazzwannabe

jazzwannabe Supporting Member

Couldn't he find a pair of 4-ohmers and wire them in parallel? Are there any common 4-ohm 12s out there?

5. Charlie_Strat

Charlie_Strat Member

The new head will have a multi-tap OT so I'll be able to use my 4ohm cab. Can some teach me on Pro Reverb amps...

6. telejammer

telejammer Member

Ted Weber makes alot of speakers in 4 ohms

7. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Funny you should ask because this is exactly what I'm doing with my Super Reverb.
    After playing my Wampler CrankedAC into my cousin's HRDlx, it sounded vastly different (and much bigger) and I got the itch to go back to 12"s after about 12yrs of using a HRDeville and now the Super.
    I went through LopoLine and ordered a 2x12 convertible cab (closed/open back) and a custom built head cab. The 212 should be here on Friday, the head cab on Monday. I asked around several times about whether or not I could run a 4ohm speaker load to the Super's 2ohm (minimum) load; even Ted Weber said it was fine. That was good enough for me. I have two (8ohm) Eminence RW&B's on the way too. I'll wire those in parallel for the 4ohms.
    I'll post back when I have something to review. I love the Super, but wanted a bit of a different flavor from the speakers and something a little more mobile; the Super is heavy, but more awkward to carry than anything else. Splitting the weight of the Super into head/cab mix should do the trick. A Twin Reverb would have probably fit the bill as well, but still had the weight issue and I'm partial to a tube rectifier.

8. Charlie_Strat

Charlie_Strat Member

That's exactly the reason I'm doing this. I had a Super for about 3 years and it was my main amp a few years ago, but being a gear-bulimic...

Keep us posted how it goes.

9. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Will do. 45w into the 2x12's should be nice.
    FWIW, this is the best 'distortion pedal' amp I've owned. If I didn't have this setup, I'd go with a multi-channel tube amp.

10. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    It will sound very close to a Pro Reverb, a great Strat amp, IME. Also won't be quite as loud as a 4x10 Super, which can work to your advantage.

Last night I did a Fat Tuesday gig with a very talented guitarist who had a Super Reverb. He/the band was also very loud. I know I sound like a wimp, but I went home physically wasted (I don't drink). Maybe the saying is true, "If it's too loud, I AM too old."

11. Charlie_Strat

Charlie_Strat Member

hey Bucksears, any news?

12. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

Long answer: I built a Weber kit that is basically a Super Reverb head with multi-tap output. I run this with 3 speaker cabs (not at one time!)... 2x12 open, 2x12 closed, and 4x10.. I find that each cabinet has distinct qualities...

Many of the Blackface Fender amps were all based on the same circuit: AB763.. The speaker configuration accounts for the sonic differences between a Super, a Bandmaster, a Pro Reverb, etc..

Short answer: Loaded up with British-voiced 12's (Celestion or Emi copies), it sounds REAL GOOD!!

13. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Great idea. Clips please!

14. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

British voiced 12's? Like Scumback m75's?

15. stratton

stratton Member

I have a '59 Pro that sounds GREAT through my Matchless cab, open back 2X12, V30 and G12H.

I'm going to try my '66 SR tonight. :BEER

16. Dollar

Dollar Member

Just wanted to add that Power and especially, Output Transformers account for the sonic differences as well.

17. Handonam

Handonam Member

I am also in fact in this boat, too!. Bought my Super Reverb 2x12 from ted weber on monday. Should be here before i hit for spring break :)

18. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

I've heard good things about the Scumbacks... and I seriously considered them.. but it was much easier for me to find good deals on used Celestions.. But yes, that certainly is a good British-voiced 12 option!