Super Reverb RI vs. Custom Vibrolux Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by steven.rogers, Jun 23, 2006.

1. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Supporting Member

Okay, so I've been looking for a new amp for quite a while now, and I've finally narrowed it down. I know that I want to get either a Super Reverb or a Custom Vibrolux. I would play mostly jazz and blues, but occasionally some rock stuff gets thrown in. I am heavily influenced to buy a Super Reverb because of Wes Montgomery and Derek Trucks - they're my favorite artists and I love their tone. So clean, jazzy tones are the main factor here. Although I do know Wes's tone is also affected by his guitar, moreso than with Derek Trucks's.

I like how the Super Reverb breaks up, but I probably wouldn't get loud enough very often to hear that. And I found someone selling a Super Reverb for $750 (I talked him down $50, though) which may be a pretty good deal. Apparently, it's in an original '65 cab with the RI electronics. Hell, I'll just post his email:

What do you guys think?

I could also probably get a Vibrolux for around $600, but I hardly have any experience with it, although I have heard good things. How early does it break up? Also, how big of a difference in sound will a 2x10 make as opposed to a 4x10? I also noticed that the Vibrolux doesn't have any mid knobs and the Super Reverb has one on its tremolo channel (which the Vibrolux also doesn't have). Would that be a big deal? And weight and portability also a pretty big plus for the CVR.

But anyway, sorry about the long post, so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

By the way, this is also my first post here...:BEER

2. lord preset

lord preset Member

Aged cabinet wood? Hee hee! That's world class silly. But what about the speakers? Are they new or original to the cabinet? They could make a huge difference to the sound. In any case you are trying to compare two amps you have not heard. You apparently have heard a stock Super Reverb, but the one you have considering has been mess with quite a bit so it may sound very different.

Comparing a stock SRRI with a Custom Vibrolux, the Vibrolux is only slightly lower in wattage, but the 2X10 speakers will break up much earlier than the 4x10 SSRI. As for overall tone, the SSRI comes fairly close to sounding like an original blackface SR. The Custom Vibrolux sounds very little like an original Vibrolux Reverb to my ears. I was not impressed by it's clean or overdriven tones. If you do not want the bulk and volume of the SRRI then look for a used Deluxe Reverb Reissue. It may or may not have the clean headroom you need for jazz depending on the volume you need, but the tone is excellent.

3. steven.rogers

Yeah, I thought the same thing while reading about the "aged wood" sounding warmer. And I'm not sure about the speakers, I'm waiting for pictures and a response from him which I should be getting tomorrow.

I don't really want any breakup too early, so the Vibrolux may not be the best idea. The main thing I am looking for is clean headroom, which the SRRI has and also breaks up at a good time - its cleans and its overdriven tones are very nice. I did actually think about a Deluxe Reverb RI, but I'm not sure that 22 watts (I think it's 22, atleast) would be enough. Although I have heard that it's basically just a miniature Super Reverb.

But anyway, I appreciate the response. I'd love all the replies I can get, so don't hold back.:) I may just end up looking for a SRRI on eBay for a good price if this doesn't work out. Or maybe I can find one here, who knows?

4. 1964

1964 Member

Aren't the blackface reissue cabs particleboard, as opposed to solid pine of the originals? Isn’t the Bassman *LTD* the only non-Custom Shop amp with a solid pine cab?

And there are many folks that think aged woods in guitars makes a big difference, so why not cabs? Solid wood cabs certainly sound better than particleboard ones, and in general the woods readily available in the 60's were certainly better than the woods generally available today.

5. steven.rogers

I'm not sure about what the cabs are made of nowadays, but yeah, the originals are pine. It probably wouldn't make too much of a difference, but I guess it would sound better.

But yeah, they guy's supposedly sending pics tomorrow and I think I'll post them here just to give you all a look at it.

6. 1964

1964 Member

> "It probably wouldn't make too much of a difference, but I guess it would sound better."

The biggest tonal improvement for the *non-LTD* Bassman Ri with particleboard cab was to re-house it in a solid pine cab!

7. Jazz guru

Jazz guru Member

I was in your shoes a while back - a new bassman, SRRI or CVR - i stumbled onto a used Vibro King. On eword of caution dont try this amp with out supervision or you will say i willtake it before you ask how much. I play in a group that is 1/3 straight jazz, 1/3 blues and 1/3 60 politically incorrect rock. The VK is perfect all it needs is a good overdrive pedal.

8. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

The Custom Vibrolux has very little clean headroom. It may sound ok with single colis,but a humbucker will mud it up considerably. I think the Super is closer to the original than most of Fenders non custom shop amps. You can't go wrong with the price and it will sound better in the older pine cab than the newer ply one. Just MHO.

9. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I'd get the SRRI, as long as it has decent speakers. I've heard the RI comes close to the original, haven't tried that for myself. By contrast, I have yet to hear a custom VR that would do it for me. They are not like the originals, and what they are like, I don't like.

10. lord preset

lord preset Member

The SSRI has a baltic birch cabinet not particleboard.

11. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

I'd go super, though I'm not sure I buy this guy's hype.

Of course if it were I, I'd look at the new Supro with 3x10's. Built by the guy that designed the VibroKing.

12. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

I think you should be able to score a silverface super for that much and have a point to point amp instead of the printed curcuit. Makes a difference to some tonally.

13. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

Well it'll cost more, but it sounds like an Allen Old Flame 210 would be perfect for you. Good headroom from big efficient 10's...I think he's using Ragin Cajun now.

It'll cost more up front (may be 2nd hand available) but you'll most likely not need to upgrade or have any reliability problems so it'll be good value in the long run.