Super Reverb Speaker Question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dave Orban, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've been gigging through a '68 Super, and have been enjoying the heck out of it.

It has a quad of tired-looking Music Man alnicos in it, and gets pretty farty on the lower registers.

I'm thinking about replacing the speakers, and was wondering if anyone had some speaker/combination recommendations that had worked to tighten up the bottom end, while keeping the top end sweet and slightly broken-up...?

2. glaswerks

glaswerks Gold Supporting Member

In my 66 I used (the speakers in it were a hodge podge of junk) the Fender original blueframe reissues (eminence) and they work pretty well. Not sure if they are tighter on the bottom end, but they do sound nice.

Other options might be the Celestion vintage 10's or Jensen C10N's.

Gary

3. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Hi Dave,

I recently had my 68 Silverface Super Reverb modified to a 1965 Blackface Super Reverb specs.The original speakers were blown, so I opted to replace them with Kendrick Black frame 10 inch speakers. I really dig these speakers what a huge sound, very tight bottom and top end is sweet and sings!
    Great speakers.

4. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

CTS alnico's!

5. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Yup, I think the Fender reissues are okay.

I've got the Jensen reissues in my VT-40 and they're not flubby either (at least not with that amp/cab).

I think we may find better, but there are definitely worse/flubbier sounding speakers out there too. I'm waiting for Seavall (southbay) to get his new 10s from Weber to try them out...

6. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Dave,
    For what you are describing, the combination that came stock in my Uncle Spot Super Reverb is superb: two Weber P10Q's on top, and two C10Q's on the bottom. Very 3D sounding, just enough sweet breakup from the alnicos, with killer low end definition and depth from the ceramics.

I've been playing through this arrangement for four years, and have never thought about changing it. It is magical.

7. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

I've been searching TGP recently for opinions on Super Reverb replacement speakers myself.

I came across this thread: http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=87148

I'm also looking forward to checking out the Scumbacks.

BTW: Didn't you used to be able to name a link when posting one?

8. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Second Moods on the CTS alnicos.

Got em in my old BF Super Reverb and that amp can sound pretty good even though the speakers are very old and pretty used up. Many Fender amps suffer from loose bass and in some part it is because they have a lot of bass content to begin with. Turn em up and the bass overwhelms the preamp, the power amp and the speakers.

The Super Reverb and the 4-10 Fender models in general seem to have the tightest bass. Still, much above 3 on the bass knob at any kind of higher volume is probably going to give you trouble. So the first thing I do is turn the bass down to less than 4 (or less than 3). After that, the CTS speakers give a little, roll off the bass a little more, and sweeten the top a little.

FWIW Weber has been threatening to come up with an alnico CTS type speaker for a while and he may be getting there. I'd check in with Ted to see if he is close.

If it wasn't so darn big and loud, the Super Reverb might be a favorite amp. Been playing through mine for a long, long time (almost new when I bought it!!) and it is probably one of two pieces of gear that I own with any kind of sentimental attachment. And it is a good amp too. Just too big to gig for anything other than the most special occasions.

hunter

9. Gary

Gary Member

I've gotta stock 66 SR, I use 2 CTS alnicos and 2 Kendrick Blackframes, other times, I drop the chassis into a 68 BM reverb head box and use 2 JBL D 120 F's, original cones, and then run another ext cab with 2 cts alnico 10's. I think the CTS speakers have a lot to do with the character of the Super Reverb tone, you should have at least a pair running with the amp and then mix a different kind of speaker if you like, maybe some ceramics for a tighter low end. Of course, these are just my ears talking here:). Good luck, Gary

10. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Dave,

A big second on the Kendrick Blackframe 10s. From what you described, I think these will be perfect. Tight low end, and sparkly highs for days.

11. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

I had an original '66 Super, and loved it's tone. After trying a couple different speakers, I settled on som Weber's, and for the life of me I can't remember which model!

What I really wanted to say was that in my experience with Webers (Super Reverb, Clark Tyger, Victoria Double Deluxe, '57 Twin RI) that all have needed, and I mean needed, a break-in period. They all started out sounding very trashy, but after about 10 hours worth of loud playing really started to come around, and eventually sounded killer.

12. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Mr. Orban! The popular combination I've seen up till now is two Celestion Vintage 10's and two Jensen Alnicos (P10R, IIRC). That's what Kirk Fletcher uses in his Super, BTW.

I have yet to receive my latest batch of 10's, so I'll hook up with Leon to try them out in his Super when they show up...

13. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Early Eminence alnico 10's,like the ones Peavey used in their '73 "Peavey Vintage" amp,with four 10's.These have a big alnico magnet and hold the bass down well.If you've heard of early Sam Ash speaker bottoms and tube amps,these came stock in this series also.

14. radialaced

radialaced Member

I'm playing an outdoor wedding for a bunch of bikers tomorrow and I'm taking my 65 super. I'll have the 50 watt Fuchs for backup, (leaving the Rt66 home, but that's another story).

I use P10R RI in mine. I have two Allen 1040's and two Black Beauties and they sound unbelievable but they make the amp unliftable. The P10R's hold the bass pretty well if you don't go over 5 on the bass and they are light. But at first they were a little bright and stiff so I figured, "what the heck" and I treated them with fabric softener, and I thought they sounded better, (they smelled nice too). So I treated them again. Now they sound buttery smooth. I play humbucker guitars through the Normal channel, (my favorite channel on old Fenders) and I find that I get a nice velvety overdrive from the amp and the speakers at about 4 and above on the volume.

BTW, Yep.....it's loud, which will be perfect for tomorrow's gig :)

15. Fretts

Fretts Member

I would like to know how the speakers hold up over time; if the fabric softener does anything bad after awhile... or if it is just a great idea that works.
    Hope you can make a "10,000 mile" report later on.

16. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Can't beat vintage CTS alnicos if they're in good shape.

I had a BFSR that I used for everything from jazz to blues to hardcore. I put a mesa v-twin in front of it to get a great metal sound (sacreligoius, I know), and it sounded spectacular, but after a couple of years the speakers lost their bass definition due to being abused.

I sold the amp a while ago, kicked myself for a few years, and recently picked up a 1965 Super. It came with Eminence speakers that sounded suprisingly decent, but I replaced two of them with alnico Tone Tubbys. I haven't yet had the chance to crank it, but at bedroom levels the amp has lost some brightness and gained punch and thickness.

I'm still unsure if I consider this an improvement. I bought the TTs used, and do not know if they are fully broken in yet, but so far I'm not in love with them the way I am with the 12" TT in my BFDR. The tubes that came in the amp are crap and the TT's may be making that more apparent, but I doubt it.

I just bought 3 vintage CTS alnicos (looking for the fourth) but have not yet installed them. I first plan to install two of the CTSs with the TTs and see what happens.

The Webers are always a good option, and 2 Celeston Vintage 10s in the mix sound could make sense for stage volumes.

Good luck on your quest...
    stratzrus

17. ChrisGS

ChrisGS Member

As soon as they are available , I'm going to try the upcoming Weber CT-10's (CTS alnico clones).

I tried Kendrick 10's and they're not for me... Also, I tried Jensen C10R re-issues , and now the amp is too bright .

I had a Silver Super Reverb with the original CTS speakers and they worked real well together .

Another 10 " speaker that I'm curious about is the Emenence Copperhead...real good reviews , real good price .

Good Luck with your speakersearch ,

Chris.

18. shelshaf

shelshaf Member

Aren't CTS alnicos sought after because of their aged, weaker magnets? Is Weber doing something to duplicate this? Some kind of aging process? Weaker magnet materials? Otherwise, they would just be another alnico among the many that are already out there, right?