Super Reverb speaker question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Neil, May 16, 2008.

1. Neil

Neil Member

I know there are threads on this question but they didnt appear to answer my specific question. So thanks in advance for bearing with me.

I have a 66 super reverb. All stock apart from new Jensen P10Rs. I bought it like this so do not know if it has always been this way but the P10Rs sound bad as the volume rises. At 3-4 on the volume and a 335 with classic 57s it sounds good although a little quieter than I would have expected and a little thin sounding. Turn it up to 6 or 7 and it distorts with a raspy unpleasant distortion. I have tried it through other cabs and it sounds much better:

2x12 closed back with scumbacks, nice tone, no raspy distortion (in fact it rocks nicely!) but not enough headroom for cleans.

2x12 with old Classic leads 80s one open one closed back. No raspy distortion but it is a bit bland. More headroom.

1x12 2 rock sig. Sounds good but a bit 'stiff'/hi-fi like.

1x12 open with a greenback. OK but a bit harsh (this surprised but it is a new greenback so may need breaking in).

Just to confirm the P10Rs were the problem I plugged my 2 rock head into the 4x10s of the SR and it sounded ok a low volumes but with that really bad breakup as the volume increased.

So my question is what 10s should I get to go in the SR that are :-
    full and punchy,
    have a smooth breakup,
    are efficient for some good headroom,
    have a tight bass and smooth treble?

Many thanks in advance

Neil

2. 250k

250k Member

I've always liked eminence cs850's in my supers. I've been interested to try mixing 2 of them with 2 of the eminence redfang 10's to bring some british vibe to the table. Just a thought.

3. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

I got a couple of Ragin Cajuns I don't need....they might be a good match.

4. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

We have a 1969 with Weber's. 2 x 10F150 and 2 x 10A125. We have gotten many compliments with this set up. If you feel like making the 50 mile trip to A/B yours with ours, just send me a PM or Email.
    Good Luck;)

5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I have yet to hear anything that sounds better than the CTS Alnico 10's that originally came with it. I'm on my second Super Reverb and I bought up a bunch of them that I'll have reconed. You can get them used for $35-45 in need of a recone.