Super Reverb Speaker Question?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Hadden, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Hadden

Hadden Member

I have a 1965 Super Reverb that I thought had one blown CTS speaker just to find out the other 3 are pretty much shot.

Do I spend $160 to get the others reconed, or do I buy newer speakers for it?

It's not so much about $$$. It's also that I'm under the idea that the CTS Speakers kinda maybe suck?

I'd like your take on this.

Thanks Matt

2. WaltC

WaltC Member

I like the CTS just fine, but I'd not re-cone them. My experience w/ re-coned speakers is that they rarely sound like the originals and the process costs as much as buying new, and there are ample choices around between THD, Eminence, Jensen, Weber and even the new Celestion 10's to chose from.

3. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 Member

4. schmidlin

schmidlin Member

Great question. I assume those are alnicos, and are some of the best in the business. Not so on the ceramics, IMO. If you recone, you still have that original look and feel, preserving some of that valuable blackface-ness/value. Not sure what *shot* means: those could be brought back to life. Personally, I trust Weber for the recones and you will need a suitable break-in period. If not, their CVC10s are fantastic in a Super, and less than a recone ($40 each). Perhaps you could defray a little (or break even) by selling the originals. Probably better to hang onto them.

Hope this helps.

5. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

+1 the CTS alnicos are considered by many to be the best 10's in a Super end-of-story. The Alnicos have a square magnet - the ceramics are round.

Don't let some tech talk you out of those CTS alnicos, only to have him re-sell them! (yes, I've seen this). What specifically is "shot" on the other 3 speakers? If they are not torn or physically damaged, and there is no coil rub, they should be fine.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  6. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I've tried several other 10s in my old Super trying to save wear and tear on the original CTS alnico 10s that came in it. Nothing i've tried (Jensen RI, Weber jensen type, Eminence) sounded as good in my amp as the CTS speakers do, so I'm back to the CTS. I hear that Weber now makes a clone of the CTS speakers and I may give them a try at some point. If you like the amp with the CTS speakers you may be disapointed if you put in something else.

7. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I have had 3 BF super Reverbs and all CTS Alnico,s and they are the best for that sound of the blues tones.

8. pdf64

pdf64 Member

My buddy's got a 68 SR with those CTS alnicos - they are amazing, not efficient but what a tone!
    Recently a speaker buzz developed and I identified which speaker it was. When I examined it, the voice coil cover had fallen off and the glue joint between the coil former and cone had failed in one section - if the coil former was pushed gently in, most of the way around it the cone moved in also but in this one section it didn't.
    I ran a bead of black rubberised superglue around the joint, pushed it in a little a few times to get it to work in to the old joint and left it overnight. Then used a bead of clear UHU around the inside edge of the voice coil cover/cap, and glued that back onto the former, left overnight. Result - buzz gone!
    The CTS are quite easy to work on - a similar repair on an '62 Jensen was much more difficult, as the glue seem between the cone and former was on the underside of the cone.
    As long as the cone is good, repairs to failing glue joints on these old speakers are often possible and can save the original tone and avoid the hassle of a re-cone. Pete.

9. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Well,Weber now does re-coning again.
    I have had CTS speakers re-coned with better-than-new results,so why is everyone worried so much about re-coning?
    Sure there are some re-coners that don't use the right stuff,but those are easy to avoid.
    I also agree that CTS alnico's are the best Super Reverb speaker.
    Why not check out Weber's re-coning service?

www.webervst.com

10. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

I agree that Weber is a fantastic choice for re-coning. They are a great company. It's just that I feel that "worn, tired" speakers are a crucial element to the vintage Super Reverb vibe.. and I wouldn't rush to re-code a CTS Alnico unless it really needed it.

11. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

+1 for weber. Great job on my Brown 60 Super Oxfart. Unfortunately the other (not blown) sounds like a$$.

I love the CTS alnicos in my super reverb. If I were to blow one I would get it reconed too. I hate to say it but "fortunately" if all your speakers are toast the will ALL sound better once reconed.

I say recone them. recones of good speakers are worth more than blown speakers (to me anyway).

12. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

Gee.. I cant believe I have never posted here before.. sorry guys.