Super Reverb Speakers are Killing My Ears!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by monkeyodeath, Aug 7, 2008.

1. monkeyodeath

monkeyodeath Member

I'm sure we've been here on the forum before (apologies), but I wanted to ask you guys about Super Reverb speakers - specifically, what's the difference between the "CTS Sound" and the traditional 2xP10Q 2xP10R arrangement?

I have a '65 Super Reverb that came with RI Jensen C10Q's - the original speakers were shot.

I like the sound, but the treble on the thing - especially with, say, a Telecaster, is almost overbearingly spiky and harsh. I don't know if I need to swap a couple out with alnicos or replace the whole set, anything to tone the sucker down - I'm needing to run the treble at 4 and the bright switch off just to tolerate it.

I'd like something a bit smoother and nicer-sounding, to say the least, and I was wondering if some of you might chime in about what combinations you like and what you like about them.

2. DOMINIC

DOMINIC Member

Probably new speakers would help....maybe two ceramic tone tubbies and and two alnico tone tubbys....also try the weber beam blocker..it blocks the unwanted high frequencies...good luck

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

So is this the 65 Reissue? Or an original? If original, find the CTS alnicos: they really do sound great and take the edge off of a too bright Tele just fine. If it's a reissue, I'd definitely jetison the reissue Jensens and try some Emminence (ask around for specifics) or Weber P10Q copies.

4. monkeyodeath

monkeyodeath Member

It's an original, yeah.

I was just curious as to what the difference between a set of CTS's (or Weber CTS clones) is compared to, say, a P10Q and P10R.

5. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Those jensen RI's are ice pick in the ear! They can make a great amp like the mighty super reverb sound horrible and unmusical IME. Harsh speakers never liked em. Your way better off with Webers or Eminence you cant go wrong with either.

Im actually debating on whether or not if I want to put two Weber Michigans or EVM 10 and Eminence 105's in mine.