Super Reverb, Vibroclone, JBL, Neomag, etc

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cerebralpaul, Mar 29, 2008.

1. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

So I want a Vibroverb/Vibroclone with JBL-type 15". I have a Super Reverb that I could easily put in a Vibroverb cab but that means I'd need to use a 4ohm speaker, and there's not too many 4ohm JBL d130's around, so my next thought was the Weber Neomag but there's not a lot of reviews out on that one yet. IMO the pros to this setup would be:

mid knob
    lighter weight

Not sure if that would yield the best speaker tone though. I could also do the actual Vibroverb/Vibroclone route and get a real JBL but IMO that would be the only real pro:

real JBL speaker

I could also put a real JBL in my Super and use something like a Weber z-matcher, but that might a)mess with the tone and b)add weight which is one of the reasons I want to use a Vibroverb-type amp anyway(instead of a 2x12 or 4x10 JBL setup). Would love some input on my decision-making process...:cool:

2. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

Super Reverbs are 2 ohms.

Just sayin'.

3. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

Yeah I know, thanks. I'm comfortable running it at 4ohms though, but not 8ohms.

4. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

I can dig it!

5. chaz

chaz Member

FWIW I've had real JBL's and Weber has reconed a few for me too. They did nice work and I've always been very happy with the results. I haven't heard the new Neomag ones from Weber but I'd bet they would sound excellent. I've always found Ted's advice to be spot on, and he's stated that the Neomag nails the JBL tone. I'll wager it does.
    The other option you might consider would be installing a good replacement transformer and going with the correct ohms match for an original speaker.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

A JBL D130 is a HEAVY sucker, if Weber says the NeoMag matches the JBL tone, I'd at least give it a try. At worst you sell for 60% of what you've got in it, not much of a loss! At best you discover that it sounds great, and then I replace the Jensen in my 15" extension cab with a Weber (keep me posted).

7. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

I built mine around a 72 super reverb.The scarcity of 4 ohm 15" guitar speakers lead me install one of David Allens multi tap output trannies TO-60(69$) he has them made by Heyboer and they bolt right into the existing footprint.
    I had a 15 EV SRO that worked well so i went with it still a heavy sucker but hey it has a heavy tone too!Save the orig tranny and an 8 ohm 15' much earier to sell if you want to try a JBL Big Ben etc....
    [​IMG]
    Big ass EV SRO-[​IMG]

8. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

Well my reasoning is: swapping the amp chassis to a different cab/speaker configuration takes 10 minutes with a screwdriver- and if i want to switch it back to a stock Super Reverb, reverse the process. This would not be the case with tranny replacement.

9. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

Ah so I'm the guinea pig! :BEER

10. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

Cool amp Soldersucker! A multitap tranny could be cool, Problem is I have no experience with wiring amps... looks frightening and/or expensive.

11. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

Not scary at all 5 ?solder joints and about 35 minutes if you take your time for the ot swap.That project was also very inexpensive,I got the Super quite cheap (425$) and e-bayed every thing speakers cab etc...made a good chunk back.199 for the cab (jd newell)69$ Allen Ot Blackface faceplate 29.00 and my labour= about 275.00 into the amp done.
    I have since done another the same way it's a 1x12 made from a Bandmaster reverb head.Kinda the amp Leo never made a 40 watt 1x12 ab763 reverb amp.Thats another story.
    Go for it you might surprise yourself,if you get into a pickle post your dilemma and we are glad to help.

12. FleaRadical

FleaRadical Member

You could install an output transformer with an 8 ohm tap. Then the Super's 8 ohm speakers could be wired in Series-Parallel (or is it Parallel-Series) to give you an 8 ohm overall impedence. That way you would have a matched load in either case. I built a Vibroclone from a SF Bandmaster Reverb using a Weber re-coned JBL D130. I used a Mercury Magnetics Tweed Bassman output transformer with an 8 ohm output. I later built a Super Reverb using a similar 8 ohm output. The chassis were the same size so they could be swapped out easily.

13. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

Bump for any reviews of the Weber Neomag...

14. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Member

15. Rollin

Rollin Supporting Member

I've been using the neomag 15" for a few years with a SR vibro clone and love the tone I'm getting. I have a SR that has a multi-tap so I usually use the neomag along with a 12" celestion gold ext. cab and it produces big, dynamic tones, it's one of my favorite combinations. I also have a 4ohm neomag I use with a Bandmaster Reverb converted to blackface specs, similar to a SR, which just sounds awesome. I find the neomags offer very close tone to the JBL. The thing about the JBL is if you have an old one or a reconed one, it might not sound as it should. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

16. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I run my SFSR into a 4 ohm Weber California and get wonderful tone from it. Mine's UL so it's a 4 ohm tap, but 2 to 4 ohm mismatch is a cake walk for SR iron.

17. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

A lot of Webers are available w. 2 ohm coils, amongst which their vintage line and high power line (amongst which the California).