Super Reverb vs Bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vendo, Jul 3, 2006.

1. vendo

vendo Member

Comparing the new ones, both are 45 watt amps into 2 ohms, and the same speaker complement, pretty much the same in price.

So, tremolo and reverb aside, what are the big tonal differences clean to overdriven??

Just curious...

2. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

Tweed circuits tend to be more compressed (than their blackface brethren) especially in overdrive -- and just sort of hairy sounding in general.

If you can, go to the local Guitar Center try them both and draw your own conclusions. :)

3. vendo

vendo Member

My local shop has neither but I am headed to a GC this summer when in Oregon. Is the SR more chimey than the BM? More shimmer? I'm sure the circuits are completely different but was curious as to which had the better cleans I guess.

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

a generalization would be that the SR is better for cleans, the Bassman is better for overdriven tones.

5. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Bassmans can do terrific cleans, IF the guitarist knows what to do with a volume control. If all you do is dime it, you're right, Bassmans are hairier.

6. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Vendo: It really depends on what you consider clean. If you're thinking stark, crystal-clear surf clean, then you're probably thinking in terms of BF clean. Tweed has a sort of thicker clean sound. Just as loud, but maybe easier on the ears at the same volume levels. More mids. Pbradt is right. Plenty of cleans (and headroom) in a bassman.

7. Tankguy

Tankguy Member

The main difference I found when A/B comparing the two, was that as stated, the Bassman responds really well to minor volume changes, and change in playing/picking intensity. Really a very expressive amp.

Love the Super Reverb, too. Beatiful tone, but the Bassman was what I needed as the baseline building block for the tone I am chasing. Almost there now....Two great Strats, a little amp, a big old fat amp, some stuff to stomp on....still adding.

It just never stops, does it?!?

8. vendo

vendo Member

I picked this out of another thread which I found interesting...

The Tweeds emphsize the midrange tones, while their Blackface cousins shun the mids in favor of accentuating the high and low frequencies. In my experieince, Tweed Fenders are less accepting of pedals in comparison to Blackface amps. My experience with both types of amps is that Tweeds love single coils guitars (obviously designed with Fender's Telecaster and Stratocaster models in mind), while the Blackface models accept both single coil and humbucker equipped guitars very well.

So another question: How well does each take pedals/PODS, etc?

9. CADdrafter

CADdrafter Senior Member

i have a 1996 edition Fender Bassman RI.

my amp has taken pedals extremely well. not sure about this guy's opinion: "Tweed Fenders are less accepting of pedals in comparison to Blackface amps."

both amps take pedlas very well!

10. Zim

Zim Member

I'm haveing the same idea as the guy who post this. I read some where That the Bassman has more tone due to the lack of Reverb and Vibro, not sure if it is true. Any one know for sure? And does either take pedals better than the other? I want Reverb and Vibe- but do I get it in the amp or a pedal? This has been killing me too. My local shop has the Bassman LTD but not a '65 SR, so I can't A/B them. They do have a Pro-Concert Reverb, but I did't like it at all......

11. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

Recently addressed in the post linked below...

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=150315&highlight=Srri

To sum it up, both are fantastic tone amps, but in different ways.

SRRI, less mids, more top end. Bassman, heavy on the mids, smoother top end, less bright.

SRRI more flexible with 'verb and tremolo. BMRI more flexible with the ability to bridge the channels.

Both have tons of bottom, great cleans (different in the mids), and that wonderful 4X10 "swirl". Both are loud, and both are heavy (SRRI - 65 lbs, BMRI - 53 lbs).

The overdrive comes on earlier in the BMRI and is more organic, smoother, more of a rock/blues crunch. The natural OD from the SRRI comes on very late on the dial, and is more gritty and bluesy, and remains "clean" even when crunching. Both retain lots of note clarity when pushed.

If you prefer cleans, go SRRI. If you want to push your amp into natural OD, go with the BMRI. Other than that the differences are subtle.

12. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Now you know. :)

13. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

I've seen a lot of "RIs" in this thread, and it should be made clear that neither the SRRI or the Bassman LTD sound much like their vintage counterparts.

You may LIKE the sound of these amps, and that's fine, but if you're looking for an amp that sounds like the real deal, these won't get you there.

What I did was buy a used RI Bassman (not the LTD) and had the chassis gutted and re-wired with the 5F6A circuit. This was an economical way to do things. Had the speakers I wanted (Fender Blue Alnico 8-ohm) already. I have since invested in Mercury Magnetics output transformers (sounds even better) and eventually, I'll get a Mojo cab (better built) to replace the butt-jointed Fender cab.

But if you get an off-the-shelf amp like the reissues mentioned, don't expect it to sound remotely like the real deal.

There's a '68 (first year of the SF amps) on Ebay now for less than a grand. Get that, have it serviced by a competent tech and away you go.

14. Tankguy

Tankguy Member

Here is what kills me about this particular forum. I realize that there is a dramatic boutique leaning here in the forum, but Fender is making some of their best production amps, ever. QA/QC has improved dramatically, tone is great out of the box. I know that tone is a subective topic, but not everyone has the time and money to drop $4000 into each amp. For those of us that don't the current production Fender amps fit the bill nicely.

I enjoy plugging straight into the amp and playing it. Sure I tweek and fiddle, but after dropping over a grand on the amp, I am not spending more to impart a sonic difference that my ears cannot pickup.

15. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I scored my early '70s Super for $500 bucks in a pawn shop. It sounded like ass on fire when I got it, but a trip to Bill Webb's bench for new caps and whatnot made it sound superb. My total out of pocket cost: $800 :eek: About what you'd spend on a used SRRI. It pays to shop around.

Go to my myspace page to hear me beating it into submission with some funkyfied guitar pimp slaps. :RoCkIn :crazy :NUTS

In my experience, tweed amps don't sound their best with Tube Screamer type ODs pushing the front end -- the tone gets all muddy and undefined. Clean boosts work great though. Tweed amps seem to work best with either a clean boost or nothing at all. :YinYang

16. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

:roll:crazyguy:rotflmao:eek:

Who told you that? The DRRI is an acceptable amp, for a PCB amp, maybe the Bassman LTD, but if you think anything from the production line (as opposed to the Custom Shop) compares favorably with the Fender amps of the '50s or '60s...well, I'd have to disagree strongly.

Would you mind listing the amps from the current Fender Line (no CS amps) that you believe compare favorably against a '49 Champ, a '59 Deluxe, Vibrolux or Bassman, or a '64 Deluxe Reverb or Super reverb? I am genuinely curious about what you think are Fender's good amps. .

17. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

+1 !

Stories of great scores like the one above by pbradt is encouraging, but not certain enough for most of us. I am ALWAYS looking for that kind of situation, and in the last 10 years, haven't been quick enough on the draw yet. Things like kids, family, work, etc... seem to get in the way. Even with cash in hand, and loggin in here and other sites daily, those opportunities are far too infrequent to allow me a chance to grab something like that.

Most of us want a player that we can gig with. Not a collector that we are constantly worried about and need to "baby" all night. Add to that, the always worrisome issue of 40+ year old circuitry and reliability.

Believe me, I would love to have a house full of original vintage amps. I am sure that there is a difference in the tone (I have heard it) but the difference isn't enough to force me to spend 3-5 times the price and take on the added stress of hauling a valuable vintage amp out every weekend.

18. Tankguy

Tankguy Member

My main point is this. Fenders production amps had serious problems from the silver face, CBS era, right on through till the mid-nineties. Their average, working class amps are better now than any time in recent memory. I am not comparing a '65 Super Reverb Reissue to an all original, vintage amp. I am stating that for the average joe, Fender makes some of the best in class for affordable, dependable tube amps.

Most of the people that I know, converse with and play with on a regular basis are happy with a new amp. Sure some make minor mods, but what in the name of all that is sacred, is the point in dropping 2K+ on an amp, to gut it and rebuild it.

I see the amp world as two distinct groups.

1) Those that enjoy playing, and can make do with a current production amp, but would gladly pull the trigger on a vintage amp in the right circumstances.

2) Tone Snobs. These folks aren't happy with anything. Most own several amps that are very obscure, and if they are forced in to owning a non-boutique amp, then it must be gutted, rewired, contain NO PCB, etc, etc, etc. ad nauseum. Most of us cannot afford this, and it is unrealistic to expect otherwise.

I play for the pure enjoyment of playing. I love to play, I am happy with tone that I get from my gorgeous 59 Bassman LTD and Strat. Couldn't be happier. If people ask my opinion on the amp, I will give it freely. If people think that I am nuts, so be it. I have a mass produced Fender amp that I love, and I can make that Tweed monster sing, good enough for me.

If PCB is good enough to use in the Abrams tank that I trust my life to, it is okay to have a bit in my amp.

My list of good Fender amps in current production:

59 Bassman LTD
    65 Super Reverb Reissue
    65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue
    Blues Junior and Pro Junior

No experience with the 65 Twin, but my buddy really likes his.

19. Tag

Not IMO. I have owned both, and have A/bd them on many, many occasions. The 59 bassman RI, Victoria bassman, and original Fender 59s sound EXTREMELY similar, and no different than three different vintage ones sound. The SRRI is dead on the money.

20. Tag

AGREED!! Not only that, the stock Fender amps blow 99% of the "boutiques" out of the water tonally speaking. I went throgh all the hype, owned and played almost everything. The stock Fenders can hang or surpass anything, at ANY price. Same with the Vox CC. :dude