Super reverb vs pro reverb

bloozeman1

I own both a 66 super and 66 pro reverb. Is it redundant to have both? Aren't they pretty much the same circuit and amp but 4x10 vs 2x12? Trying to convince myself to sell or keep the pro reverb

zenas

The Pro used a smaller output transformer so it breaks up at a lower volume level than a Super. Then again that "lower volume level" depends on speaker efficient and if you can play loud enough today anyway.
Don't have a Pro but I've got more Fender Reverbs than I need, like two Twins and two Supers. It'd make sence to sell a few but I'm a guy and we need to own more stuff than we need. Women don't understand that.

Red House

Gold Supporting Member
I own both a 66 super and 66 pro reverb. Is it redundant to have both? Aren't they pretty much the same circuit and amp but 4x10 vs 2x12? Trying to convince myself to sell or keep the pro reverb
If you really need the money, then sell the Pro.

Otherwise, keep it, it's a great amp.

Gridlock

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve wondered the same. I’ve owned most SF and BF Fender combo amps 2 - 6 times each, but the one Fender combo amp that I’ve never owned, was a Pro Reverb.

I always thought that the Super and Pro were virtually the same amp minus the cab and speakers.

I currently own have a BF Super Reverb that I love but I have wondered how a Pro Reverb would sound in comparison. I’ve always been a 12” speaker guy before owning Princeton Reverbs, Vibrolux Reverbs, and Super Reverb’s with 10” speakers.

I guess that keeping one amp or both comes down to which amp that you prefer, the need to sell an amp, or if you decide to keep both in your collection.

I would really be curious to here the OP’s perception of each amp.

GA20T

The two Pro Reverbs I've tried—both black panels— sounded a bit cold and hard. I kind of assumed that was a thing they had going on and pretty much stopped looking at them seriously. Could easily have happened upon two bum examples though.

The few old Supers I'm familiar with are just about perfect, if not actually perfect for my tastes.

sideman

I like a BFSR a lot, and am a little ambivalent about a BFPR. Generally, the former tend to sound great, and the latter less so. The difference between four 10s and two 12s is yuge. Two good Ceramic 12s put out a lot of sound, including lows and mids, where a SR can struggle (particularly w CTS AlNiCos). But the latter has tremendous edgy lead tones (early Ronnie Earl, Anson Funderburg, Jimmy Vaughan). I keep a 66 PR for loud, usually outdoor gigs. But don't use it indoors. If volume levels were where they were 10 years ago it would be SR or 5F6A all the way. As it is, even a SR is too much for 90% of my work now.

Dont need the money. Just wondering if they were too close of the same amp to justify 2

The end game here is how similarly these two amps sound, and you're the only person on TGP who can determine how "similar" your two specific amps are for your own application.

Circuitry and components are objective, and the theoretical pros and cons of each of these models in their stock state is well documented.

Speakers, tubes, and the health of the circuit will effect each amp on an individual basis.

Only you can decide whether your two specific amps are too similar.

If you find them sonically redundant, then indeed they are. If you find each of them offers its own unique flavor, then that is also valid. Then it simply becomes a matter of whether they both offer an equally desirable uniqueness, or if one's sound is more desirable than the other and whether the "lesser" amp is no longer needed in the collection.

bigben55

I had one of each for a while, both 1966s. Yes I think its redundant to have both. Was for me at least. I thought the Super sounded better, but the Pro sounded GOOD. AND it was easier to lug to gigs. But ultimately, it's a pedal amp. Both are these days.

caspersvapors

Silver Supporting Member
Why not just utilize them for different purposes? Like keep the super american sounding and put celestions in the pro...or take a speaker out of the pro and run it mismatched so you have a lighter, less headroom combo amp. Id get creative before deciding to sell either of those

RodR

I currently have both. A mostly original '67 Super Reverb with CTS alnicos, and a '66 Pro Reverb that has both power and output transformers replaced, with two mistery speakers I can't ID. Other than that the Pro Reverb is all stock inside. I think the Pro has thicker, warmer feel, a sprinkle of tweed. Different than the Super for sure. Also breaks up sooner with a more marshally edge. I've kept both for that reason.

Mattbedrock

A player who collects
Gold Supporting Member
I have both - a '66 BF Pro and a '69 SF Super. While I love them both, they see very little gig time lately. Too big, heavy and loud for most venues I play at the days. The Pro has a wonderful rich warm sound and the Super is super. Loud, proud and aggressive.

I'm keeping mine because they are awesome even if not very useful.

bigben55

I sold the Pro a year or 2 ago, and just sold the Super a few months ago. Same reason, to loud to gig at their sweet spots for me. KILLER amps for sure though.

blackba

Platinum Supporting Member
Why not just utilize them for different purposes? Like keep the super american sounding and put celestions in the pro...or take a speaker out of the pro and run it mismatched so you have a lighter, less headroom combo amp. Id get creative before deciding to sell either of those

I think this is the best option. I would run them in stereo. Or as you said tweak one say the pro with some scumback speakers, 1.5kohm negative feedback resistor and rock out.

bloozeman1

I think this is the best option. I would run them in stereo. Or as you said tweak one say the pro with some scumback speakers, 1.5kohm negative feedback resistor and rock out.
Im a blues and blues rock player. What is the best speaker for the pro?

jazzwannabe

Gold Supporting Member
In addition to the different speaker configuration and output transformer, the Super Reverb has a midrange control. That might or might not matter for your uses.

blackba

Platinum Supporting Member
Im a blues and blues rock player. What is the best speaker for the pro?

I run a pair of eminence ga-sc64 with my bandmaster reverb and they sound great for clean and gain. I also like the bandmaster through my Vox cab which has a scumback h75 and scumnico. It’s a much different sound, but cool none the less.

woof*

In addition to the different speaker configuration and output transformer, the Super Reverb has a midrange control. That might or might not matter for your uses.
Yep less power and headroom, no mid control.
They really are two different amps. I sold my Pro a couple yrs ago but I’ll never sell my Supers

bloozeman1

I run a pair of eminence ga-sc64 with my bandmaster reverb and they sound great for clean and gain. I also like the bandmaster through my Vox cab which has a scumback h75 and scumnico. It’s a much different sound, but cool none the less.
I have a GA 64 in my 64 deluxe reverb.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom