Super-Sonic 60 1-12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BluntForceTrauma, Nov 19, 2017.

1. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

So after having bought this Fender Super-Sonic 60 1-12 a few weeks ago I finally got a chance to play it with the band at rehearsal. Clean channel is stupid loud. Can't get it above 1 on the volume dial. Burn channel on 3 was about right and I was really surprised how much I liked the amp. Thought I was going to hate it, but it sits real nice in the mix with the band. Now if I could tame that clean channel. Used to think I was strictly a Marshall man, but I'm liking this amp. I'm going to order a pair of JJ 6V6's and see if I can get the volume down some.

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

The 6v6’s will lower your headroom some

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Is that amp designed to run 6V6s?

4. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Nope. But I've run JJ 6V6's in various other amps before. They will take the heat.

5. Alder Statesman

Alder Statesman Member

Alternatively to swapping the power tubes, put a volume pedal in the fx loop.

6. adauria

adauria Member

My SS60 1x12 (script logo, newer design) is my main amp. I play it at church regularly (generally miked, from a backroom). I dig all 3 channels. The darn thing is loud as heck, though. I keep the clean setting on about 2-3 (and alternative use the vib/bassman channels depending on the guitar I'm playing) and the burn channel about 3+. I try to get something like unity between the channels. As mentioned, it's miked up in the back room (we use M48s with in-ears), but any higher than that and it will definitely leak out loud enough to be noticeable on the stage.

You realize that there 2 clean channels, right? I find the Bassman (red) channel to be significantly louder (and warmer) than the Vibrolux (green) channel. Maybe try switching to the latter and see if you can crank it a little more? Forgive me if you know this already, but let's start with the obvious, because I don't have a huge disparity between my clean channel(s) and my burn channel.

-Andrew

7. lefromagegrand

lefromagegrand Member

Don’t mess with the power tubes, rather swap out the V1 preamp tube for at 12AT7 or 12AU7 (rather than the 12AX7 that’s in there). That’ll greatly reduce the output of the 1st gain stage, which typically feeds the clean channel and it’ll improve the perceived taper of the clean channels’ volume knob too.

Phillip McKnight has a YouTube vid on his channel we’re he does the same thing with a Hot Rod Deluxe... works like a charm, won’t damage your amp and is 100% reversible. Cheaper than a full set of 6v6s too.

8. Family Man

Family Man Silver Supporting Member

You bought an amp expecting to hate it?

olgluefoot likes this.
  9. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

I knew there were 2 clean channels, but didn't know the Bassman was louder. Bassman is the one I always play on. I do have a huge disparity between the channels. I can barely have it on 1 on the clean channel and even then it's loud. Perhaps it's something to do with the taper on the clean channel volume pot.

10. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

No. Although I didn't really buy the amp I sort of ended up with it in the middle of a trade. I meant I thought I would hate this amp in the context of the band I'm in. I usually use a Hughes & Kettner or a Blackstar amp. This Fender is totally out of my comfort zone. Totally different sound for me, but surprisingly good.

Family Man likes this.
  11. cap47

cap47 Member

PLay it and get used to it ! I find I get better reverb by putting a good ANOS 12AT7 in where the stock 12AT7 reverb tube is. Don't know if it is because I just had a bum stock tube in that position but it was a very noticeable difference.

12. 8len8

8len8 Supporting Member

Put a patch cable in the effect loop, then dial down the volume with the loop volume control.

adauria and cap47 like this.
  13. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

I'll try that. I put a cable in the loop to use the loop as a solo boost. Works well when you dial the loop volume up. Not sure I want to lose that feature but it might be worth a shot.

14. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

The 6V6's will double the output/speaker load to 16 ohms (is the 60 an 8 ohm amp?)

15. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Can't say anything bad about my SS-60.

16. maxx77

maxx77 Member

I play mine, around 2 (bassman side).
    There is a difference between the block logo and the script logo (you can mod the older one to get updates). The legend says that volume is more controlable

17. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

So how does putting a 12AT7 in V1 affect the dirty channel? My favorite dirt pedal just got taken off my pedalboard (got extremely noisy out of the blue) and I'm just using the Burn channel for dirt. Don't want to mess that up

18. lefromagegrand

lefromagegrand Member

It’ll probably give you a little less gain for a given gain-knob position. It might also slightly change the overall tone. Here’s a link where the tube assignments are stated (about 4 posts down):

https://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=92136

V1 is the input stage for both channels, with V2 being the gain stage for the clean channel ... might be worth trying a lower gain-factor tube in either position to see what works best for you. A 12ay7, 12au7, 5751, 12at7 etc would all be worth looking at.

For the sake of what, $10 and 30 seconds swapping out a tube, you might find your SS60 becomes everything you want it to be.

If either approach does change the tone in a negative way, just pop the original back in.

Gotta be better than buying a full set of 6v6s, re-biasing and then running an amp in a configuration it’s not designed for etc.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017